Ha-Ha Clinton Dix Overrated?

Who would be the best fit for the Packers Defense at Safety

• Total voters

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well blown coverage's and balls going right through our safeties hands for TD's have killed us way more then a few 15 yard penalties for a big hit that wakes everybody up and gives receivers "alligator arms." Obviously the rules have changed but it's football and there will always be a place or time in a game for a big hit. Sometimes it's about setting the tone and getting those diva receivers thinking.

As far as Dix it's a hype show and it has nothing to do with the fact that he cant hit hard. Everyone that argues with me about the safety position and what TT should do talks of a single high safety like what the team had with Nick Collins which would be great. Problem is Dix isn't that guy and not even close to the athlete Collins was. Nowhere near the explosiveness. Yeah he played at Bama and well coached but he is maxed out. Can anyone name one Bama DB that has done anything in recent years or reached the hype potential? Can anyone name an Alabama DB that did nothing for the Packers? I can. In fact he was a safety.

George Teague. At the end of the 1995 season, he was traded to the Atlanta Falcons for a conditional 7th round draft choice, after not producing according to his draft selection.

Dix wont be there at 21 anyways so I don't have to worry about TT drafting him. The only player I think worth trading up a couple spots for is CJ Mosley. Were better off drating a mid to late round safety or corner that has a high ceiling and developing him into this single high safety.

We need a safety that can make sure tackles and take good angles. That's why I'm really optimistic about Hyde back there. I could care less if he "hits hard" or "sets a tone" or any of that garbage. It seemed overrated through the years and now that it's getting penalized I can do without it.

Also, "that guy went to school X, and you KNOW what happens to guys who went to school X..." is a silly argument. Most folks out there see him as the best safety and especially the best cover safety. We'll see what the GMs think on draft day and what happens through the rest of his career, but I'm sure whatever happens with him it'll have nothing to do with Mark Barron or George Teague or anyone else from Alabama.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We need a safety that can make sure tackles and take good angles. That's why I'm really optimistic about Hyde back there. I could care less if he "hits hard" or "sets a tone" or any of that garbage. It seemed overrated through the years and now that it's getting penalized I can do without it.

Also, "that guy went to school X, and you KNOW what happens to guys who went to school X..." is a silly argument. Most folks out there see him as the best safety and especially the best cover safety. We'll see what the GMs think on draft day and what happens through the rest of his career, but I'm sure whatever happens with him it'll have nothing to do with Mark Barron or George Teague or anyone else from Alabama.

Yeah I am optimistic about Hyde too. He had a heck of a season for a 5th round rookie. I look forward to seeing him this season with a year under his belt and going through the whole off-season program as a Packer. If you look back at when Hyde was drafted he was projected as a corner/safety. He was a 5th rounder because he didn't have the greatest combine numbers but listed as very instinctive and high football IQ.

It will be interesting to review Dix in a few years. I just don't see anything special IMO an I am glad that the chances of him being on board at 21 are slim to none. With Dix we might be spending a 1st round pick on a guy that we already have in Hyde.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I am optimistic about Hyde too. He had a heck of a season for a 5th round rookie. I look forward to seeing him this season with a year under his belt and going through the whole off-season program as a Packer. If you look back at when Hyde was drafted he was projected as a corner/safety. He was a 5th rounder because he didn't have the greatest combine numbers but listed as very instinctive and high football IQ.

I agree that Hyde did fine for a fifth round pick, but he wasn´t spectacular by any means. He didn´t have an interception either, guess that´s he would fit perfectly in at the safety position.

It will be interesting to review Dix in a few years. I just don't see anything special IMO an I am glad that the chances of him being on board at 21 are slim to none. With Dix we might be spending a 1st round pick on a guy that we already have in Hyde.

Clinton-Dix could turn into a pretty solid starting FS, IMO Hyde fits better at SS.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree that Hyde did fine for a fifth round pick, but he wasn´t spectacular by any means. He didn´t have an interception either, guess that´s he would fit perfectly in at the safety position.

Clinton-Dix could turn into a pretty solid starting FS, IMO Hyde fits better at SS.

Hyde didn't play free safety last year either and played less then 50 percent of snaps. He improved as season went on and his confidence grew which is what you want to see from a rookie. I don't know why you think Dix is gonna become this big "ball hawk". He had two picks all season last year playing behind one of the best defensive fronts in the country. Also, he didn't force one fumble. He does appear to be a solid open field tackler. He does a pretty good job of keeping everyone in front of him most of the time. He gets out-muscled by bigger receivers which we play a lot of. He isn't that strong. He isn't that fast. He has some good burst. I don't see anything that jumps out at you with this guy. Nothing real terrible but nothing that great.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not confident in Hyde. He's a SS, his college Safety tape was atrocious, and we need a FS. Two SS on the field doesn't fix a thing.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not confident in Hyde. He's a SS, his college Safety tape was atrocious, and we need a FS. Two SS on the field doesn't fix a thing.

We drafted Hyde to play corner and I would imagine that means his coverage skills (or potential) are pretty good. Coverage is the main reqiuirement in a free safety so I'm not sure why he would be a bad free safety. A guy that's bad at free safety, i would think, would be a terrible corner.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We drafted Hyde to play corner and I would imagine that means his coverage skills (or potential) are pretty good. Coverage is the main reqiuirement in a free safety so I'm not sure why he would be a bad free safety. A guy that's bad at free safety, i would think, would be a terrible corner.
You'd generally be correct, but the tape don't lie. What makes it even more confusing is that he has the ability to locate the ball quickly. Now explain how a guy who ran a 4.5 at the combine got burned so many times as a slot CB, because that's on this past year's tape.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Pick no. 53 Terrence Brooks. That's fine, Hyde adds depth to safety spot. Maybe he puts Burnett on the bench and if that happens then it's a good thing because it will show we have improved there. I did hear Hyde's off-season program was to get stronger and a little bigger. With Hayward coming back in the slot were really only one guy away from have a pretty good secondary. I think that one guy could be Terrence Brooks. My only concern is were a little short back there.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Pick no. 53 Terrence Brooks. That's fine, Hyde adds depth to safety spot. Maybe he puts Burnett on the bench and if that happens then it's a good thing because it will show we have improved there. I did hear Hyde's off-season program was to get stronger and a little bigger. With Hayward coming back in the slot were really only one guy away from have a pretty good secondary. I think that one guy could be Terrence Brooks. My only concern is were a little short back there.
Yeah, depth is a little shoddy. I actually like Richardson as a backup SS/3rd S though, brings that physicality and enforcer mentality the hit fetishists love.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know why you think Dix is gonna become this big "ball hawk". He had two picks all season last year playing behind one of the best defensive fronts in the country. Also, he didn't force one fumble. He does appear to be a solid open field tackler. He does a pretty good job of keeping everyone in front of him most of the time. He gets out-muscled by bigger receivers which we play a lot of. He isn't that strong. He isn't that fast. He has some good burst. I don't see anything that jumps out at you with this guy. Nothing real terrible but nothing that great.

I´ve never said that I expect Clinton-Dix to be a big ball hawk in the NFL, but to be a solid FS we´ve been missing since Collins went down in 2011. Don´t get me wrong, I´m not comparing him to Collins by any means, but he would be far the best FS we´ve had since losing him.

D

Deleted member 6794

It´s a different assignment being asked to cover a WR in the slot playing corner than having to provide help over the top over the entire field while lining up at FS. Being a good CB doesn´t automatically translate into being a good free safety as well.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´ve never said that I expect Clinton-Dix to be a big ball hawk in the NFL, but to be a solid FS we´ve been missing since Collins went down in 2011. Don´t get me wrong, I´m not comparing him to Collins by any means, but he would be far the best FS we´ve had since losing him.

When Thompson talks about drafting value and the best player, he says he doesn't necessarily use our needs at the moment but more of the impact a player will have on the team in the future. When looking at Clinton Dix I think you have to look at a few different years of past safety classes. Is there anything that jumps out at you that says "oh my god, he's a top 15 pick!"? Because all I've noticed is that he might be the lowest risk at complete bust in this years safety class. He's the "safest" guy to grab out of his class, so he will be the first safety to go whether he is a first round talent or not. And therefore, he will go to a team drafting based on need not value. The only safety who is a first round VALUE in this draft is Pryor and I say that only if you're drafting him to play SS and only SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

When Thompson talks about drafting value and the best player, he says he doesn't necessarily use our needs at the moment but more of the impact a player will have on the team in the future. When looking at Clinton Dix I think you have to look at a few different years of past safety classes. Is there anything that jumps out at you that says "oh my god, he's a top 15 pick!"? Because all I've noticed is that he might be the lowest risk at complete bust in this years safety class. He's the "safest" guy to grab out of his class, so he will be the first safety to go whether he is a first round talent or not. And therefore, he will go to a team drafting based on need not value. The only safety who is a first round VALUE in this draft is Pryor and I say that only if you're drafting him to play SS and only SS.

Don't be fooled by what Thompson tells the media about his draft strategy. Position of need does factor into every pick, especially if players are rated nearly equally.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be fooled by what Thompson tells the media about his draft strategy. Position of need does factor into every pick, especially if players are rated nearly equally.

Not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is take the last 8 drafts and all of their top safety prospects... Where does Clinton Dix rank with those guys coming out of school? He's average. You don't draft a guy who has a better chance of being average than Standout in the first. Someone will but TT would not.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He doesn't take the best player available. It's more that he WONT take a player that doesn't have a grade of the spot he is drafting and I can't see Clinton Dix having a pick 21 grade having no standout skills or really even standout plays in his college career.

D

Deleted member 6794

He doesn't take the best player available. It's more that he WONT take a player that doesn't have a grade of the spot he is drafting and I can't see Clinton Dix having a pick 21 grade having no standout skills or really even standout plays in his college career.

Having a solid FS is becoming more and more important in today's NFL. While Clinton- Dix might have some flaws to his game he's widely regarded as the best safety in a very deep draft and constantly ranked within the top 20 prospects. Most safeties taken in the first round over the last few years have worked out pretty well, so I think Clinton- Dix will turn into an impact player for the team he ends up with.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a solid FS is becoming more and more important in today's NFL. While Clinton- Dix might have some flaws to his game he's widely regarded as the best safety in a very deep draft and constantly ranked within the top 20 prospects. Most safeties taken in the first round over the last few years have worked out pretty well, so I think Clinton- Dix will turn into an impact player for the team he ends up with.

The thing is the draft may be deep but it isn't at safety

D

Deleted member 6794

The thing is the draft may be deep but it isn't at safety

I have to disagree with that statement. Two safeties have a first round grade on a very deep draft. It hasn't happened a lot of times in NFL history that more than two safeties have been selected in the 1st round.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree with that statement. Two safeties have a first round grade on a very deep draft. It hasn't happened a lot of times in NFL history that more than two safeties have been selected in the 1st round.

Okay... I'll reword my statement. The draft isn't deep at free safety

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see that at all. Most other years this year's 4-5 rounders would be 6-7th round fliers.

There aren´t a lot of free safeties projected to be drafted in the fourth or fifth round and I think the assumption that this draft isn´t deep at FS is mainly because last year´s class was pretty good. If you compare it to some other drafts over the last ten years I think it´s fair to say this year´s class is average.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
There aren´t a lot of free safeties projected to be drafted in the fourth or fifth round and I think the assumption that this draft isn´t deep at FS is mainly because last year´s class was pretty good. If you compare it to some other drafts over the last ten years I think it´s fair to say this year´s class is average.
I've only been a student of the draft the past 5 years, so I have no clue what those classes looked like. Comparing to the past 5 years minus last year it's still a bit underwhelming. There's a lot not to like about this class.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've only been a student of the draft the past 5 years, so I have no clue what those classes looked like. Comparing to the past 5 years minus last year it's still a bit underwhelming. There's a lot not to like about this class.

I don´t think so. Can you name a single really good FS who was drafted after the second round during this period??? I think teams are pretty good in evaluating safety talent and if Clinton-Dix, Pryor and Brooks all turn out to be solid FS this year will turn into a pretty good one for FS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts