Hearing a cheer for Carroll over chorus of boos

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Culture shock? Sure. Translating to poor performance on the field? Nothing but an excuse...and a poor one at that.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus Christ! Did some of you bother to read the article

Usually in this profession, you don't "root" for players. Rules of objectivity discourage it. But human nature being what it is, you sometimes can't help it.

I root for Carroll to succeed. The noise you just heard wasn't a tornado, but the air being sucked out of Wisconsin by gasping Packers followers questioning my intelligence and screaming: "You do what?!"

Many wouldn't mind if the Packers cut ties with the penalty-prone, waste of a first-round pick with an attitude problem. I don't see it that way. Carroll came out of college as a junior and that was a mistake.

But ever since he was drafted, he has faced hurdles.

First, Mike Sherman selected him in the first round when, because of his inexperience, he wasn't worthy of being a first-round pick. That alone elevated expectations compared to if he was a second- or third-round choice.

Second, Mike McKenzie's orchestrated flight to New Orleans forced Carroll into the starting lineup as a rookie when he wasn't ready for it mentally or physically.

Third, the NFL instituted tougher rules for defensive backs on illegal contact. That was all Carroll had ever known while at Arkansas and, in all honesty, his speed and physical play were the main reasons Sherman drafted him in the first place.

Fourth, and not to be taken lightly, is the adjustment for an African-American growing up in Atlanta to moving to and living in Green Bay. It's a culture shock to put it mildly — and it doesn't help when the hometown fans are booing you.

No one could blame Carroll for being frustrated with things he couldn't control and with his own physical abilities being questioned probably for the first time in his life.

After being demoted with the acquisition of Charles Woodson, I expected Carroll to be bitter, but he wasn't. He said his goal for his third season was to get eight interceptions and be the best special teams player he can be.

Of course, eight is unrealistic considering he has three for his career. But you can't fault him for setting his goals high.

Carroll is a gifted athlete and he can be a productive NFL starting cornerback. He has already suffered through a lot of adversity and I'm partial to people — in sports and in life — who can weave through life's obstacles and reach the finish line.

THERE IS NO RACE CARD IN THIS ARTICLE. THE AUTHOR ALSO OFFERED NO EXCUSES -- HE IS CRITICAL OF CARROLL FOR COMING OUT OF COLLEGE TOO EARLY AND HE FOLLOWS THAT BY NAMING SOME HURDLES HE SEES THAT CARROLL HAS FACED

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Bottom line, the writer was way off base. The knock on Carroll coming out was that he did not take coaching well, somewhat beligerent/stubborn, and way to brash for his accomplishments.

The same knock on Charles Woodson

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll did bite against the Saints for the go ahead score in the 1st half. So it's not like his play has been subperb. It's been fairly inconsistent. Also now that Carroll is receiving praise, there is a good chance he screws up big against Philly and has a couple of penalties.

It's bound to happen :)

None the less I don't think it's Carroll making a huge stride from year 2 to year 3. I think it's he's more of a nickel back than a starting CB.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
And Collins isn't exactly making great strides either, nor is Poppinga

Not seeing where Collins and Poppinga fit into this thread. I agree with it but if you want to talk Collins and Poppinga, Why not make the proper thread to do so?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Not seeing where Collins and Poppinga fit into this thread. I agree with it but if you want to talk Collins and Poppinga, Why not make the proper thread to do so?

Had to find a new argument since the majority agreed with him on Carrolls play??

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Had to find a new argument since the majority agreed with him on Carrolls play??

Zzzzzzzzz.......get some new material please.

The point is that there is a bias by some when it comes to Carroll, try reading the last 2 pages of this thread before spewing your fabricated opinions all over the place Zero.

Carroll has been as good or as bad as Collins or Poppinga but when they don't perform it's "they are young" or "they will get better". It's a biased opinion of Carroll.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Zzzzzzzzz.......get some new material please.

The point is that there is a bias by some when it comes to Carroll, try reading the last 2 pages of this thread before spewing your fabricated opinions all over the place Zero.

Carroll has been as good or as bad as Collins or Poppinga but when they don't perform it's "they are young" or "they will get better". It's a biased opinion of Carroll.

I'm sure most were saying similar things about Carroll in his 2nd year last year. The difference is Carroll was our 1st round pick and that automatically brings in expectations.

Poppinga was a 4th round pick and Collins a 2nd round pick.

Again though Carroll is in his 3rd year and is slowly starting to come along. Let's see if it continues. The other 2 are 2nd year players who are struggling like Carroll has in the past. Hopefully they can come around as well but out of the 3 nobody has been a big play guy for us.

Members online

No members online now.