Ha Ha's importance to the Packers D

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hawk got a C, then Jones should have gotten a D or D+ honestly. Hawk is what he is, and does what he does VERY well, but has aspects of the game he simply can't or barely can do.

Lattimore is the only other option though I feel in the immediate time to push for serious playing time....I do like some of the "potential in the young guys coming in" but only Lattimore is the guy I think could unseat Jones substantially as Hawk is cemented in (and hate/love him, for good reason).

*I still wish we'd hung on to Bishop but in all honesty we need a ILB capable of ball hawking wide angle runs or covering. (exactly what Hawk can't excel at)

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
They are certainly "good enough" because the baseline that is strictly required is relatively low for what we ask our ILBs to do. More would be nice, but not required.

Regarding Jones, you do realize that he hurt his ankle early in the season? And that he never really looked the same after that? If I recall correctly, it was a high-ankle sprain. That he was even able to play is speak volumes.

Now if he doesn't play well when healthy (presumably he stays healthy, different problem) sure, move on.

Regarding "should have been addressed," there aren't infinite resources. Limited draft picks, picks that don't line up with value, sub-optimal ILBs on the market, etc. Once the big two fell off the board before our pick, I didn't see an obvious, clear upgrade.

Ok, so you are gunna give Jones a pass on an injury, I can somewhat see that.....BUT....what about the SF game in 2012 where he just stood there as guys ran around him/missed tackles/watched passes go past him....??? He belongs on a team like the Jags, not here with us.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, so you are gunna give Jones a pass on an injury, I can somewhat see that.....BUT....what about the SF game in 2012 where he just stood there as guys ran around him/missed tackles/watched passes go past him....??? He belongs on a team like the Jags, not here with us.

Um....There was a lot more guys than just Jones doing exactly as you described in the game I suspect you are talking about....

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Um....There was a lot more guys than just Jones doing exactly as you described in the game I suspect you are talking about....

Well...... the other guys looked a lot better than jones did, I can recall 4 seperate accasions of him just watching flat footed.... he was like a kid in shock and awe amazment watching something cool for the first time. IMO, Hawk is leaps ahead of Jones, and that aint saying a lot about Hawk lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well...... the other guys looked a lot better than jones did, I can recall 4 seperate accasions of him just watching flat footed.... he was like a kid in shock and awe amazment watching something cool for the first time. IMO, Hawk is leaps ahead of Jones, and that aint saying a lot about Hawk lol

I can agree with that, and yeah I agree with Hawk. I really don't understand the hate, the dude is a work horse and the things he does well he does extremely well. We just need that next up and comer with some more range and motor with him in the inside....Lattimore couldn't be in a better position if he wants it to plant himself.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that’s a pretty fair evaluation of Jones with a grade that is slightly too high (Hawk got a “C”). I agree with mradtke66 that the situation at ILB going into this season is not comparably as bad as the safety situation going into last season. I wish they would have addressed the ILB position this off season – it would have been interesting if one of the top two ILBs would have been available along with Clinton-Dix. I’m not sure what was available in second tier or lower UFA so I too question whether an obvious upgrade was available.

I agree that´s a fair evaluation of Jones. If one of the top ILBs would have been available at #21 I think Thompson would have drafted either Mosley or Shazier as the draft was way deeper at safety.

I am hoping what we heard/read about Lattimore as the lone ILB in some alignments will work out, but for that to happen Lattimore will have to continue to improve. I believe he was switched to ILB in 2012 and didn’t get a lot of snaps there until last season so I don’t think it is unrealistic to think he could continue to get better there. And I’m holding out hope a player like Barrington could force his way into the starting lineup, although that’s unlikely.

It´s possible Lattimore could improve, but I don´t expect him to be a starter at any point.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It´s possible Lattimore could improve, but I don´t expect him to be a starter at any point.
While I don't think ILB is as dire as safety last season IMO it's the weakest position group on the D. As to whether or not Lattimore will be a starter, IMO that’s not really the question. Just like the snaps a nickel back gets in Capers D, he may not be a “starter” but he may get more snaps than one of the two “starting” ILBs. Lattimore is going into his fourth year so ordinarily I’d say we’ve pretty much seen what he as to offer. But he was a DE in college and then played OLB in his rookie season. He was switched inside in 2012 and finally got on the field (other than STs) last season, starting 4 games. Like McGinn, I thought he showed more in October and fell off some in December, but he did show some instincts earlier. IMO this is the season we’ll find out about Jamari at ILB and apparently the staff likes him enough to give him a shot as the lone ILB in some alignment.

Because the bar is set so low by the starters, because they are saying they will simplify the schemes ("less scheme, more personnel") and finally because trying Lattimore out as the lone ILB may indicate they feel the same way about the ILB position as many of us do, I think there’s a decent chance Lattimore will get more snaps than Brad Jones.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I agree that´s a fair evaluation of Jones. If one of the top ILBs would have been available at #21 I think Thompson would have drafted either Mosley or Shazier as the draft was way deeper at safety.

Agree that Lattimore should/could improve.... but then again there were times when he made ya say WOW, he made a heck of a play and then a couple plays later he got turned and burned on a simple play. It is good that he has shown more than just a couple flashes of good play. I hope he takes more than one step forward and gets more time on the grass.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO this is the season we’ll find out about Jamari at ILB and apparently the staff likes him enough to give him a shot as the lone ILB in some alignment.

I haven´t read anything about that this offseason, do you have a link to a story mentioning that???

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
An OTA or minicamp report said Lattimore lined up as the sole ILB in some alignments. Here's a jsonline blog about Lattimore vs. Jones: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/263542751.html This is an interesting quote from LB coach Winston Moss: "Brad’s our starter, until I’m told otherwise..." He does go on to praise Jones when he's 'healthy and dialed in' but that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

D

Deleted member 6794

An OTA or minicamp report said Lattimore lined up as the sole ILB in some alignments. Here's a jsonline blog about Lattimore vs. Jones: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/263542751.html This is an interesting quote from LB coach Winston Moss: "Brad’s our starter, until I’m told otherwise..." He does go on to praise Jones when he's 'healthy and dialed in' but that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

We'll see. Jason Wilde mentioned on the state of the Packers show that Lattimore got more snaps in OTAs and minicamp than in previous years, so it seems like they're at least giving him a chance to earn more playing time.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I believe Hyde and Clinton-Dix will do their best. My great concern lies with the Linebackers. TT will not address it until the next Draft. We will just have to live with what we have, like it or not . :(

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe Hyde and Clinton-Dix will do their best. My great concern lies with the Linebackers. TT will not address it until the next Draft. We will just have to live with what we have, like it or not . :(

Maybe one of the undrafted ILBs (Doughty and Thomas) can make an impact.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Maybe one of the undrafted ILBs (Doughty and Thomas) can make an impact.

I learned a long time ago not to count on money until it is in the bank account. Therefor I don't count on Football Players until the prove themselves against league competition. Dreams are nice , but they are not reality. ILB has become more than it used to be. They have to stop the run, drop back into coverage, and be able to blitz when called upon. Next to the QB, the LB may be the most challenging position in the game today. The position has evolved over the decades, the player must be lightning quick, massively strong, and possess a very quick mind. He may only have a few hundredths of a second to correctly analyze a play and correctly react to counter it. IMO the great Linebackers may be harder to discover than QB's.
They try to hire good players to play Linebacker, and train them, and coach them. With all that, if he lacks the heart, the drive, the mental ability, then he is just ordinary. Examples would include: **** Butkus, Mike Singletary, Ray Nitschke, J.J.Watt, Jack Ham, etc... to name just a few. They lacked nothing, they had the total package. It is like walking on a beach and discovering a diamond.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

I learned a long time ago not to count on money until it is in the bank account. Therefor I don't count on Football Players until the prove themselves against league competition. Dreams are nice , but they are not reality.

I don´t expect any of them to make an impact, but usually some undrafted guys make the 53. But aside of Colt Lyerla at TE I think the guys at the ILB position have the best chance to make it out of camp this season.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping they would move Bradford inside, but it seems they are going to keep him on the outside.

Both Hawk and Jones need to be replaced, but TT, MM, and Capers don't agree. Everyone, including the national media, had us addressing ILB early in the draft - TT didn't draft a single one.

Still, even without doing anything to fix the mess at ILB, I think that if Clinton-Dix, Hyde, or Richardson can shore up the Safety position, and we play less 2-4, that would be enough to make us legitimate contenders.

Not holding my breath on any of those counts, but I think there is the potential there to turn it around.

D

Deleted member 6794

Both Hawk and Jones need to be replaced, but TT, MM, and Capers don't agree. Everyone, including the national media, had us addressing ILB early in the draft - TT didn't draft a single one.

There wasn´t a lot of talent left at ILB in this year´s draft after Mosley was gone. Still would have liked Thompson to draft Smallwood in the later rounds.

The position should have been improved via free agency though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha is a great talent. Watching how he played in Alabama. I seen greatness. He hits and wraps up. He intercepts a lot of balls on top of it...

Members online

Latest posts