Hawk gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFLN ticker is reporting that the Pack are about to release A.J. Hawk, unless they can get a new deal in place. Knowing he will be released what sort of contract would he stick around for? I have a feeling he will only sign on if its a good long term deal and the money isn't far from what he is owed, something like 23-25mill 3yr

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
"Dislike" So far however, TT has shown that his choices have been the right ones. On the tail of a Super Bowl victory, this is not the time to judge his decisions. AJ would be sorely missed. :(

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang!! Hate to see Hawk go. He's a good Packer guy. Hopefully they can work something out.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as we have Barnett or Hawk, we should let one of them go. No sense having both of them when we have Bishop. We can already draft a LB for depth.

Get rid of Jenkins and Hawk/Barnett and use that $ elsewhere.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was good replacing Barnett, but if a lower $ contract cannot be worked out I will be OK with him leaving. He did start as a backup at the start of the year!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah Im not shedding any tears if he leaves. But as a person I wish him the best and hope he finds success somewhere else in the league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT picks up Matthews in the draft everyone that was upset about losing Hawk will be thrilled with bringing Matthews in.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all knew this was coming for Hawk. I'll echo the sentiments of keeping him over Barnett, but $11M for one season is a ridiculous amount of money.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT picks up Matthews in the draft everyone that was upset about losing Hawk will be thrilled with bringing Matthews in.

Not sure why so many people are that high on Casey Matthews. All indications I've seen are that he's nowhere near the talent of his older brother.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Thompson can deal Barnett and if Hawk doesn't get blown away by another team's offer...

Okay, okay: Probably one too many "ifs".

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh come on, you know why.

Well, true, I *KNOW* why. Just shows people still look at name only.

Scout.com gives him 3 out of 4 stars and has him ranked as the 9th best middle line backer in this years draft class.

Scout.com: 2011 NFL Draft MLB Rankings

That said, I know a lot of these things are wrong and are merely educated guesses by people who aren't actually present at the event. If our scouting department feels he's worth the shot, I'll get behind it, though I wouldn't expect to be picking him in the first round.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This is what naturally comes with winning the Super Bowl. Other teams are willing to pay big bucks to get a piece of that talent on their team. The Packers simply won't be able to afford to keep everyone that is being offered big money by some other team.

However, don't expect to see Ted Thompson make any drastic moves until he sees how the end of this week goes. If the CBA isn't done and things go into a lockout and/or decertification, all bets are off on who will stay and who will go.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, true, I *KNOW* why. Just shows people still look at name only.

Scout.com gives him 3 out of 4 stars and has him ranked as the 9th best middle line backer in this years draft class.

Scout.com: 2011 NFL Draft MLB Rankings

That said, I know a lot of these things are wrong and are merely educated guesses by people who aren't actually present at the event. If our scouting department feels he's worth the shot, I'll get behind it, though I wouldn't expect to be picking him in the first round.

Im with you as far as wondering if anyone looks at anything other than the name on the back of the jersey. Not to say he isnt a good player, he is, I just dont think he a 1st or 2nd rounder. He does seem to have a knack for the ball though, which isnt something you can measure in indy at the combine.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just hold onto some of that $ cause Matthews is gonna want a big contract after next year (it's 3 years for rookie contract right?).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CMIII changed in his last season at USC. The Matthews boys are late bloomers. Casey could go through the same spurt a year later and we could get a steal. I would support Casey in the 3rd or 4th. Besides, the opposing OL would have a difficult time, "I got Matthews!" "Which one?" could cause some confusion.

Personally, I want them to keep Hawk and I think they will. Hawk takes a year or two to 'settle' in to a team. At least thats my impression. I think it is in his best interest to remain with the Pack, even if it means a million or 2 less. I would not blame him a bit though if he went for more money. He needs to make the money while he can.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just Clay Matthews, it's the entire bloodline of the Matthews family. I've seen him projected on numerous sites projected to be a 5th round pick... I think if he falls to 3rd or 4th round, they'll consider him.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Just a guess but I don't think this is the end for Hawk as a Packer. I think Ted will give him his money at some point. Remember, Ted likes to keep "his guys" and Hawk was Thompson's first draft pick.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know specifics on exactly when the Packers are on the hook for Hawk's huge salary? The date that it becomes guaranteed (or if it is guaranteed at all) will play a large part in whether he re-signs, gets cut, or plays out his current deal.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Does anyone know specifics on exactly when the Packers are on the hook for Hawk's huge salary? The date that it becomes guaranteed (or if it is guaranteed at all) will play a large part in whether he re-signs, gets cut, or plays out his current deal.

I'm fairly certain that the $11 mil is fully guaranteed on the first day of the new league year. Originally March 3rd or 4th, now unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts