Henderson only expected to miss 2-3 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henderson out 2-3 weeks after knee scope

NFL.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Aug. 21, 2006) -- Veteran fullback William Henderson had arthroscopic knee surgery and will be out two to three weeks, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

Henderson injured his knee during the team's preseason game against Atlanta.

McCarthy said he hoped Henderson, who has missed only two games in his Packers career, will be back in time for the Sept. 10 season opener against Chicago.

"We're expecting him back as soon as possible," McCarthy said. "If anyone can get back in a quick, timely fashion, it would be William."

Henderson, 35, has spent all 11 of his NFL seasons in Green Bay.

"William has been a good football player here for a long time, both in the locker room and on the field," McCarthy said. "He's a big part of the direction we're going here, so obviously we want to get him back as soon as possible."

With Henderson out, the Packers may rely more on backup fullback Vonta Leach -- though Leach dropped a sure touchdown pass against Atlanta.

Coaches also have been using some of their tight ends and running backs at fullback. Running backs Samkon Gado and Noah Herron could see playing time at fullback in the team's preseason game in Cincinnati.

"It's unfortunate that we're missing William right now, but we've got to pick up the slack for him," Herron said. "It's part of being a running back group, and as deep as we are, we have the guys that can be interchangeable."

Gado admits that he'd much rather run with the ball than block for somebody else, but says he is willing to do whatever is asked of him.

"Let's not kid ourselves: I'd rather be carrying the ball," Gado said. "But honestly, it's really not about me. I had to get over that, because part of me wants to do nothing but play running back. But honestly, I have to get past myself. So that's no problem."

Gado saw Henderson on Aug. 21 and said his spirits were up.

"Thankfully, it's not a season-ending injury and he'll be back early in the season and he'll be able to play a lot of games," Gado said.

This is great news! Hopefully he'll be ready Week 1.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is good news Packersfan43084, I was expecting 3-6 weeks. Thanks for the news !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts