Hawk Salary Cut

H

HardRightEdge

The details have been reported at JS Online. I don't have a subscription and I've run through my freebies for the month. Would someone care to go get the details and post them?

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Here you go :
Linebacker A.J. Hawk signed off on a restructured contract on Saturday that reduces the cash value of the final years by $7.25 million.
The Journal Sentinel's Tom Silverstein reported the existence of Hawk's pay cut Friday, but the depth of the reduction wasn't available until Monday.
Under the restructuring, Hawk is in line to be paid $10.6 million over the final three years of his contract compared with the $17.85 million that he was due. He signed a five-year, $33.75 million contract in March 2011, but since then has not made a turnover-producing play.
Hawk's cap salaries were reduced from $7.05 million to $5.2 million in 2013, from $7.55 million to $5.1 million in 2014 and from $8.05 million to the same $5.1 million in 2015.
This year, Hawk's base salary was whacked from $4.9 million to the $840,000 minimum for a veteran with seven years of experience. However, Hawk received a new roster bonus of $2.21 million that is payable to him on Wednesday.
His base salary was trimmed from $4.9 million to $2.45 million in 2014 and from $5.4 million to the same $2.45 million in 2015.
The average per year of the restructured deal was computed at $3.533 million. His old deal averaged $6.75 million.
The contract was negotiated by agent Mike McCartney, who at the combine in late February said the Packers had yet to approach his client about a cut.
Hawk's roster bonuses of $300,000 and workout bonuses of $250,000 remained the same in each of the three remaining years.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just going to post his article. More importantly, I wanted to ask if this changes any opinions for the anti-Hawk folks out there. I doubt it. I think the only thing that would change opinions about Hawk is if he would have been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of the #5 overall.

No matter what, this shows that the guy is realistic about his play and his worth.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

try rotoworld bro

Silly me. I looked at the team list and it was not updated. Quiz question, bro: what's the cap savings?

Here's rotoworld's news note:

"Packers ILB A.J. Hawk's pay cut stretches across the final three seasons of his contract and will cost him at least $7.25 million in potential earnings. The immediate pay cut is $1.85 million in 2013, and Hawk's 2014-2015 salaries were slashed by $2.45 million and $2.85 million, respectively. In exchange, the Packers guaranteed $2.21 million of Hawk's new 2013 base salary ($3.6 million). Hawk, 29, graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 20 inside linebacker in 2012. He was adequate against the run but a liability versus the pass."​
Mar 18 - 4:34 PM​

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I was just going to post his article. More importantly, I wanted to ask if this changes any opinions for the anti-Hawk folks out there. I doubt it. I think the only thing that would change opinions about Hawk is if he would have been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of the #5 overall.

No matter what, this shows that the guy is realistic about his play and his worth.

I'll say this. The dead cap money from the old signing bonus doesn't go away, but the cap and cash hit for 2013 and 2014 goes down. That makes keeping him a better bargain relative to dead cap than he was before.

Still don't like him much as a player, but at least he's cheaper.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an aside, it's easy to get unlimited articles, by either 1) clearing your cookies when you reach the limit, or 2) open the article in an incognito window (or whatever it's called with your browser, I use Google Chrome and they call it an incognito window.)

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

As an aside, it's easy to get unlimited articles, by either 1) clearing your cookies when you reach the limit, or 2) open the article in an incognito window (or whatever it's called with your browser, I use Google Chrome and they call it an incognito window.)

I like my cookies. (That sounded a little weird).

I don't know what an incognito window is, but you reminded me I have Google Chrome and IE installed that I never use. Just accessing JS Online using those browsers instead of my usual Firefox seems to get me separate access quotas for each. I'll have to try it out for GBPG.

Thanks.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like my cookies. (That sounded a little weird).

I don't know what an incognito window is, but you reminded me I have Google Chrome and IE installed that I never use. Just accessing JS Online using those browsers instead of my usual Firefox seems to get me separate access quotas for each. I'll have to try it out for GBPG.

Thanks.

That's another way, if you have multiple browsers you can get 20 articles on each. To open an incognito window in Chrome, just right-click on the article you want to read and then left click "Open in Incognito window". Just like that, it's like you're reading your 1st article every time.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know how guaranteed money Hawk has left after this season. In other words how much dead money is left after this year?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Anyone know how guaranteed money Hawk has left after this season. In other words how much dead money is left after this year?

He had an $8 mil signing bonus in his 5 year deal that started in 2011. The prorated cap hit from that bonus does not go away with this recent pay cut.

So, $8 mil / 5 x 2 = $3.2 mil dead cap money if he's cut after 2013/before 2014. His dead cap for this year is $4.8 mil (same as before) if for some reason he's released before 6/1/13, though that's highly unlikely since it would be an expression of bad faith.

He has no guaranteed money left in his contract; "guaranteed" is not synonymous with "dead cap".

It is frequently noted that terms and gross amounts of contracts don't matter much; it's said that the guaranteed amount is what counts. I've said this myself. But the amount of signing bonus is important as well. If it's big enough, it can function as a poison pill. Circumstances can be such that all the guarantees have been paid out, but the balance of the prorated signing bonus creates a disincentive to cutting a guy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts