Harrell says"I haven't felt 100% since High school"

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
The pain for defensive tackle Justin Harrell and the disgruntlement for the Green Bay Packers just goes on and on.

On Friday, Harrell revealed that the lower-back issues that have dogged him since March haven't abated and doctors aren't sure what's causing them.

Harrell, a first-round draft choice in 2007, returned fully to practice Friday but was listed as questionable amid speculation that he won't play again this season.

"He fought through the practice," coach Mike McCarthy said. "Good to see him out there. He's going through a tough medical spot right now."

Listed with a hip injury, Harrell said the hip was interrelated with the back injury he suffered eight months ago. A team-affiliated doctor performed surgery on him for a ruptured disc on April 11. In August, he went out of state for additional back surgery.

"Just talking to the doctors, you really can't pinpoint what's actually going on," Harrell said. "It could be a variety of things. We've been dealing with my hip in the whole rehab process.

"I still really haven't got on the field. Ever since the first surgery, I've never been 100%, really. Just covered over it."

In October, not long before Harrell was activated to the roster, he said there had been no setbacks or pain since the second surgery.

"There's been times it just knots up and you've got to stop and kind of brace yourself," he said. "But it's not new to me. I've been dealing with it since the first time it happened.

"The whole disc and the pinched nerve and all that, it's been shooting pains all down your leg and stuff like that. We had to battle the leg and the hip getting tired. Every movement you make, you pretty much feel something."

Harrell has played in six games, averaging 20½ snaps. He has made almost no impact with 13 tackles, including 1½ for loss, and no pressures.

"I don't want to put my play on injuries," he said. "Of course, when you got pain, it's definitely going to hurt your game. But if you're out there, you've got to give it your best and try to make plays."

According to Harrell, probably the last time he felt 100% was during his high school days in Martin, Tenn. Injuries were his constant companion during five years at Tennessee and as a rookie in Green Bay.

"The higher up you go, the more bumps and bruises you're going to get," he said. "You've got to play through it."

Harrell's hope is that time and rest will heal his weakened spine. The possibility of a third surgery seemed distasteful to him.
Time to say it....B.U.S.T. :mad:

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On his interviews after practices, he seems very humble and personable, like "Packer People". I'm sorry, but "humble and personable" does not fit the persona of a rough, tough DT in the NFL these days. Those that are successful have dominating personalities, it seems to me. Harrell may have been successful in college football but he has hit the wall in the NFL. That said, I'm sure the Packers will pay whatever bonus' he is slated to get next year, and HOPE he comes to camp in shape (For once) and with a new attitude. It's easier than admitting you screwed up and going after another DT in the draft or FA.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts