Hawk gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Does anyone know specifics on exactly when the Packers are on the hook for Hawk's huge salary? The date that it becomes guaranteed (or if it is guaranteed at all) will play a large part in whether he re-signs, gets cut, or plays out his current deal.

It depends on the CBA by the end of this week.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should've been more clear. I was referring to the wording in the contract, not the state of the CBA. Is his money guaranteed on first day of league year? First game? Not guaranteed at all? That kind of thing.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I should've been more clear. I was referring to the wording in the contract, not the state of the CBA. Is his money guaranteed on first day of league year? First game? Not guaranteed at all? That kind of thing.

I should have been clearer too. As I understand it. If a new CBA is done this week or the old one is continued. Then his money is guaranteed the end of this week.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This is from the NFC North Blog of ESPN.com;

"Meanwhile, Hawk's contract calls for him to have a $10 million base salary in 2011. The deal includes an escalator that will push that figure to the franchise number for inside linebackers if it is higher, according to information I've seen, and the cash will be guaranteed if Hawk is on the Packers' roster at the start of the league year."

The league year officially starts when the new deal is ratified.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from the NFC North Blog of ESPN.com;

"Meanwhile, Hawk's contract calls for him to have a $10 million base salary in 2011. The deal includes an escalator that will push that figure to the franchise number for inside linebackers if it is higher, according to information I've seen, and the cash will be guaranteed if Hawk is on the Packers' roster at the start of the league year."

The league year officially starts when the new deal is ratified.

Not exactly. There is talk to have the new deal in place then give teams a week or a few days before the season starts to give them time to deal with things like this. I think Florio or Peter King have covered this topic before.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Not exactly. There is talk to have the new deal in place then give teams a week or a few days before the season starts to give them time to deal with things like this. I think Florio or Peter King have covered this topic before.

Yeah, with the way things are right now they *could* do any number of things. Everything is basically speculation until we see what happens a the end of the week.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, with the way things are right now they *could* do any number of things. Everything is basically speculation until we see what happens a the end of the week.

Its pretty much a given that its not going to start when they agree to the new cba, it wouldnt be in anyones interest.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love AJ for a number of reasons:
-He never misses games. Never for injury.
-You never hear any crap from him.
-He is a leader of the defense.

Barnett has the leader part down, but doesnt have the first two. Cut Barnett and give hawk his contract.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love AJ for a number of reasons:
-He never misses games. Never for injury.
-You never hear any crap from him.
-He is a leader of the defense.

Barnett has the leader part down, but doesnt have the first two. Cut Barnett and give hawk his contract.

easy to say harder to do. What do you do when you cant agree on a number? 1 good year and the rest have been avg for hawk.

remember when all the fans wanted to trade him for a rb? Now they want to keep him?

L

Lunchboxer

If Hawks goes maybe The Packers can get Casey Mathews.

I hate to see Good Talent walking.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about this though. pay him as a high number this year then agree to a lowered number for future years.. (3 mill a year?)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Its pretty much a given that its not going to start when they agree to the new cba, it wouldnt be in anyones interest.

Maybe, nothing surprises me anymore. I don't put a lot of stock in what Florio says anymore after he had his facts wrong about Rodgers. Now I don't know if any of his rumors are more than just rumors.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
just wait for the jersey I ordered you to arrive...

Awwww!!!

I would hate to see Hawk leave, but I can't wrap my brains around these salaries!

I need to search to see how much each one is getting,..although it will no doubt leave me very depressed..

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
CMIII changed in his last season at USC. The Matthews boys are late bloomers. Casey could go through the same spurt a year later and we could get a steal. I would support Casey in the 3rd or 4th. Besides, the opposing OL would have a difficult time, "I got Matthews!" "Which one?" could cause some confusion.

You have to wonder, if we draft Casey, what will their jerseys say on the back? Usually when two players have the same last name the team prints their first initial as well, however, the boys both have C names. "Matthews" is already a moderately long name for a jersey, so putting their full names might be out of the question. This could get interesting :p

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2011 the packers would have $28.035 million devoted to ILB if they keep the current players. The average team spent $99 million on their entire team last season. With a cap likely coming Hawk is as good as gone, as his production doesnt come anywhere near his salary.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk knows he can't make that $12 million this year.
He'll tell his agent to get as much as he can from the Packers in a new 4, 5, 6-year deal, and spread the wealth out more.... he'll remain a Packer.
Barnett on the other hand, he's gone.

I just wish we could keep Jenkins... but it sounds like he'd rather break the bank than stay a loyal Packer at a discount.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk knows he can't make that $12 million this year.
He'll tell his agent to get as much as he can from the Packers in a new 4, 5, 6-year deal, and spread the wealth out more.... he'll remain a Packer.
Barnett on the other hand, he's gone.

I just wish we could keep Jenkins... but it sounds like he'd rather break the bank than stay a loyal Packer at a discount.

we have the 2nd highest payroll, time to bring that down a little. Dont worry about our Dline, we have plenty of talent there.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many compensatory picks does everyone think we will end up with next season? My guess is 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts