Gumbel sucks

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it that hard to know the difference between the Packers and the Cowboys...

"Barber is the heartbeat of the Packers offense..."???

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it that hard to know the difference between the Packers and the Cowboys...

"Barber is the heartbeat of the Packers offense..."???

im watching this live feed on nfl.com, and its nothing but a bunch of yapping and some delayed highlights. nfl network sucks. i dont care whether or not we get it. nothing but shameless self promotion.

I also tried feeds on channelsurfing and couldnt get on and that other site whatever its called.

didnt even see a packers td, heard it on the radio.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gumbel has been terrible tonight. Keeps getting the players wrong, etc.

To make it worse, my dad just observed that Gumbel sounds exactly like John Boy. That's from the Waltons. If any of you are old enough to remember that show, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. His voice is exactly the same.

Now I can't get that out of my head and it is really annoying.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gumbel is terrible. He has made many mistakes.

However, did you hear Collinsworth say that 'Witten is a tool'. My wife asked 'did he mean that as a compliment???'

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gumbel has been terrible tonight. Keeps getting the players wrong, etc.

To make it worse, my dad just observed that Gumbel sounds exactly like John Boy. That's from the Waltons. If any of you are old enough to remember that show, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. His voice is exactly the same.

Now I can't get that out of my head and it is really annoying.

Good Night John Boy. My mom always said that the Waltons was corny.

screwballl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah this nfl.com show is crap... they talk and yap when the Pack has the ball but seem to allow the game to be seen when Dallas has the ball...

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gumbel is terrible. He has made many mistakes.

However, did you hear Collinsworth say that 'Witten is a tool'. My wife asked 'did he mean that as a compliment???'

Yeah, I heard the tool comment. It was good. I think he was talking about one of their linebackers though... he meant it as a compliment... as if he were very useful, however I laughed at him...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gumbel has kind of a high, weak voice, and he has no rhythm in his delivery. He has no business doing play-by-play. I think Collinsworth does a pretty good job, though.

The commentary by Deion Sanders was awkward. His microphone was too loud and he was wearing that goofy suit on the sidelines, then the Cowboys scored a touchdown while he was talking, and we never saw him again.

All in all, it was kind of a weird broadcast, not to mention a weird game.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
For the excellent job the NFLN does with the pre-game and post game shows.. their play by play and color guys are terrible.

I concur.. they suck.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Colinsworth. He seems to say it like it is and he knows his stuff.

Gumble just doesn't have the voice to be a play by play guy.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I like Colinsworth. He seems to say it like it is and he knows his stuff.

I don't know what it is about him... I can't stand him on HBO and he isn't the worst color guy but for the NFLN... should be better. IMO.

ttsather

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard the tool comment. It was good. I think he was talking about one of their linebackers though... he meant it as a compliment... as if he were very useful, however I laughed at him...

Was it DeMarcus Ware? Regardless, it was hilarious.

Even if his call was spot on, which it seemingly never was, Gumbel's unemotional voice does absolutely nothing for me. Beyond getting player names incorrect and other factual mistakes, he was often late with calls, getting any detail into the description well after the play was decided or over.

I feel like Collinsworth used to succumb too often to the classic Dierdorf habit of looking for the big extreme statement to make his comments stand out, but has now become much more poignant and genuine. He tops Gumbel in knowledge and in broadcasting fundamentals.

NFL Network does a great job of bringing in the ambient crowd noise, which makes it far easier to take advantage of the only true positive to Gumbel's call - his voice being so soft and unsubstantial that it is very easy to tune out.

(Moral of the story: Wayne and Larry)

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luckily for me the bar I was is was so loud we couldn't hear the commentary. Gumble SUCKS

Also was it just me but when ever Prime was talking I just kept wanting to yell PREACH! like I was in church or something

SaltwaterServr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only possibly Helen Keller could have done a worse job than Bumble. Horrible horrible commentary. Who the heck is Ron Williams? Rick Romo? Which players play for which team? Is Bumble color blind too? Can't figure out which players are in which uni?

He even got one of our LB's name wrong three times.

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was in chat during the game and commented it was the worst commentary I have ever heard on a game.

It seemed so detached from what was going on on the field and they were both sycophantic towards the cowboys.

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Rick Romo throws deep to Patrick Swazy ... touchdowwwwn ... Dallas Packers."

Gumble has been getting absolutely RIPPED on Dallas radio today. I didn't get to hear Gumble during the game but I just watched the game again and he was actually pretty funny (only because I already knew the outcome of the game).

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - agree, he was awful. every time there was a tackle it's like he was just saying, "[packer whose name I remember] on the tackle." When that player is like 10 yards away... and the classic, "he would appear to have the first down," as barber runs like 15yds past the marker.

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - agree, he was awful. every time there was a tackle it's like he was just saying, "[packer whose name I remember] on the tackle." When that player is like 10 yards away... and the classic, "he would appear to have the first down," as barber runs like 15yds past the marker.

:rotflmao:

Also what made the comment about Marion Barber being the heart and sole of the Green Bay offense so hilarious was the fact that Collinsworth had just spent about 5 minutes talking about Barber.

It sounded as if Gumble was reading the news paper and would just glance up at the game and make a comment.

Members online