Harrell...

packfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the reports I've read, it looks like Justin Harrell will not activated on Sunday. How strange is this for a 1st round pick? I understand what TT was doing in taking the BPA, but I mean you would've thought that he would have taken someone who could make an impact.

I'm not hating on Harrell. I'm just saying that if indeed we are great depth wise on the D-Line, why not trade someone to make room for your 1st round pick? Just doesn't add up...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=658771

No uniform: Defensive tackle Justin Harrell, the team's first-round draft choice, isn't expected to be part of the 45-man roster against the Eagles.

"There's a good chance he's going to be down," McCarthy said. "I know how it is for a No. 1 but this is a different situation. I'd be very comfortable if he played Sunday. It's not that. It's just what's in front of him. Those guys are playing well."

Johnny Jolly looks like the starter alongside Ryan Pickett in the base defense. On passing downs, Corey Williams figures to join Cullen Jenkins at tackle.

Colin Cole also is in the tackle rotation, and rookie Daniel Muir might be active ahead of Harrell if McCarthy goes with a ninth defensive lineman.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell isn't a regular first round pick.

1. He's coming off injury
2. He plays at a position that's deeper than Paris Hilton's ----

It's not like Harrell is a #1 pick who plays TE and isn't dressing. THAT would be saying a lot about him. But...1 and 2 say a lot.

This year is a preparation year for him. He won't be ASKED to do a lot, let alone EXPECTED to(except by fans, I guess).

In 2-3 years and he hasn't cracked the starting lineup, yeah, Bust City.

Bustin Harrell (its catchy, aint it?)

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not like Harrell is a #1 pick who plays TE and isn't dressing. THAT would be saying a lot about him. But...1 and 2 say a lot.

This year is a preparation year for him. He won't be ASKED to do a lot, let alone EXPECTED to(except by fans, I guess).

Paris Hilton's what? Go ahead Tromadz, fill in the blank!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well it is good to see that the other players are doing so good in practice that TT and MM don't feel the need to force Harrell into the game.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I'm sure he was going to say... bank account.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well it is good to see that the other players are doing so good in practice that TT and MM don't feel the need to force Harrell into the game.

I'm not meaning this to be a shot at the man, but if Sherman made the Harrell pick....Harrell would be starting Sunday.

(not meant to be a shot, i just read how sherm is doing well in texas, good for him)

(just sayin)

gator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One does have to wonder--if the position is SOOOOOO deep, why spend the first-round choice on it?? Especially for a guy who looks by all accounts to be somewhat of a project-or at least a serious question mark....

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One does have to wonder--if the position is SOOOOOO deep, why spend the first-round choice on it?? Especially for a guy who looks by all accounts to be somewhat of a project-or at least a serious question mark....

It's called drafting the Best Player Available.

gator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best player available?? a guy with a bad arm, no work ethic and a propensity toward caloric excess???

Whatever

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best player available?? a guy with a bad arm, no work ethic and a propensity toward caloric excess???

Whatever

If you think you can do better than our scouting team, maybe you should apply for a job at the Packers front office.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really a big deal people... I don't know how you can even bring up the subject of him being a bust.

He hasn't even played a frickin' game yet. I hate Packer fans.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whatever

Where did you hear that Harrell has no work ethic and eats too much? I read a lot about the Packers, and I have never heard this. I'd like to know your source.

Anyway, I do think Harrell was a questionable pick, and I'm disappointed that he's gotten off to a slow start, but as usual with draft picks, it will take a few years to really judge the pick fairly. What concerns me a little right now is that he was making some strides a few weeks into training camp, but then he tailed off toward the end. I was expecting steady improvement. Hopefully he will get settled in and work his way into the rotation by the end of the season, with bigger and better things to come in the future.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

(Thousands of men have already TRIED to "fill in" that "blank!") :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats the way i look at it. If we had an immediate need there, then I'm SURE he would be playing. But what would be gained by throwing a rookie into the fire, when we have several players that are vets already to fill that role? Let Harrell learn from watching these guys, and later in the season let him play some.
Plus, with the arm problem he had, it sure can't hurt giving him some more time to heal and strengthen the arm.
It's WAY too early to label the guy good or bad. Gotta see him play first.
There is nothing to judge him on yet.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gator said:

Whatever

If you think you can do better than our scouting team, maybe you should apply for a job at the Packers front office.

nice response! BPA huh??!!
so why is Harrell better than Olsen and Griffin, please explain your point of view on this!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Thats the way i look at it. If we had an immediate need there, then I'm SURE he would be playing. But what would be gained by throwing a rookie into the fire, when we have several players that are vets already to fill that role? Let Harrell learn from watching these guys, and later in the season let him play some.
Plus, with the arm problem he had, it sure can't hurt giving him some more time to heal and strengthen the arm.
It's WAY too early to label the guy good or bad. Gotta see him play first.
There is nothing to judge him on yet.

here is the thing, why , if a team has glaring needs at several positions, and there are healthy players at these positions available, why does the GM select a injured player , at the deepest position on the team, when there are so many other slots to fill.?!

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

....so to speak.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is just like a couple of years ago when everybody was freaking out because our #1 draft pick, Aaron Rodgers, wasn't starting.

Reaction score
Interesting to hear Coach McCarthy say that Harrell is being asked to play at 320 pounds, which is 20 pounds more than the weight he played at in college.

I have to think that, mixed with coming off missing almost a year of football and then learning a new scheme have made Harrell's learning curve steeper than normal for rookies.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Interesting to hear Coach McCarthy say that Harrell is being asked to play at 320 pounds, which is 20 pounds more than the weight he played at in college.

I have to think that, mixed with coming off missing almost a year of football and then learning a new scheme have made Harrell's learning curve steeper than normal for rookies.

Beat me to it. Seems like the want a Gilbert Brown player out of Harrell. I'm glad we don't have to start him, because as AADP commented, it might take a year for him to come in and get adjusted. I see it like taking a QB first round. You don't expect them (realistically) to play their first game and be amazing. It will take some time to mold Harrell and hopefully it pays off.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, if in the next 5 drafts, the BPA is a DT, do we draft a DT every draft? I just don't buy that you should draft the BPA regardless of need. We had too many other glaring needs to draft an injured DT.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, if in the next 5 drafts, the BPA is a DT, do we draft a DT every draft? I just don't buy that you should draft the BPA regardless of need. We had too many other glaring needs to draft an injured DT.

Yes. You can always trade a vet of lesser talent for another pick or needed position player.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts