Harrell...

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
Hypothetically speaking, if in the next 5 drafts, the BPA is a DT, do we draft a DT every draft? I just don't buy that you should draft the BPA regardless of need. We had too many other glaring needs to draft an injured DT.

Yes. You can always trade a vet of lesser talent for another pick or needed position player.
Well, we needed a TE. No real competition was brought in for that position. Now we have 6 DTs, and 2 TEs that combined for 35 catches last year. No matter how you slice it, it doesn't make sense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
MidwestFavreFan said:
Hypothetically speaking, if in the next 5 drafts, the BPA is a DT, do we draft a DT every draft? I just don't buy that you should draft the BPA regardless of need. We had too many other glaring needs to draft an injured DT.

Yes. You can always trade a vet of lesser talent for another pick or needed position player.
Well, we needed a TE. No real competition was brought in for that position. Now we have 6 DTs, and 2 TEs that combined for 35 catches last year. No matter how you slice it, it doesn't make sense.

You gave a hypothetical situation, I replied. Now you turn it into what did happen? That's not right. We didn't draft 5 DT in first round the last five years.

TE and FB in this offense are considered interchangeable. Let's keep that in mind before we rock the boat before the boat has even entered the water aka the season starts.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 TEs that combined for 35 catches last year.

You keep bringing this up. It's a nice stat to hang your hat on, I guess. But have you watched the preseason? Have you heard MM\TT say how good Bubba looks this year?

Yeah he had a BAAAD year LAST YEAR. There were reasons he went from one of the best tight ends, especially in the red zone, to a mediocre stone handed bafoon. It looks like those reasons have been addressed and Bubba looks like an NFL tight end.

But yeah, 35 catches last year, lets go with that.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
Zero2Cool said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

TE and FB in this offense are considered interchangeable. Let's keep that in mind before we rock the boat before the boat has even entered the water aka the season starts.
So a rookie LB converted to FB, and another rookie FB, are going to make up for our shortcomings at TE? Come on now.

hubbabubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colin Cole also is in the tackle rotation, and rookie Daniel Muir might be active ahead of Harrell if McCarthy goes with a ninth defensive lineman.

So we are going to have a non-drafted rookie free agent on the roster ahead of our number 1 pick. I see a problem with this.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colin Cole also is in the tackle rotation, and rookie Daniel Muir might be active ahead of Harrell if McCarthy goes with a ninth defensive lineman.

So we are going to have a non-drafted rookie free agent on the roster ahead of our number 1 pick. I see a problem with this.

Why, the best players are on the field.

Would you rather put out the guy who isn't ready and coming off injury just because he was the #1 pick?

That's Mike Sherman Country.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not many rookie DT can come in and contribute. Offensive linemen are so strong in the NFL that it takes rookie D-linemen some time to adjust and get strong enough to contend with the big boys. Harrell may not help much this year, but could be a stud in the future...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
MidwestFavreFan said:
Zero2Cool said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

So a rookie LB converted to FB, and another rookie FB, are going to make up for our shortcomings at TE? Come on now.
No, you come on now.
Do you think they knew this outcome four months ago? Come on now.
Do you think they knew Morency and Jackson would be dinged up? Come on now.

For realz yo! COME ON NOW!

MUWHAHAHAH HEH :)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

I have a problem with putting someone on the field jus because of where they were drafted over their talent.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
Zero2Cool said:
MidwestFavreFan said:
Zero2Cool said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

No, you come on now.
Do you think they knew this outcome four months ago? Come on now.
Do you think they knew Morency and Jackson would be dinged up? Come on now.

For realz yo! COME ON NOW!

MUWHAHAHAH HEH :)
Well, its Ted's responsibility however you look at it. If Bubba has another subpar year, or if he gets injured, and we're left with nothing because we have no depth at TE, then Ted Thompson will be held accountable. Thats his job.

TE is a legitimate concern going into this season. We were terrible at TE llast year. I think some people here get way too defensive of Ted Thompson. He has done a lot of good things as GM. But he has dropped the ball in some areas too.

Reaction score

Er no, we are not going to have that.

That MIGHT be a possibility. If it comes to pass, then it might be appropriate to take issue with that. Since it hasn't happened, there isn't anything to have a problem with.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Q. Wasn't Justin Harrell pushed in college? He must be in shape by now but even in the fourth game he was standing up and picking his spots. At this stage, don't you have to wonder if he's ever going to be a decent starter, let alone a big-timer?

A. I think Justin Harrell will be a good football player here for a long time. Justin is 20 pounds heavier than he's ever been asked to play. He's at 320. It's something we asked him to do because of the scheme. He's getting better. He needs to get better. He is getting more comfortable with the weight. He's an anchor in a two-gap scheme. Plus the beauty of him being an anchor is the height. That's what you're looking for.

This could help to explain his slow start I'd think.

Reaction score

Midwest fan, this was something I also thought about before the draft, when Ted was quoted as saying "we will draft the BPA".

Then I read Ted say they balance BPA with need, and that made me think they felt they had a need at DT.

We had Pickett, but truth is that he had a questionable work ethic while he was in St. Louis. We saw that questionable work ethic once again when he showed up to camp out of shape and unable to pass the physical.

Corey Williams had an injury prone short career before last season. Even then, his production was sporadic. If I'm not mistaken, of his 7 total sacks, 4 of them came in two games. That means in the remaining 14 games, he had a total of 3 sacks. He wasn't as consistent as you'd like a starting caliber DT to be. He will also be a free agent after this year.

Colin Cole is a great back-up, but he hasn't flashed anything of note that would suggest he'd be an outstanding starter.

John Jolly was an unknown that had potential.

We weren't exactly outstanding at DT last year. The Vikings showed how much two great DTs can improve a D, and given that there were questions (albeit not publicly) about our DT rotation before the draft, I think it is reasonable to say that Ted blended 'team need' and 'BPA' to pick Harrell.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally DT's never come in and make a huge impact right away. Now you factor that in with a guy whom is still recovering from an injury and you get a 1st round pick is picked for the basis of the future rather than right now. I don't agree with the pick one bit but I can't really judge Harrell after this season. Next year will be the year that he needs to be the 3rd DT on the Depth Chart. Get in that rotation.

Green Bay is deep at DT. Harrell would be activated on just about every team in the league but Green Bay's lineup is a tough one to crack.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't mind the pick. Harrell could end up as a dominant DT 3 years or whatever down the road, when the Packers might not be as strong at the position. One day I'm pretty sure we're going to be pretty pleased that Ted Thompson took Harrell.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. I don't agree with the pick one bit
Me neither. No one is going to convince me that an injured DT was the best player available, out of countless other players. It was just a bad pick.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my bad, let me extend the olive branch by offering you some skittles:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score

drool........

I will say, that not addressing the TE seemed questionable. However, if Bubba continues to play in the regular season like he has in the preseason, then TT will look like a genius.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score

just wanted to see the picture again...sorry.

Members online

Latest posts