Has anyone else noticed...

packerfan22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that, even though Mike was an offensive coach for his entire pro career they have really been working on the defense until this past year. I'm not complaining by any means, I just find it interesting because typically offensive coaches work on the offensive side of the team though I know TT had a little more than something to do with that. I think we have a defense that can easily be ranked in the top 5 and right up there with the Pats, Vikings, and even the dreaded bears(though that was a couple of years ago).

Hears to the coaching staff, lets keep it going guys.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears to be a fairly common thing in the NFL. I remember NFL Network talking about it one time on their shows. They talked about Billick (sp?) who was an offensive guru with the Vikings and then went to the Ravens and made them a Defensive powerhouse. They had lots of examples like that.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we had the #4 O and #6 D (in terms of PF & PA - the only stats that matter). Pretty impressive.

If we had to improve a side of the ball, it would be the D. Ideally, you want to be a top 5.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thought process to get out quickly and improve the defense was TT's doing. He knew the team would not win football games with the defense we had on the field.
If you remember TT caught hell for not going out and get weapons for BF.

TT had Favre, Green, Henderson, Driver, Taush, Cliff, and, Bubba on the offensive side but extremely limited talent on the D. Who the coach was had little to do with the direction he went.

When you have one NFL caliber LB (Barnett) one CB (Harris), no safeties, and a DL that could not stop the run you do exactly what TT did.

FIX IT!

I would also add I think one of the most overlooked aspects of the job TT has done is the depth he has built on this team. We've got some guys to back up other guys that can play football.

We were so weak depth wise by the time TT got here it was pathetic. Do you realize if Harris, for example, would have gotten hurt back then there was little reason to show up for a game.

We would have been forced to move Carroll over to the #1 and Thomas at #2. That would have assured the other team of scoring 50 points minimum.
That realization right there shows how far this team has come up talent wise.

OP
OP
P

packerfan22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't mean to imply what we have done was bad. I couldn't be happier with the direction we went, regardless of the improving records, we went the right direction and I would be sitting here saying that if we went 3-13 instead of 13-3. Our defense was pathetic and actually hard to watch most times before TT stepped up and started drafting defensive personnel. I remember watching people try to tackle someone who is now 5 yards further down the field then where they tried to hit them. Once Reggie White left our d-line went down the tubes. And yeah lets not start to talk about our safeties...Carrol was HORRID. I remember Sherman had him practicing in boxing gloves so he wouldn't hold anyone and it still didn't help(though that does explain why he couldn't catch an interception). I agree we have gone the right direction I just found it interesting that an offensive coach would improve the d before the o. Though that really speaks volumes for the kind of coach Mike is, to set aside what you want for the betterment of the team, thats what makes a great coach...actually thats what makes a coach that keeps his job. If they don't do that they don't coach for long and lets just hope the fans don't get a hold of him...lol.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't mean to imply what we have done was bad. I couldn't be happier with the direction we went, regardless of the improving records, we went the right direction and I would be sitting here saying that if we went 3-13 instead of 13-3. Our defense was pathetic and actually hard to watch most times before TT stepped up and started drafting defensive personnel. I remember watching people try to tackle someone who is now 5 yards further down the field then where they tried to hit them. Once Reggie White left our d-line went down the tubes. And yeah lets not start to talk about our safeties...Carrol was HORRID. I remember Sherman had him practicing in boxing gloves so he wouldn't hold anyone and it still didn't help(though that does explain why he couldn't catch an interception). I agree we have gone the right direction I just found it interesting that an offensive coach would improve the d before the o. Though that really speaks volumes for the kind of coach Mike is, to set aside what you want for the betterment of the team, thats what makes a great coach...actually thats what makes a coach that keeps his job. If they don't do that they don't coach for long and lets just hope the fans don't get a hold of him...lol.

I think you are missing my point that the emphasis on defensive players came from Ted Thompson and not Mike McCarthy. I do not believe, for example, that Mike knew anything about Ryan Pickett nor did he have much to do with bringing in Woodson, or, for that matter, the decision to draft Hawk.
I see MM's role in all this as letting TT handle personnel and giving Sanders control of the defense and he is the overseer but not the driver of the bus (defensively).
Now don't mistake this position as meaning I am not a huge MM fan because I am, however, I think Mike McCarthy would say himself that the lions share of the credit for the much improved defense lies with TT and Sanders and his best play there has been to stay out of the way.

MM is a good coach because he delegates and believes in those he gives power unlike Sherman before him who fires one of the best "D" Coordinators in football as a scapegoat move which was one of the decisions that ultimately led to his demise (among many).

Fortunately for the Packers they understand that to give the HC personnel responsibility does not work and I am quite certain in my lifetime I will never again see the Packers give any HC the GM position as well.

At least I sure as hell hope it never happens again.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because a coach is an offensive coach, doesn't mean they don't know anything about the defensive side of the ball. I think alot of coaches could excell on either side of the ball. They know the game. An offensive coach has to know and understand defense in order to coach his squad properly. They might prefer one over the other, but they know football.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because a coach is an offensive coach, doesn't mean they don't know anything about the defensive side of the ball. I think alot of coaches could excell on either side of the ball. They know the game. An offensive coach has to know and understand defense in order to coach his squad properly. They might prefer one over the other, but they know football.

I don't disagree that the HC has to have a full book of knowledge on all aspects of the game and I am quite certain MM does know defense.

So I agree MM is a good coach who let's other good coaches coach. I also think THAT has to do more with the defense playing better than he personally making any greater committment or time spent on that side of the ball.

The role of GM and player personnel was taken away from the HC in GB. Remember? When that happened and TT was brought in here you can rest assured he already had a plan in place to go about doing what he did and that plan was there before MM was ever hired.

I think MM let's TT find the players and Sanders coach the defense.

If we start off next year and SUCK on defense who you going to blame first and formost? I will tell you who. It will be SANDERS. Just like he was ready to be broiled at the stake in the middle of the '06 season when the defense was stinking up the field.

People were critical of MM too. For not FIRING Sanders. So why now again is MM being given this medal for becoming this defensive guru all of a sudden when all I see is he has let people do their jobs and stands behind them (kind of like what a good coach does) even when it get's a little tough.

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The HC needs to supervise the other coaches as opposed to stepping in trying to take over all aspects, which is how MM has been coaching. He allows Sanders to go in his direction as long as the job is getting done, which in my opinion has been working. Obviously, there's room for improvement, but there always is. I'm, personally, very happy with the progression, and can't wait to see what they have improved on next season (come on running game).

Members online

Latest posts