Grifith to the Raiders

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I think TT has all but publicly declared he won't go out of his way to make this team a SB contender in the short term.

Actually, on wssp out of Milwaukee on the Gary and Cliff show they had Ted on a while back and asked him about that, and he said NO...

I dont know when the interview was, but they re play it every so often.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bummer that the Pack didn't get Griffith. He would've been a nice addition to the team. He'll be making very good money for a fullback. Let's not forget, though, that the Packers did NOT lose their starting fullback. Henderson was benched before the halfway point of the season, and he played later only because Miree was hurt.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason not to sign a FA at Griffiths price. You are not risking your future at 3.8 million dollars. There will be plenty of draft picks, guys on the roster,etc that don't pan out. Thats chump change in the big picture of things.

I am mad we did not get Griffith. Some signings that Ted took a pass on I understand, but a few I am left shaking my head on. I just look at what is left and I don't see anything that is a great fit for GB. Have no worries however, as soon as TT signs some clef like Tory James TT's groupies will be singing his praises.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Bummer that the Pack didn't get Griffith. He would've been a nice addition to the team. He'll be making very good money for a fullback. Let's not forget, though, that the Packers did NOT lose their starting fullback. Henderson was benched before the halfway point of the season, and he played later only because Miree was hurt.

Good point..maybe after talking it over with the coaches and suchj it was decided as a TEAM that they did not need him??

but sure would have been nice to get him in here

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason not to sign a FA at Griffiths price. You are not risking your future at 3.8 million dollars. There will be plenty of draft picks, guys on the roster,etc that don't pan out. Thats chump change in the big picture of things.

I am mad we did not get Griffith. Some signings that Ted took a pass on I understand, but a few I am left shaking my head on. I just look at what is left and I don't see anything that is a great fit for GB. Have no worries however, as soon as TT signs some clef like Tory James TT's groupies will be singing his praises.

You're back! God I missed you! What did you think of the O-line towards the end of last season?

Reaction score

I agree with you that if TT refused to sign Griffith at 3.8 million for 3 years, there is something wrong.

However there is no evidence that suggests that TT went that way. For all we know, Griffith liked Oakland better than GB because of something such as Oakland having a better night life. Hard to blame TT for not signing Griffith if that turns out to be the case.

To be fair, I've heard good things about Miree, that he was slated to start for the Broncos until he developed an injury history which led to him getting cut.

If he can stay healthy, he may do a good job yet.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I agree with you that if TT refused to sign Griffith at 3.8 million for 3 years, there is something wrong.

However there is no evidence that suggests that TT went that way. For all we know, Griffith liked Oakland better than GB because of something such as Oakland having a better night life. Hard to blame TT for not signing Griffith if that turns out to be the case.

Maybe his mother is a fan of the black hole :thumbsup:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
* FREE AGENCY UPDATE

Fullback Justin Griffith,who visited with the Pack earlier in the week, signed a three-year contract with Oakland on Friday. The deal is worth $3.8 million.According to a person familiar with the situation, Griffith's decision wasn't about money.

He simply preferred the idea of playing in California and rejoining two of his former assistant coaches from Atlanta.....

Cornerback Frank Walker will be in Green Bay on Sunday. The 26-year-old spent the past four seasons with the Giants.Walker struggled in 2006, but he has above-average skills and couldbenefit from a change of scenery.

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packerupdate/

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we missed the boat on this one. A good fullback with zone blocking experience. If, 3.8mil for 3 years is correct I wonder what TT is willing to pay. Does anyone know if we gave Griffith an offer and what it was?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, it's starting to look like GB has no choice but to be a non-factor in this year's FA. I'm really disappointed that we didn't get Griffith. If he chose Oakland simply for being in CA, I can't say much except his chances for success just diminished. He's a ZBS master, the Raiders don't use ZBS, and they already have a good FB on the roster. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Whatever.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
last 2 posts here are interesting..one says the packers missed the boat and the other says he chose Oakland simply for being in CA..

how can we have 2 totaly differtent views when its shown he wanted to play in Ca and with former coaches?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtime, it's clear that life is much easier if we don't ask questions, especially in the face of contradictory statements. Communism.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtime, I understand but, I didn't figure all of our players live in GB and since Oak. does not run the ZBS I think it would have been an opportunity for Grififth to excell for 2 to 3 years and then get paid big time in his last contract of his career.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
well, it's starting to look like GB has no choice but to be a non-factor in this year's FA. I'm really disappointed that we didn't get Griffith. If he chose Oakland simply for being in CA, I can't say much except his chances for success just diminished. He's a ZBS master, the Raiders don't use ZBS, and they already have a good FB on the roster. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Whatever.

This is what i'm really starting to hate about the zone blocking system, it's like buying car parts for a saab--that's the analogy i always make...one or two other teams where these systems are ran and we struggle like hell to find players to fit the system...at least we're developing five starting linemen to hopefully form a solid unit

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
* FREE AGENCY UPDATE

Fullback Justin Griffith,who visited with the Pack earlier in the week, signed a three-year contract with Oakland on Friday. The deal is worth $3.8 million.According to a person familiar with the situation, Griffith's decision wasn't about money.

He simply preferred the idea of playing in California and rejoining two of his former assistant coaches from Atlanta.....

Cornerback Frank Walker will be in Green Bay on Sunday. The 26-year-old spent the past four seasons with the Giants.Walker struggled in 2006, but he has above-average skills and couldbenefit from a change of scenery.

That's what ive been saying. good stuff, LT. Didn't take Pyle long to return to his wrongness.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
* FREE AGENCY UPDATE

That's what ive been saying. good stuff, LT. Didn't take Pyle long to return to his wrongness.

Yeah, It had nothing to do with money. Why isn't he playing for the vet minimum then? If you want good players you have to pay. TT will not do so because he is too cheap thus we endure 4-12 years followed by 8-8 ones which tricks the challenged into thinking GB won the Super Bowl.

By the way, the O-line played decent last year towards the end. To bad we were 8-8. If you want me to do cartwheels over that, think again. I would rather leave that to TT's faithful followers. It's sad when your best argument that TT is of any worth is he went 8-8.

Whats TT's steller record as GM?

Oh wait, he's building Rome, one discount brick at a time.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well 8-8 is an improvement over 4-4, and to be fair I think not many people even expected us to get to 8-8.

It is a step in the right direction, better than nothing.

Not hard to take a step in the right direction when you were 4-12 the year before.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
longtimefan said:
* FREE AGENCY UPDATE

Yeah, It had nothing to do with money. Why isn't he playing for the vet minimum then? If you want good players you have to pay. TT will not do so because he is too cheap thus we endure 4-12 years followed by 8-8 ones which tricks the challenged into thinking GB won the Super Bowl.

By the way, the O-line played decent last year towards the end. To bad we were 8-8. If you want me to do cartwheels over that, think again. I would rather leave that to TT's faithful followers. It's sad when your best argument that TT is of any worth is he went 8-8.

8-8 is far better than what most expected and correct me if I'm wrong, including you. I do agree that the Packers need to make the proper moves to get better and currently they're not doing it. However from season one to two the Packers doubled their win total under Ted Thompson. There is no reason why the Packers shouldn't show improvement in the 3rd year as well especially with the abundance of 1st year starters from last year returning and improving. If I don't see improvement from those respective players I put that on coaching as much as the front office. Stating the Packers will go 8-8 for years to come is a matter of opinion rather than fact but if there is a time to take charge in the NFC and even the NFC North (the Bears have some problems) now is that time. So far Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have disappointed me in their approach to the off season this year. I like building through the Draft but there are a lot of good players who will sign for good value and Griffith was one of them.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
longtimefan said:
* FREE AGENCY UPDATE

8-8 is far better than what most expected and correct me if I'm wrong, including you. I do agree that the Packers need to make the proper moves to get better and currently they're not doing it. However from season one to two the Packers doubled their win total under Ted Thompson. There is no reason why the Packers shouldn't show improvement in the 3rd year as well especially with the abundance of 1st year starters from last year returning and improving. If I don't see improvement from those respective players I put that on coaching as much as the front office. Stating the Packers will go 8-8 for years to come is a matter of opinion rather than fact but if there is a time to take charge in the NFC and even the NFC North (the Bears have some problems) now is that time. So far Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have disappointed me in their approach to the off season this year. I like building through the Draft but there are a lot of good players who will sign for good value and Griffith was one of them.

It can be spun how you want but the it is awfully pathetic to double your win total when you win 8 games. Consider the injuries the Pack had 2 years ago. Did they really IMPROVE that much or did they just remain healthier?

Has Ted made improvements, YES. You know how he did that? By going 4-12 the year before and drafting Hawk at 5 and by spending some cash on Woodson. There is not going to be a Hawk around at 16 and all the decent FA's are gone.

I just see average across the board. No sense of urgency whatsoever. Lare said it best when he said it kind of reminds him of the 70's and 80's. If we win 8 games we had a good year,if we win 4-5 it was expected, all the while keeping the masses happy with the guise of "rebuilding from the ground up"

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just see average across the board. No sense of urgency whatsoever. Lare said it best when he said it kind of reminds him of the 70's and 80's. If we win 8 games we had a good year,if we win 4-5 it was expected, all the while keeping the masses happy with the guise of "rebuilding from the ground up"

I won't speak for the entire fan base of the Green Bay Packers but I get the feeling that the expectations this season are far greater than last year. Hearing the callers on the radio and reading comments around the net it seems as if most Packer fans will settle for nothing less than a playoff birth this season. Some feel the Packers can even win the Division. Whether you want to call them “homers” or whatever, the optimism is as high as it’s been in a long time. If it's not met then I think a backlash could begin at this time next year.

Reaction score
Pyle, I think we can't simply judge TT on the FA period yet, there are still some decent names out there.

For all we know, he is busy trying to scout players that will have an immediate impact ala Gregorious Jennings.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts