Has anyone ever met any current or former players?

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey all,

Driving in today, I realized that the closest I have ever gotten to a player was when my fiancee got Al Harris's autograph. Outside of that, I've never met a Packer.

So, has anyone else? Anyone have any stories of drinking in a bar and suddenly a player walked in, or doing errands and running into a player?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wasnt there a story on this forum about someone who took a **** with bubba franks?? :D Somebody please provide Bigfog with the details! :D

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have personally met, Don BB, Bill Schroeder, Antonio Freeman, Bryce Paup, and John Anderson. Robert Brooks steped on my foot after practice one day in Green Bay but that doesn't count.

My brother is at UW-Madison and on his 21st birthday was cruising the bars and met Mark Tauscher, got his picture with him and everything.

I have family in Green Bay and George Koonce, then Nate Wayne lived next door.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Was at a Sunday night game vs Detroit a while back, sat down in our seats and right before the start here comes ray nitsche sitting right in front of us..

He stayed there till half time then left..

but it was something special to hear him yell and scream at the guys, smokie a cigar, when NO ONE was allowed to smoke..I recall my brother poking me and saying, tell Ray to put his cigar out..

he told me to move my damn legs cuz they were poking him in his back or he would chop em off..But then winked at me and said he was just joking..

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was at a Sunday night game vs Detroit a while back, sat down in our seats and right before the start here comes ray nitsche sitting right in front of us..

but it was something special to hear him yell and scream at the guys, smokie a cigar, when NO ONE was allowed to smoke..I recall my brother poking me and saying, tell Ray to put his cigar out..

he told me to move my damn legs cuz they were poking him in his back or he would chop em off..But then winked at me and said he was just joking..

You shoudda slapped him in the back of the head...taking a beating from #66 would be a dream of many Packerfans :D

OP
OP
B

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My grandma met him once and said he was sweet man. He even signed a trading card she had and said something along the lines of "Love ya Babe".

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

You shoudda slapped him in the back of the head...taking a beating from #66 would be a dream of many Packerfans :D

I am not sure how old he was then... this was Darren Sharpers rookie year I believe when he returned a int for a td..1997 a year before Ray died..

He was 60 and looked like he still could have gone down there and bang some heads..

I wouldnt have even THOUGHT of hitting a guy of his build, no matter who the guy was

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to go way back for this one. When I was about 9 or 10 my Dad took me on one of his business trips around Wisconsin. It included Green Bay and we stayed at a hotel downtown. The Packers used the hotel as a meeting place before games and I met Tobin Rote...got to touch his cleats and helmet....and several other players who were in uniform getting ready to get on a bus and go to old City Stadium for a game.

More recently another teacher and I were at a get together at the Missoula Holiday Inn and we were having a drink at the bar and this guy sitting next to us had this huge Super Bowl ring on. We asked him what team he played for and when he spoke, there was no mistaking Jan Stenerud. We spent the next hour talking to him.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Back in the early 90's as I was working my way through college selling cars for Gandrud Chevrolet.. I sold a Suburban to Edgar Bennett.. met quite a few of the players there.. he invited me and a couple of the guys to a party they held on along the Fox River.. at that party there were quite a few Packers in attendance highlighted by LeRoy Butler and Robert Brooks. That springboarded me into an internship on the stats side of the Packers scouting department.. never was offered a full time job there.. but it was a cool job for a spring semester.

Met Brett Favre at his brothers bar, The Broke Spoke, which was near Milwaukee.. interesting place it was.. kinda like a retreat to a backwoods southern bar.

Going to college in Green Bay you seen different players out on Main Street in the bars.. but I wasn't one to interupt or bother someone.. so kinda of left it at a glance.

And met Gilbert Brown on a couple of different occasions.. big ol' boy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This past year went to an after party after the Oakland game hosted by Bretts pilot..got to sit with Gilbert Brown at our dinner table.

that man is AWESOME!! and one funny person..

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This past year went to an after party after the Oakland game hosted by Bretts pilot..got to sit with Gilbert Brown at our dinner table.

What does the pilot have to say about Brett's return for the 2008 season?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

What does the pilot have to say about Brett's return for the 2008 season?

you must have missed my posts from last night ;)

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bob Kroll.

I used to go to Chi Chi's in Casselberry, FL to watch the Packer games with him in the early to mid 90's.

Bob Kroll played safety and ST for the Pack in the 72-73 seasons and had a brief stint with the Patriots after that.

He is a native of Green Bay, lived in Altamonte Springs, FL back then and
owned a towing company.

Nice Guy. Likable, friendly, and a native of Green Bay.

I lost touch with him after I moved out of the Orlando area.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Kroll.

I used to go to Chi Chi's in Casselberry, FL to watch the Packer games with him in the early to mid 90's.

Bob Kroll played safety and ST for the Pack in the 72-73 seasons and had a brief stint with the Patriots after that.

He is a native of Green Bay, lived in Altamonte Springs, FL back then and
owned a towing company.

Nice Guy. Likable, friendly, and a native of Green Bay.

I lost touch with him after I moved out of the Orlando area.

Any relation to the krolls burger joint in GB?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see.

Donald Driver- his first year - he was buying a driver jersey for his dad at Bertram's
Tim Hauck - had a beer with him in Milwaukee after a game
Robert Brooks his first year - talked to him as we were in line getting beer at the Knights club(?) in GB
Gray Ruegemer- Spent a few hours with him at lunch
Max McGee - He played golf at a club I worked at in the 80's
Paul Hornung, Ron Kramer - both smashed one night at Fuzzy's
Bart Starr - opening of a Rocky Rococco's in Vail CO in 80's
Fuzzy Thurston- many times. Sat in a booth and would shoot the crap with him especially when he was at his old location before it got popular.
Reggie White - Shooks hands after listening to him at a CYC fundraiser in Kenosha 4 yrs ago.
Jeff Querey - was a member at a club I worked at in KY.
Tim Harris - rode on a plane across the isle from Chicago to Oakland. Talked all the way there
Santana Dotson at State Fair - Actually talked to him for 20 minutes
Gilbert Brown - He frequents the ******* next door to my work
Brett Favre- had lunch with him the day before we lost to Minny in the playoffs. Met most of the rest of the team. Pictures can be seen here : http://www.pixagogo.com/3190795649
Mike Sherman- same day I was with Favre

Other pics I have taken of Packer players etc...
www.pixagogo.com/trippster
There are many albums but you will see the ones concerning the packers

thats about it....I think. :-?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wasnt there a story on this forum about someone who took a **** with bubba franks?? :D Somebody please provide Bigfog with the details! :D

You beat me to it. I don't remember who that was. Lots of good stories in this thread already. Keep 'em coming.

I met Ken Bowman at the bar in Tucson where I watched the Packers win the Super Bowl in '97. The owners let us know he was in the house. It made us feel lucky to have him there, and sure enough, the Packers won. (For those who don't know, Bowman played center for the Packers in the late 60's and early 70's.)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey all,

Driving in today, I realized that the closest I have ever gotten to a player was when my fiancee got Al Harris's autograph. Outside of that, I've never met a Packer.

So, has anyone else? Anyone have any stories of drinking in a bar and suddenly a player walked in, or doing errands and running into a player?

For brief moments, all the time. It's usually signing autographs but if you go out enough, you'll just run into people. I try not to make a scene of it though because I'm sure these people want their personal space. When I will make a scene of it is when it's in an environment where it suits that - signing autographs, after a game, etc.

Unfortunately, I've never met Packers. Mostly (SF) Giants and As and 49ers. I've been out here most of my life.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

You beat me to it. I don't remember who that was. Lots of good stories in this thread already. Keep 'em coming.

Pretty sure it was Brennan. Good guy, that Brennan. Were I an NFL player, I'd totally give him the inside scoop on my injury status were he to ask for an update while we happened to cross swords.. er, paths in the men's room. :twisted:

P.S. This thread is strangely reminiscent of the UFO thread in the atrium. :pop: :D

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Trippster takes a big early led!

The only Packer I ever met was Bill Schroeder and that was before he was a Packer. I went to college with him in LaCrosse.

You can bag him all you want, but for only playing receiver in college for one year and then making it into the NFL is something in my book. Bill had a track background and the guy could out jump anyone. I often wondered why this wasn't used more in game planning with him.

He jumped a snow fence in a drop step near the courts on campus, to chase an errant ball. He also won the Dunk Contest by jumping over his 6' roommate who was standing maybe 5 feet from the rim.

He was a hell of an athlete at the college level. I beleive he took third in the triple jump in the nation prior to playing receiver his senior year.

The fun part to it was the year he started returning kicks for the Packers. I don't remember if it was the beginning of the season, or just a game. I think it was 1998 maybe? Anyway, I was at a friend's house, everyone was hanging out in the back yard. I knew the game was going to be on, so I went inside to turn on the TV. We were receiving the kick off, and just before the ball was kicked, the camera zoomed in on the KR. I knew him by his face. there was Bill in a freakin' Packers helmet. So I'm in there yelling, "Holy Crap it's Schrades!" all by my lonesome. Later I went out and expanded my shock and no one cared. Oh the sadness.

OP
OP
B

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only other "sighting" (in keeping with Pack_in_black's idea), was when my fiancee' and I had finished up the Lambeau field tour and were leaving the stadium.

We walked by the player's parking lot, and Brady Poppinga and two older folks, his parents I assume, got out of their car and sorta grinned at all the gawkers standing near the fence that separates the lots. No autograph from him though. He's a big dude up close.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

You beat me to it. I don't remember who that was.

dont pee on me

I was out to eat at Texas Road house here in Green Bay and Al Harris, Johnny Jolly, Bubba, and Donald Lee were all in there and when i went to te bathroom Bubba was in there, i asked how the injury is and he said coach told him to sit this one out but that hed def. be ready to go next week. Said hes just a little soar and their taking precautions

I hope hes right cuz hes a definite red zone threat

PackFanTrav

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have meet Ahman Green, William Henderson and Mike McKenzie. The Packers were all staying at my hotel in Minnesota. I saw them all but these guys were the only ones who i could get around to talk to. Ahman Green nicest player i have ever met and Dorsey Levens the biggest ******* i ever met.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts