Harlon likes MM??

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from an article with Bob Harlan about coach Mike McCarthy. Does he have faith in the man? I don't know if I can say that. Thompson took a HUGE gamble on taking McCarthy over qualified coaches like Jim Bates and Sean Payton. Hopefully MM turns out well, but here are the thoughts of Bob Harlan...what do you guys think?

Q: Other first-year coaches have had some success, including Sean Payton of the Saints, who the Packers passed over. Is Mike McCarthy the right man for the job as head coach?

Harlan: That decision I left totally in Ted's hands. I think if Ted feels that he is, then absolutely he's got 100 percent of my support and the support
of our board, because you've got to let your football people run your football operation. I met the individuals that Ted interviewed. In fact, I took them on a tour of the stadium before they would sit down and be interviewed, and Sean Payton was one of those young men. I enjoyed him tremendously. He's a wonderful young guy. But you've got to let your football people make the decisions. If they're going to build a team, they have to build it the way they want to build it. And Ted was convinced Mike was the right guy. Ted spent a lot of time and a lot of effort to do this to make this decision and do it the right way. I'll give him all the support I can.

For more of the article check out this link:

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061022/PKR01/610220651/1058/PKRFeatures

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but I think it's just an example of Harlan being careful not to meddle in the football side of things. If he praised McCarthy too much, that could be taken as implying that Harlan had a hand in hiring him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts