Here we go again - Abbrederis is done

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe one of the reasons why the Packers have such a hard time ever signing free agents is their reputation for injuries. Why make a choice to come to Green Bay only to face an elevated injury riskWe like to blame TT for not signing free agents maybe a lot of agents are consulting their clients to stay clear of the injury curse.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks for Abby. I feel for him.

But for the team, it's not the end of the world. It might prevent us from having to make a difficult decision on cut day. It opens the door for the very talented Janis to make the team, or perhaps a dark horse like White. And it gives Abbrederis a year to learn the playbook and he can start fresh hopefully in time for OTA's next year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe one of the reasons why the Packers have such a hard time ever signing free agents is their reputation for injuries. Why make a choice to come to Green Bay only to face an elevated injury riskWe like to blame TT for not signing free agents maybe a lot of agents are consulting their clients to stay clear of the injury curse.
Couldn't disagree more

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

The Packers picked up Sherrod from the Ravens. He spent last season on their practice squad. At 6-2 and 211 he has size, I hope he has the hands to catch as well

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other news, rookie Brent Urban tore his ACL at Ravens TC.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Crap. I think he had a good start to TC and had a real chance to contribute this season, perhaps returning punts in addition to playing other STs and WR. Obviously it's not a "back-breaker" for the team but I'm not painting any lipstick on the pig that is Abby's missing this season. BTW, just like Bulaga's last year, this isn't a "freak" injury just because it didn't happen in a regular season game.

There's no way to know for sure, but I don't think a single UFA has considered the rate of injury of a team he's considering signing with.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers haven't announced any information about the secerity of Abbrederis' injury so far.

A source guaranteed Jason Wilde that if Abby has an ACL tear he doesn't know about it, Tyler Dunne talked to Edgar Bennett who said he hasn't heard anything about it either.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've never thought TT has a hard time signing guys. It's just he doesn't want to or is unwilling to offer a lot.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I don't think Abbrederis was going to make the team anyway. I mean, I love the guy and was hoping he'd have a huge training camp. He's undersized and I read analysis from one scout at the combine that said he was, "Allergic to the weightroom."

That being said, I love the way he plays and hope he gets another shot.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think Abbrederis was going to make the team anyway. I mean, I love the guy and was hoping he'd have a huge training camp. He's undersized and I read analysis from one scout at the combine that said he was, "Allergic to the weightroom."
I disagree:
Abbrederis had been giving a good account of himself in the first five practices. He played bigger and stronger than advertised, and also projected to be one of the top two or three candidates to return punts.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...bbrederis-tore-acl-b99322747z1-269587251.html

He is also a great route runner with very good hands. Beyond that when was the last time a 5th rounder didn't make the team in his rookie season? It was extremely likely he'd make the team if he stayed healthy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

That being said, I love the way he plays and hope he gets another shot.

Yeah. I never like to see a guy down to injury but I see Abbrederis as a developmental guy at this point. He had the lowest bench reps of any receiver at the combine I think. A lot of peeps really wanting him to shine of course because he is an ex-badger. I think he was on a one way ticket to practice squad. The only way he was going to make it was returning punts IMO. Too much talent at receiver right now,

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers have an injury epidemic every year and you don't think the players and agents notice. That is obsurd to think no body notices when they have a choice of teams. The Packers have a systemic problem and it's getting worse

I'm waiting for you to provide any sort of proof to that statement, until then it's looks like myself and most of this board is going to label it ridiculous.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I disagree: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...bbrederis-tore-acl-b99322747z1-269587251.html

He is also a great route runner with very good hands. Beyond that when was the last time a 5th rounder didn't make the team in his rookie season? It was extremely likely he'd make the team if he stayed healthy.

When was the last time the Packers had this much depth at receiver?

Like others of said nobody really has any proof of the extent of the injury. McCarthy didn't seem to happy though discussing it so one can only speculate. But lets not act like Abbrederis is a lock to make the team even if he is healthy.

I really like Abbrederis and what he has done all the way through college and I grew up going to Badger games as my father went to Law School there but many on here questioned his durability leading up to the draft. I think either way he would be on practice squad and get called up in case of injuries like Myles White last year. He needs to get stronger.
IMO his only chance is as a punt returner on this years team.

The first four receivers are locks. Myles White is playing really well and has beefed up. I think were going to see a lot of Chris Harper in pre-season games. Dorsey is running on first team special teams as head hunter. Then there is Janis who has some ground to catch up. Whether Abbrederis is healthy or not it wont be an easy road.

IMO I think Harper and White fill out the group after the dust settles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think Abbrederis would have made the team as well but it hasn't been that long since a fifth round pick hasn't made the Packers opening week roster (Jason Meredith in 2009).

D

Deleted member 6794

When was the last time the Packers had this much depth at receiver?

Like others of said nobody really has any proof of the extent of the injury. McCarthy didn't seem to happy though discussing it so one can only speculate. But lets not act like Abbrederis is a lock to make the team even if he is healthy.

I really like Abbrederis and what he has done all the way through college and I grew up going to Badger games as my father went to Law School there but many on here questioned his durability leading up to the draft. I think either way he would be on practice squad and get called up in case of injuries like Myles White last year. He needs to get stronger.
IMO his only chance is as a punt returner on this years team.

The first four receivers are locks. Myles White is playing really well and has beefed up. I think were going to see a lot of Chris Harper in pre-season games. Dorsey is running on first team special teams as head hunter. Then there is Janis who has some ground to catch up. Whether Abbrederis is healthy or not it wont be an easy road.

IMO I think Harper and White fill out the group after the dust settles.

Out of the guys you mentioned Abbrederis was clearly the best receiver during the first days of camp. In addition he didn't muff any punts compared to White who has already done it four times.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im very surprised to see people thinking he wasnt going to make the team

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injury is a part of football, so I don't understand the secrecy surrounding them--not limited to the Packers, by the way. If the writers don't know what's going on, nobody outside the inner circle does at this point. Here's hoping it's a false alarm. I too was looking forward to Abbredaris returning punts this year.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im very surprised to see people thinking he wasnt going to make the team

That is because they are all crazy, he was going to make the team, it was as close to a lock as could be unless he completely imploded.

Members online

Latest posts