Here's a good example of how fans can be too critical...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL thats great...

So even thou internet and no forums to bash teams, they were getting letters on how to run their teams, and just like now those people had no clue either

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Interesting article.

On a sidenote....I think Tobin Rote is one of the most forgotten great Packer quarterbacks. A guy that was truly ahead of his time. A great running and throwing quarterback.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's pretty funny. That's why I laugh when people make comments that new players "will never" do this or that. Last season, all we heard was that "Rodgers would NEVER take the Packers to the playoffs" Guess what? He did. Now we hear that "He'll never win a Super Bowl" and that "He'll never be the player Brett Favre is." While those things may or may not be true (Hopefully not), it's far too early in Rodger's career to tell, and making statements like that only make you look like an idiot.

Anyway, just more proof that the fans aren't always right either. Maybe, just maybe, the people getting paid to make decisions know what they're doing more so than we do.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My line of thought is that if the outsiders were so good, they'd be employed in the NFL. That goes for analysts, fans and such.

I'm not saying that everyone employed in the NFL is great, but the really good ones are in there.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That really is awesome but nothing changes. We are still all the same even 50 years later... Fun to read!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...but how could he be wrong about Starr but right about Lombardi. Aren't we all completely right or completely wrong!?!?!?!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I remember when Holmgren and Wolf came to Green Bay (I was in my very early 30's at the time) and Favre found himself in the starting lineup...how the Letters to the Editor page, and the columnists, of the Appleton Post-Crescent and Green Bay Press-Gazette just LIT up all three of 'em. Wolf/Holmgren/Favre's first season in Green Bay wasn't a real pretty thing even though they dramatically improved from ANYTHING that the Infante/Bratz/Majik regime put on the field in previous years. It was evident to me that the changes being made were more than the 'lipstick on a pig' kind of thing ... but my gawd, it got ugly in the sports sections of the papers in the Fox River Valley... ESPN was something of an after-thought at the time so I couldn't refer to what went on there ... but this thread and the letter to Ole just proves that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Holmgren and Wolf came to Green Bay (I was in my very early 30's at the time) and Favre found himself in the starting lineup...how the Letters to the Editor page, and the columnists, of the Appleton Post-Crescent and Green Bay Press-Gazette just LIT up all three of 'em. Wolf/Holmgren/Favre's first season in Green Bay wasn't a real pretty thing even though they dramatically improved from ANYTHING that the Infante/Bratz/Majik regime put on the field in previous years. It was evident to me that the changes being made were more than the 'lipstick on a pig' kind of thing ... but my gawd, it got ugly in the sports sections of the papers in the Fox River Valley... ESPN was something of an after-thought at the time so I couldn't refer to what went on there ... but this thread and the letter to Ole just proves that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Espn mostly just did reporting. No where near the sports talk empire it is now.

You are 100% right. The fans hated the changes early on. The Favre trade was panned to be one of the worst the team ever made. While I despise Brett, the trade was epic and hands down a top 10 trade of all time.

A 1st for a flop of a 2nd round pick? I would have been up in arms over that if it happened today.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The Favre trade was panned to be one of the worst the team ever made. While I despise Brett, the trade was epic and hands down a top 10 trade of all time.

I remember sitting in a barbershop in Manitowoc, where I lived at the time listening to the regulars in there just blistering Favre and Holmgren after the Bears just kicked the Pack's *** at Lambeau...as I recall it was like 30-10, but the game wasn't as close as the score indicated. Well, I'm in the chair and the barber was getting more and more pissed by the minute as I started defending Holmgren and Favre - you know, there was no defending them after that game, but I did...hahaha...and got the worst friggen haircut of my life, all because I predicted they'd make the playoffs once they learned the West Coast offense Holmgren ran - they didn't make the playoffs, but could have had they not laid an egg in the finale against the Vikies.

The haircut? As gawd is my witness, that ***** barber took off half of my right eyebrow.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there are probably similiar examples where a fan hit it on the head. We all have different viewpoints not only about football but things in life. Making examples of people for their beliefs is not something I like.

Members online

Latest posts