Here we go again!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok well I've always been on the fence about TT...But for the second year in a row we are not considered in any FA talks..

OF the top 30 UFA as sited by ESPN we are reportedly talking to 0...I mean seriously this is considered by many to be the best market in the last 10 yrs and we havent even batted an eye at any big names...

All the FA's we reportedly have been in contact with, have fell off the map...

Travis Henry reportedly is close to working out a deal with the broncos, willis magahee is nearing an agreement with the giants, Ahman signed with the texans, and randy moss is supposedly going to be a patriot..

WHAT IS HAPPENING??? How can people keep backing TT, we can't fill all 6 team needs through the draft...How many picks actually pan out? We have to become more active...I thought we were on the right foot but now I feel we dont have a leg to stand on...People better seriously start praying our slated RB draft pick pans out...Because as of now, I know we have some decent RB's but they cant take us the distance...In all reality they cant!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OF the top 30 UFA as sited by ESPN we are reportedly talking to 0...I mean seriously this is considered by many to be the best FA market in the last 10 yrs and we havent even batted an eye at any big names...

Who told you that?

Every major media outlet has identified this as a weak free agent class. ESPN being one of them. Last years class was stronger.

Here's a pretty good article

Pro Football Weekly

Why are so many people shocked that Green Bay isn't going out for big name players? They didn't do it last year until a week into free agency and they won't this year or any year unless they fall in love with a player.

Looking at some of the contracts signed. The Packers have made the right moves.

Although I'd like to see some of the money we have given to Nick Barnett.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
look I wanted the Packers to go out and sign people to but TT is doing the right thing people are getting way way overpaid. Nate Clements 80 mil? becoming the highest defensive paid player ever!

Reaction score
Travis Henry is one substance abuse violation away from a one year suspension.

McGhaee, well that's the first I've heard of him working on a contract with the Giants.

The Moss to Pats thing is JUST A RUMOUR.

There are still options out there for us, the least of which is Chris Henry (just throwing out a name of some talented backs still out there).

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still got Jamal Lewis and Chris Brown or trade for Tatum Bell who is young and has experience in the ZBS I choose option 3 Tatum Bell.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's too early to be up in arms about not going after any FA, but I really wish we would at least be in the running for some of them. We need a back now that Green's gone, and I hate relying so much on the draft like we have the last few years. I think people just want to have that feeling we all got when we signed Reggie White.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Moss to the Patriots?

Are the Patriots willng to trade Tom Brady for Randy Moss?

(Big Ole Smile.)

R.P.

LOL.. Tom Brady would look like Ryan Leaf behind that line in Oakland:) Your Raiders need alot of help, like a Hershel Walker type trade for Moss, Mr. Davis give the ViQueens a call. :whippin:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahahahahaha i love this ... let the freak out begin....

oh no.... WE ARENT LISTED ON ANY OF ESPNS 10000 lists about stuff that might or might not happen between now and the time the season starts.

freakin chill out... people are over paying like hell right now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
last year Ted singed 2 of the top 10 f/a listed...Kamp( all be it hours b4 f/a it still was a big time signing) and pickett..

then got Woodson...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's too early to be up in arms about not going after any FA, but I really wish we would at least be in the running for some of them. We need a back now that Green's gone, and I hate relying so much on the draft like we have the last few years. I think people just want to have that feeling we all got when we signed Reggie White.
Yup, i think your right. Lets face it, there IS no Reggie White out there to go after.
I think people are jumping the gun on TT not moving fast enough for them. Yes, i'd like to see things get done too. But the season doesn't start for several months yet, so as long as things get done by then, why abandon ship now? I can't see paying rediculous prices for players that we have seen being payed out the last few days.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is today, the 5th day of free agency? relax. it will be ok. Patience is KEY. i think patience is one of Thompson's best characteristics as a GM. All these other teams have a "sky is falling" mentality, and look what happens. the Texans pay a broken down RB about $6 million a year. The 49ers sign a so-so CB $80 million over 10 years. Those are the types of moves that put a team in salary cap hell.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cap hell, something SF has experience with....and yet, as in so man other arenas, history repeats itself!

Pissing good money after bad with so many of these early signings. The only guy who appears worthy of his deal is Adalius Thomas....beyond that, panic purchases.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT traveled under the radar thru the entire FA period last year and by the time it was over had actually been as active but more prudent than any team out there.

There is a ton of good players still there and we have something like the second highest amount of money yet to spend in the league.

When you negotiate ALWAYS do it from a position of STRENGTH vs. weakness. When FA started EVERY TEAM had money which gave the players the position of strength. There's guys out there not worth half what they just signed for.

AS the money gets spent we regain a stronger position. There's still some very good players out there but less money to spend by our competition. We're fine.

I posted on another thread that it looks like there are several GM's out there sweating it some and feeling the heat tho win. The reality of it is a very small percentage of these guys are going to have that big of an impact.

A good FA helps a team get better. Some of these guys are getting paid to a degree they better carry the team on their back. It has failure written all over it.

This is how bad it has gotten. KGB's contract previously looked like the Packers were getting seriously shafted. Now it's a bargain. That guy from Tampa, for example, had like 5 sacks and just got a *** of cash.

We thought we could never get rid of him with that salary and now it would take one phone call.

That TT does not get caught up in this craziness is fine by me.

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refpacker said:
OF the top 30 UFA as sited by ESPN we are reportedly talking to 0...I mean seriously this is considered by many to be the best FA market in the last 10 yrs and we havent even batted an eye at any big names...

Who told you that?

Every major media outlet has identified this as a weak free agent class. ESPN being one of them. Last years class was stronger.

Pro Football Weekly

Why are so many people shocked that Green Bay isn't going out for big name players? They didn't do it last year until a week into free agency and they won't this year or any year unless they fall in love with a player.

Not a good market?????????
Adalius thomas, Travis henry, joey porter, willis magahee, Thomas jones, lance briggs, london flethcer baker, ahman green, nate clements, dre bly.....Just look at all the moves or people who could be moved this years market is huge....Not all are FA's but al are definately attainable...

WHAT ARE YALL LOOKIN AT?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
refpacker said:

Who told you that?

Pro Football Weekly

Adalius thomas, Travis henry, joey porter, willis magahee, Thomas jones, lance briggs, london flethcer baker, ahman green, nate clements, dre bly.....Just look at all the moves or people who could be moved this years market is huge....Not all are FA's but al are definately attainable...

WHAT ARE YALL LOOKIN AT?

Did you read the article?

Evidently not. This market is okay. It's not very strong. Half the guys you named aren't part of the free agent market. They're available through trade.

McGahee and Jones are both under contract and only available with compensation. Bly available through trade. A division rival at that. Briggs available through trade and is a franchise player. He‘s under contract for one more year now. Another division rival too.

London Fletcher is a good but aging player.

Would you pay 80 million for Nate Clements and 22 up front for him when we already have Woodson and Harris?

Keep in mind if the Packers do that then the contracts Woodson and Harris get look like jokes and it gives them a very legit reason to hold out.

Every single media outlet has called this a fairly weak class for the most front. The additions of Porter and Henry helped but it’s far from the best class in the last ten year. Your entitled to your opinion but at least look at all four sides of the square.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah....it's true TT could go out and spend money like a drunken sailor, but in the end would it be worth it?
The high money these players are getting is just plain crazy.
AND.......if you spend all your money on ONE big signing, unless he can make an impact like Reggie White, wouldn't be worth it.
AND.....if you dole out all your FA money on one guy, whats left for the rest, or for next year and down the line?
And just because you sign one of these guys is no guarentee that they are gonna take you to the Super Bowl.
GM's are jumping all over each other trying to out bid to get a guy. The Texans paid Ahman Green an insane amount of money. I would hope the Packer office would be a little more frugal when it comes to spending, so that the future is'nt destroyed in salary cap hell.

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refpacker said:
porky88 said:
refpacker said:

Who told you that?

Pro Football Weekly

WHAT ARE YALL LOOKIN AT?

Did you read the article?

Evidently not. This market is okay. It's not very strong. Half the guys you named aren't part of the free agent market. They're available through trade.

McGahee and Jones are both under contract and only available with compensation. Bly available through trade. A division rival at that. Briggs available through trade and is a franchise player. He‘s under contract for one more year now. Another division rival too.

London Fletcher is a good but aging player.

Would you pay 80 million for Nate Clements and 22 up front for him when we already have Woodson and Harris?

Keep in mind if the Packers do that then the contracts Woodson and Harris get look like jokes and it gives them a very legit reason to hold out.

Every single media outlet has called this a fairly weak class for the most front. The additions of Porter and Henry helped but it’s far from the best class in the last ten year. Your entitled to your opinion but at least look at all four sides of the square.

Dont forget lavar arrington, randy moss, jeff garcia....Those people are just considerin FA's...im takin into account all players available or on trading blocks.....IT is a huge market look at these names!!!

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah....it's true TT could go out and spend money like a drunken sailor, but in the end would it be worth it?
The high money these players are getting is just plain crazy.
AND.......if you spend all your money on ONE big signing, unless he can make an impact like Reggie White, wouldn't be worth it.
AND.....if you dole out all your FA money on one guy, whats left for the rest, or for next year and down the line?
And just because you sign one of these guys is no guarentee that they are gonna take you to the Super Bowl.
GM's are jumping all over each other trying to out bid to get a guy. The Texans paid Ahman Green an insane amount of money. I would hope the Packer office would be a little more frugal when it comes to spending, so that the future is'nt destroyed in salary cap hell.

Your right it doesnt gaurantee u a shot at the superbowl, but you'd have a better shot than a team that just lost its only reputable RB and has no deep threat...

Point is whether they are FA's or players on trading blocks it doesnt matter....we are making no moves what so ever....ITs costing us and there are big names out there...

Members online

Latest posts