Has Ted Thompson gone off course?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one am grateful we have Ted as our GM. Could he do a better job? Sure, who couldn't? IMO, Bill Polian is the best GM in the NFL, and I'm sure if I looked at the gnat's *** I could find plenty of fault in how he does his job. USA Today recently had a article on ranking the GM's of the NFL. I believe Ted was 13th or 14th. Now do I agree with that? Now way.
The Sporting News also had a thing before the draft rating the team's 5-year draft period, and they gave the Packers a C+.

I know our fans like to defend the Packers in this and that, everything, but those are two solid national heavyweights who have no bias like we do.

I would agree that TT has done a slightly above average overall job, and the bottom line in this business is NOT how they look on paper, or not this guy or that guy's press clippings. It's all about wins and losses, and specifically POSTSEASON wins and losses.

This franchise has one lone playoff win since TT has taken over. That's the bottom line period. Sure the future looks bright, but many teams have had bright futures dim.

Also, on Bill Polian: I think Peyton Manning has camoflauged a lot of his failures as a GM. Really, they've only had one great post-season despite PM being there since 1998.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted has done a very good job drafting players, but you also need to admit that veterans are a great thing to add to a young team on the verge of the superbowl. I love this article becauase its right. The Packers now are pretty much on the same page we were then, Wold added some key FA's and we got it done.. I don't see how people think you can do nothing in FA and improve very much? The draft is good, but there is a learning curve. Its extremely lucky for a rookie to come in and produce good numbers right away. . Why would TT not have gone after a Chris McCalister last year when our secondary was depleted by injuries? it just baffles me sometimes..

zimbabwe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one love TT... But i will not be ignorant..... The saints were a sub-par pass coverage team and with Sharpers skills+ "swagger".... Became a confident secondary... Which won them a superbowl!!! Their secondary which help them win a championship was built through FA...

All the packers need is a CB that is not an liability and an outside linebacker prone to blitzing... Adalius Thomas wants to play football!!!! and he knows how to Blitz... Derrick Burgess knows how to blitz.... Both coming from patriots...

I agree we cant just pack our team with stars and win the SB... cowboys prove that... But what we can do is address weaknesses now? and Not down the road via developing draft picks.....

WE ARE RIGHT ON THE DOOR STEP OF THE SB.... RODGERS AFTER LAST SEASON IS READY TO GO along with the injection of TGIF (jermichael finley)... Starks will help our backfield... Baluga/uninjured Oline puts everyone on the oline back where they are comfortable... We still need to address the issue of our defense... If it wasnt for CM3 causing pressure our bleeding secondary would of been worse.... vs the cards we generated no pressure and the wound was blown open.... We need an OLB geared for blitzing.......GO PACK GOOOO

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe TT thinks Kevin Greene can still suit up at OLB?

A good friend of mine is pretty close with Kevin, some of my collection has come through kevin actually, I will have him ask kevin a couple things about how he feels about our pass rush and if he expects anyone to have a breakout year.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is pretty close with Kevin, some of my collection has come through kevin actually, I will have him ask kevin a couple things about how he feels about our pass rush and if he expects anyone to have a breakout year.
Ya know, I really was disappointed in Brady Poppinga last year.
I thought he had similar ability as Matthews and I expected Poppinga to be able to get a handful of sacks off the edge under Greene's tutelage in this system.
He has very similar size as Matthews does. But I guess there's a lot more than that to getting to QBs.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, on Bill Polian: I think Peyton Manning has camoflauged a lot of his failures as a GM. Really, they've only had one great post-season despite PM being there since 1998.

You do realize Bill Polian was GM of the Buffalo Bills from like 86- 95, (4 straight Superbowls) and then with the expansion team Carolina Panthers who made the NFC Championship in their 2nd year, before going to Indy? THAT Bill Polian. Not only that, but when Indy had the number 1 pick that year, a lot of "experts" claimed Ryan Leaf was the better NFL ready QB of the 2. That Bill Polian.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize Bill Polian was GM of the Buffalo Bills from like 86- 95, (4 straight Superbowls) and then with the expansion team Carolina Panthers who made the NFC Championship in their 2nd year, before going to Indy? THAT Bill Polian. Not only that, but when Indy had the number 1 pick that year, a lot of "experts" claimed Ryan Leaf was the better NFL ready QB of the 2. That Bill Polian.
Polian is one of the best.

He's no Ron Wolf. But he's good. Yeah, only 1 ring to show for, but still...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give him alot of credit for the 4 SBs the Bills made. I guess you could knock the coaching if you want for the losses but if he got them there 4 seasons. I think each loss came for slightly different reasons. I know they didnt prepare well for the Cowboys one. If anyone wants to ask Thurman Thomas he is one of the most active twitters around. Just watch out, he loves his politics. Sorry I dont mean for this to stray off topic, just throwing my 2 cents in.

TT has his game plan and will always stick to it. Dont overpay for FAs and build through the draft. At least he sticks to his guns.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget about Bill's fine work with the Chicago Blitz in the USFL, and with Montreal and Winnipeg up in the CFL!

I agree his work with the Buffalo Bills was remarkable. FOUR STRAIGHT Super Bowl games is still the most impressive streak I can remember in football in the modern era. The Patriots, Cowboys, 49ers.... they never did that. Sure they all WON a Super Bowl or 3, and the Bills won zero. But the farking kicker cost them one because he choked. I still credit that Bills team more than Parcells Giants team in that game. Damn Norwood.

Anyway, the bottom line with TT is that he's quite stubborn, but he's a pretty good college evaluator. Is he good enough that putting ALL the teams in his draft basket will overcome his allergy to free agency? Remember, he didn't really want to pursue Charles Woodson in the first place, but nobody else wanted Woodson. Also remember he wanted Lavar Arrington instead. We had a *** of money and he tried to give it to Lavar.
Last year he tried to give the big pat to Chris Canty. Thank God Canty wanted nothing to do with the village known as Green Bay.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget about Bill's fine work with the Chicago Blitz in the USFL, and with Montreal and Winnipeg up in the CFL!

I agree his work with the Buffalo Bills was remarkable. FOUR STRAIGHT Super Bowl games is still the most impressive streak I can remember in football in the modern era. The Patriots, Cowboys, 49ers.... they never did that. Sure they all WON a Super Bowl or 3, and the Bills won zero. But the farking kicker cost them one because he choked. I still credit that Bills team more than Parcells Giants team in that game. Damn Norwood.

Anyway, the bottom line with TT is that he's quite stubborn, but he's a pretty good college evaluator. Is he good enough that putting ALL the teams in his draft basket will overcome his allergy to free agency? Remember, he didn't really want to pursue Charles Woodson in the first place, but nobody else wanted Woodson. Also remember he wanted Lavar Arrington instead. We had a *** of money and he tried to give it to Lavar.
Last year he tried to give the big pat to Chris Canty. Thank God Canty wanted nothing to do with the village known as Green Bay.

Hmmm I'm not quite with you there on the Charles Wodson option. I think they were heavily interested in him. Mccarthy even went the extra mile to meet him in private. As far as Chris Canty goes, I would've liked to have him on our team. The reason why he wasn't that effective this year is because the giants made the "smart" decision to move him from a 3-4 DE to a 4-3 DT. Canty has played in a 3-4 his entire career and was very effective in that scheme. This is why like I was saying earlier, that maybe pursuing guys like Cromartie or Asomugha would be a bad idea. Sure they excel in other defenses but there's no guarantee that they'll make an impact in ours.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. Also remember he wanted Lavar Arrington instead. We had a *** of money and he tried to give it to Lavar.

I cant really rip ted for a rumor of going after Lavar. I know he is very thorough in his offseason endeavors so I have no doubt he looked at him. Im just glad it didnt happen.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant really rip ted for a rumor of going after Lavar. I know he is very thorough in his offseason endeavors so I have no doubt he looked at him. Im just glad it didnt happen.
It wasn't a rumor that TT went after Lavar.
Arrington himself admitted the Packers offered more money than the Giants offered, but he said he wanted to remain on the East Coast in the NFC East.
Anyway, it's interesting.
Had Lavar taken our money, then things would be a lot different: #1- that would have taken the huge money away from us being able to sign Charles Woodson, and probably #2- it would have most likely meant we would have drafted Vernon Davis or Haloti Ngata instead of AJ Hawk.

Memory Flashback: LaVar Is A Giant, Not A Packer - Green Bay Packers - Deadspin
Poston said Green Bay, Jacksonville and Miami all were in the running for the 27-year-old Arrington. But in the end, he said, his client decided that he wanted to play against Washington twice a season and for Tim Lewis, New York's defensive coordinator.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line: we're better now than when TT took over. He'll have to be around for another Championship to cement his legacy with the team. Packers win #13 against San Diego this year.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line: we're better now than when TT took over. He'll have to be around for another Championship to cement his legacy with the team. Packers win #13 against San Diego this year.
I'll take that. Who's team is Merriman on?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lavar was in GB for a tour of the stadium while people on blogs and forums were RIPPING Ted for not going after Lavar...The classic putting foot in your mouth..

But I think Ted is still doing it the the way he wants...I sometimes get angry with his way but more often than not, his staff and he have shown they know more than I

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I feel 100% that TT's stubbornness to avoid free agency has (last year) and will (this year) caused us from advancing towards a Super Bowl, there is one thing that the guy has to get credit for: drafting solid people, and finding a way to avoid the criminal thug element that's rampant these days straight out the hood.

You think it's easy to find talent? It's hard.
But it's even harder to find guys with no gang ties, no criminal in their blood.

That's why I think Cory Rogers was sent packing so soon (plus they taught him to drop punts instead of catch them), and it's why I think Johnny Jolly will NEVER get another contract from the Packers. The drafting of Neal AND Wilson is the writing on the wall regarding Jolly, IMO.

It's too bad because Jolly has a knack for deflecting passes at the LOS. But he's an idiot, as evidenced by his ghetto personal foul penalty in the 2nd Viking game, which cost us points and perhaps the game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am hoping they do sign Jolly, I think they are waiting for his legal issues to be fixed

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think that article is horsecrap, plus it's full of lies and mistakes.

Here's my rebuttal to it:

What a pile of bullschit.
Do you even believe this yourself? You must. Wow.
ERRORS and LIES. Nice journalism. Where to even begin? Well, let's start with:
#1-"He let 2 pro-bowl offensive leaders simply up & leave the team in favor of drafted talent. Both the newly drafted replacement players turned out to be pro-bowlers."

*FALSE. He let Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle go, two guards. Ted's replacements were crap at first, but have settled on Daryn Colledge and Josh Sitton. NEITHER of these guys have made a single Pro-Bowl. Our only Pro Bowl OL have been the OT's drafted BEFORE Ted got here, Clifton and Tauscher. LIES or ERRORS?

#2- "Signed a pro-bowl free-agent defensive end to a long term contract."

*FALSE. Who? Did he sign Julius Peppers as the Bears just did? Did he bring in Jared Allen like the Vikings did 2 seasons ago? What Pro-Bowl DE did Ted bring in as a free agent? Ron Wolf brought two in with Reggie White and Sean Jones, plus a Pro-Bowl DT in Santana Dotson. Our only Pro Bowl DE the past 10 years was Aaron Kampman, who was drafted BEFORE Ted Thompson came aboard. SORRY. ERROR.

#9- "Signed one of the best free-agent receivers in the game today."
*FALSE. Who? Donald Driver was drafted before Ted got here. He also drafted Jennings, Jones, and Jordy. Those are our 4 WR's. Our 5th WR is either Brett Swain, or the kid in Canada. He has not signed "one of the best free-agents receivers" period. SORRY, LIE AGAIN.

#5- "Has had great success with UDFA’s with 3 or more currently starting on the roster."
*BIG DEAL. In 6 off-seasons, he's got a total of 3? That's typical of NFL rosters. You don't think the Cowboys (Tony Romo and Miles Austin, Steelers (James Harrison), Colts, or even Cardinals (Kurt Warner) have as many?

#10, #11, and #12 are also FALSE.
Thompson has not signed any top OT's in the free agent market other than to bring back the 2 guys that were here already in Clifton and Tauscher.
He has not used FA to sign a top 5 safety. Our only possible top-5 safety is Nick Collins who was drafted. Bigby was undrafted and is not even a top-25 safety.

NICE SPIN THOUGH.
I bet you fooled some of the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Look, Ted has done a fine job. Rodgers, Jennings, Grant, Sitton, Jordy, James Jones, Matthews, Pickett, Collins, etc. This is a nice nucleus and the team might actually win a playoff game this year. But they haven't yet.
They've won ONE playoff game in the whole tenure of Ted Thompson.
Those are FACTS.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

#1-"He let 2 pro-bowl offensive leaders simply up & leave the team in favor of drafted talent. Both the newly drafted replacement players turned out to be pro-bowlers."

*FALSE. He let Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle go, two guards. Ted's replacements were crap at first, but have settled on Daryn Colledge and Josh Sitton. NEITHER of these guys have made a single Pro-Bowl. Our only Pro Bowl OL have been the OT's drafted BEFORE Ted got here, Clifton and Tauscher. LIES or ERRORS?

*FALSE. Who? Did he sign Julius Peppers as the Bears just did? Did he bring in Jared Allen like the Vikings did 2 seasons ago? What Pro-Bowl DE did Ted bring in as a free agent? Ron Wolf brought two in with Reggie White and Sean Jones, plus a Pro-Bowl DT in Santana Dotson. Our only Pro Bowl DE the past 10 years was Aaron Kampman, who was drafted BEFORE Ted Thompson came aboard. SORRY. ERROR.

*FALSE. Who? Donald Driver was drafted before Ted got here. He also drafted Jennings, Jones, and Jordy. Those are our 4 WR's. Our 5th WR is either Brett Swain, or the kid in Canada. He has not signed "one of the best free-agents receivers" period. SORRY, LIE AGAIN.

#5- "Has had great success with UDFA’s with 3 or more currently starting on the roster."
*BIG DEAL. In 6 off-seasons, he's got a total of 3? That's typical of NFL rosters. You don't think the Cowboys (Tony Romo and Miles Austin, Steelers (James Harrison), Colts, or even Cardinals (Kurt Warner) have as many?

Thompson has not signed any top OT's in the free agent market other than to bring back the 2 guys that were here already in Clifton and Tauscher.
He has not used FA to sign a top 5 safety. Our only possible top-5 safety is Nick Collins who was drafted. Bigby was undrafted and is not even a top-25 safety.

NICE SPIN THOUGH.

Look, Ted has done a fine job. Rodgers, Jennings, Grant, Sitton, Jordy, James Jones, Matthews, Pickett, Collins, etc. This is a nice nucleus and the team might actually win a playoff game this year. But they haven't yet.
Those are FACTS.
1- Favre and Walker
2- Kampman was a Free agent when he was re-signed the first time, if I'm not mistaken.
9- I hink he was reffering to RB...
5- Big deal?Yeah, it is a big deal...

Again, when a player is slated to hit FA, he IS A FA, no matter if he is or isn't from your team...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

NICE SPIN THOUGH.

Those are FACTS.

Someone already replied but what the hell, when someone goes off like you did w/o thinking it all through it is fun to call those people out

1st off, when the article states FREE AGENT it has nothing to do with drafting the player, you keep mention Ted didnt draft so and so player

FYI this list top free agents, see where they put some your claiming were not free agents

2010 NFL Free Agents

#1 offensive LEADERS says nothing about offensive lineman---your so wrong on this you should say sorry for not being able to comprehend it

Favre-Rodgers
Could been Walker or Bubba for Jennings or Finley

Kampman... while he wasnt a true free agent, he got a 4 year deal hours before free agency started

#5 UDFA just sounds like your nit picking...if there was more you would say he cant draft right so he picks up un drafted players

#9 best free agent WR..I do not know what he meant by this

** btw, 5 comes after 9 so had to flip flop your order**

#10 Cliff was the BEST free agent left tackle..So EFFING what if he was a Packer before hand, he was a FREE AGENT...He went to Washington and prob would have signed there is GB didnt offer what they did..

Same can be said for Mark T

#12 Again so EFFING what if Nick was drafted by the Pack he was a free agent..Get it through your head and that is who he is talking about, not Bigby

All your *****ing your only point that MIGHT be valid is #9 cuz I think it was a typo

But all your other points you are 100% WRONG

Lets give you more sites

2010 NFL Free Agency Top Fives: Offensive Tackle | Bleacher Report

That has both Cliff and Mark listed..See they were free agents! or are they wrong?

Now for safeties

WalterFootball.com: 2010 NFL Free Agents - Safeties

oppps Nick is #1 but he wasnt a free agent so they are wrong! (according to you)

I enjoyed this did you?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a big difference in assembling talent from retaining one's own and bringing in talent from other teams.

You honestly cannot compare bringing in guys like Reggie White and Santana Dotson and Eugene Robinson and Desmond Howard, or Charles Woodson, Antoine Winfield, Steve Hutchinson, Julius Peppers, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Darren Sharper, etc. to retaining a guy who's contract is expiring, can you? I mean a guy who was drafted by his predecessor? In this case, both Clifton & Tauscher.

Yes that article had some mistakes and typos, and if you want to knitpick or embelish the truth, it did that.

Look, TT has done enough good things to defend the guy honestly and accurately. But there's no need for anyone to make up stuff, and lie, in order to try and support him.

You add all the good things, and add all the bad things he did or failed to do, and you get the accurate bottom line: 1 franchise playoff win since TT took over 5+ years ago. That is nothing to brag about. At this point. Now the future looks bright yes, but this season looks bright in Minnesota and New Orleans as well, plus Dallas, and the whole NFC East. You can't judge a guy on what you think could happen going forward. That's called guessing. You can only judge a guy on the actual results in the book, and to me, playoffs are what matters.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cliff, Tauch and Nick WERE FREE AGENTS...in 2006 on March 12th free agency was starting..Kampman was signed at something like 9pm on March 11th, so like 3 hours before free agency started Ted re-signed Kamp

How does that imblish the truth? or how is that a LIE?

Who the HELL cares who drafted a player??? If the Pack decided that a guy is worth a contract they will go after him..So stop bringing that up....

Your just pissed that it showed Ted as a capable GM

Latest posts