Hearing a cheer for Carroll over chorus of boos

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Brad Zimanek

Ahmad Carroll did something good Sunday. He made the play of the game in the Packers' first win of the season.

Yeah, he could have been called for one of his many pass interference penalties, but he wasn't. And, because of his tight coverage on Corey Bradford, the ball popped out of Bradford's hands and into the arms of Marquand Manuel, who returned it for a touchdown and a 14-7 lead en route to a 31-24 victory.

Good for him.

Usually in this profession, you don't "root" for players. Rules of objectivity discourage it. But human nature being what it is, you sometimes can't help it.

I root for Carroll to succeed. The noise you just heard wasn't a tornado, but the air being sucked out of Wisconsin by gasping Packers followers questioning my intelligence and screaming: "You do what?!"

Many wouldn't mind if the Packers cut ties with the penalty-prone, waste of a first-round pick with an attitude problem. I don't see it that way. Carroll came out of college as a junior and that was a mistake.

But ever since he was drafted, he has faced hurdles.

First, Mike Sherman selected him in the first round when, because of his inexperience, he wasn't worthy of being a first-round pick. That alone elevated expectations compared to if he was a second- or third-round choice.

Second, Mike McKenzie's orchestrated flight to New Orleans forced Carroll into the starting lineup as a rookie when he wasn't ready for it mentally or physically.

Third, the NFL instituted tougher rules for defensive backs on illegal contact. That was all Carroll had ever known while at Arkansas and, in all honesty, his speed and physical play were the main reasons Sherman drafted him in the first place.

Fourth, and not to be taken lightly, is the adjustment for an African-American growing up in Atlanta to moving to and living in Green Bay. It's a culture shock to put it mildly — and it doesn't help when the hometown fans are booing you.

No one could blame Carroll for being frustrated with things he couldn't control and with his own physical abilities being questioned probably for the first time in his life.

After being demoted with the acquisition of Charles Woodson, I expected Carroll to be bitter, but he wasn't. He said his goal for his third season was to get eight interceptions and be the best special teams player he can be.

Of course, eight is unrealistic considering he has three for his career. But you can't fault him for setting his goals high.

Carroll is a gifted athlete and he can be a productive NFL starting cornerback. He has already suffered through a lot of adversity and I'm partial to people — in sports and in life — who can weave through life's obstacles and reach the finish line.

Brad Zimanek can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 297, or at bzimanek@postcrescent. com.

Had to post this before someone else did and hacked the crap out of with painfull colors an misplaced boldface :)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I just read "he's black" as an excuse for his difficulties? LOL.

This article seemed to highlight Shermans mistake on drafting him. More of a "Blame Sherman, not Carroll" article.

And I wasn't going to mention this all week, but the play he made where the interception was made by Manuel...yeah, that sure was pass interference.

and go **** yourself, zero. :)

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The moron that composed this article said:
Fourth, and not to be taken lightly, is the adjustment for an African-American growing up in Atlanta to moving to and living in Green Bay. It's a culture shock to put it mildly

OMFG are you KIDDING ME... ****, you have angered me with this BS. What a joke. Yeah, "I'm an African American and I have a hard time adjusting to a football field because of it's latitude and longitude. And there are just too many nice people who's world revolve around the team I play for up here... I don't know what to do with myself".

You are a complete MORON.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
And I wasn't going to mention this all week, but the play he made where the interception was made by Manuel...yeah, that sure was pass interference.

After watching the play a few more times, it looks like Carroll's arm made contact with Bradfords arm at the same time the ball did and that Carroll swatted his arm south which made the ball bounce out.

and I will!!! for the sixth time today...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

This article seemed to highlight Shermans mistake on drafting him. More of a "Blame Sherman, not Carroll" article.

You gotta be kidding me. First of all until you've been black in a nearly all white area you shouldn't comment. Secondly the play was made by Carrol. The ball fell right into Manuel's hands with nobody around. Manuel hasn't made a play all season yet. He has definately been our weakest link.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
tromadz said:

You gotta be kidding me. First of all until you've been black in a nearly all white area you shouldn't comment.

Im not allowed to comment on the race card cuz im not of that race? I dont think so. I guess ryan should shut up too. I dont think so, depack. get outta here with that nonsense.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of young black players who do fine in Green Bay. I was surprised to see the writer haul that one out as a reason for Carroll's struggles.

But he played very well against the Lions, and I don't think there was pass intereference on that interception. To me, it looked like he hit Bradford at the same moment the ball arrived. You can't play it any better than that. Hopefully Carroll can string several good performances together now, instead of the usual up-down thing.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole article was a "reach" to try and defend carroll(mostly blaming sherman) and that one was the icing on the cake. lol. But im not allowed to comment...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't tell you to shut up. I said you shouldn't comment on something you know nothing about. Is anyone going to say it is easy for a 20 year old innercity african american man to move to Green Bay without making a serious adjustment. Then on top of that imagine trying to fit in and being booed constantly by an ignorant mostly white crowd.

And yea I think Ryan knows my rant was aimed at him too. I hit your "quote" button before reading his.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I didn't tell you to shut up. I said you shouldn't comment on something you know nothing about. Is anyone going to say it is easy for a 20 year old innercity african american man to move to Green Bay without making a serious adjustment. Then on top of that imagine trying to fit in and being booed constantly by an ignorant mostly white crowd.

1. I dont know about culture shock and adapting? Whatever you say, depack. I wasn't aware you had the inside scoop on what I know, and what I don't know (insert your joke there, i beg you).
2. yet ur an expert?
3. Why are they ignorant for booing him? Since when is wanting good play by a #1 draft pick CB, and then being disappointed by his 'bustness' ignorant?

And ok, ill even play devils advocate. It mighta been harder on him, due to his immaturity, but ...3 years. Lets get it goin, AC.

And yes, his 'big play' was a pass interference. If they stop penalizing P.I. then AC will be a stud, until then, we can only hope they continue to turn a blind eye.

RANT OVER! WHOOOOO! :takes off shirt and slams it on the ground: WHOOO!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, if Pass Interfering while luckilly not getting the flag is "gettin it goin" then...yikes.

my standard for "gettin it goin" is higher, I believe. AC frustrates me cuz hes such a gifted player yet is immature and unteachable apparently. Makes me sad, even more sad cuz he is on my green bay packers!

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Carroll did not committ pass interference on the play. Atleast not by the definition of pass interference.

From what I read http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/passinterference and seen on the clip. Carroll made a good play, legally.

I would have been more pleased if he would have hussled his *** after Manuel in case he fumbled or something, but hey, gotta take baby steps right?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched it again, and it sure was P.I.

We have the internet! Lets just look, go to zeros highlights.

It was close, but as the nfl rules say:

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.
--------------------
But hey, im glad we got away with one. we need any break we get, but I dont see any reason that this is a good thing(as far as his progression as a player).

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I had to watch it at 1/8 speed to accurately make my decision. The clip I presented does not offer that.

Watch it again, with your bi focals aimed accordingly.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.
--------------------
But hey, im glad we got away with one. we need any break we get, but I dont see any reason that this is a good thing(as far as his progression as a player).

Yeah,

and you wouldn't be biased about it now, would ya? :roll:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
majikman said:
tromadz said:

--------------------

Yeah,

and you wouldn't be biased about it now, would ya? :roll:

He is biased. Even if the NFL said it was a clean play, he'd dispute it because it was #28 and anyone who says its a legit play he will label a Ahmad Carroll lover. Quite sad, but atleast predictable.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where...did the namecalling come from?

Sad?

predictable?

I..never used "Ahmad Carroll Lover" in this thread. lay off the crack.

When play by play was being done, I was hyped up. I was excited to hear he did something. Then I seen the footage of it, and it was P.I.

But yeah, ur right, the officials never make mistakes. :roll:

effective immediately though.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Even if you're not at all touching the reciever? Didn't know this.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jdlax said:
tromadz said:

Even if you're not at all touching the reciever? Didn't know this.

Because it's wrong.

It wasn't pass interference.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol

This is amazing. A Packer player makes a good play and "fans" have to discredit it. With fans like that, who needs hecklers?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if by 'good' you mean illegal, then sure. I wish i didnt see the footage, so I could have the (misguided) notion that AC did great and could be progressing.

and yeah, question my fanhood, zero. nice.

grow up, zero. seriously. grow the **** up.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always supported AC becuase he was a kid and did come in early.

I like his talent and like all of you am frustrated becuase of what he could be with that talent. However.... And this is a big HOWEVER....

Is the author saying that he would be acting different and more mature if he was playing for Atlanta? Or, I hope not, but is the writer saying his behavour is acceptable and the norm in Atlanta becuase he is black and Atlanta has a large black population?

I am confused.

R.P.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I have always supported AC becuase he was a kid and did come in early.

I like his talent and like all of you am frustrated becuase of what he could be with that talent. However.... And this is a big HOWEVER....

Is the author saying that he would be acting different and more mature if he was playing for Atlanta? Or, I hope not, but is the writer saying his behavour is acceptable and the norm in Atlanta becuase he is black and Atlanta has a large black population?

I am confused.

R.P.

The author is tad off base in this article. He's giving Ahmad a cushion he doesn't deserve. Yes, he was drafted too early, but he is in his third year now. He shouldn't be getting fooled so badly on pump fakes like he did against the Saints. He's improving, but its terribly slow.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quit with the namecalling.

White, black, purple, green I don't care what color you are, don't pull the race card for your poor performance, that's bull. We used to go into heavy Hmong, Latino and African American areas to play soccer in HS and college. I still knew how to play the game when I was in someone else's house, that's not an excuse especially on your home field. Grow up and perform, or get cut or traded etc... quit with race crap.

Members online

Latest posts