Greg Jennings Packers HOF: Yes or No

Greg Jennings, do you put him in the Green Bay Packers HALL OF FAME?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just came from another site with a lot of Packer fans, and it was a good discussion about whether Jennings should go into the Packer Hall of Fame.

Some say his stats are pretty similar to Antonio Freeman, who's in, so yes they say Jennings should go in.

Other say he's maybe worthy, but the fact that he spurned the organizations strong attempt to keep him as a Packer, should keep him out of the Packer Hall.

Ted Thompson made a strong effort to keep Jennings. We all thought he was gone for sure and Ted wouldn't even try and keep him. We were wrong. Ted waited to extend Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, and said goodbye to Driver and didn't extend Finley, a lot of that was to leave money to keep Jennings.

Jennings got more money from the Grape Ape Nation, and he chose no.
I say for that, I choose no to him in our HOF.
He'll never make the NFL HOF.

Not everyone goes after every extra dollar, flees for the Enemy Purple.
See Driver.

What's your honest vote here, and there are no official criteria.
It's whatever you want, feel.

Driver already is in from this era at WR.
More production, and he didn't take the money to go to the Grape Side.

I vote no, and remember I LOVED this guy coming out of Western Michigan, met his parents at his first NFL game (home shutout loss to the Bears), and I like Jennings Faith.

But some of the things that his big-mouthed sister FOR SURE were ideas she heard from Greg.
He PLANNED on leaving....he expected Miami with Philbin to throw the money at him. But they preferred Mike Wallace.

So he got his next best wish, Minnesota and Adrian Peterson back there with him.
He betrayed the organization to take an extra year $.
For that, he makes this an easy NO for me.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. In my view, a hall of famer, be it Packers or NFL, isn't someone you should have to think about. It should be a no-brainer. With Jennings, I have to try and convince myself he's deserving, which means he's really not.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Do we win the Superbowl without him?

Too hypothetical to even try to guess. He had a good game and two TDs (including a nice grab behind Troy P's swipe), but it wasn't like he was a dominant force that took over the game. I recall Nelson having a better overall game and presence.

So, this alone is not enough for me for to vote yes on HOF.

M

mayo44

No. And not for any of the petty, childish reasons some are tossing around, but simply because he hasn't done enough as a Packer.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes; no question about it. The quality (425 receptions=7th all-time in team history, 53 TD catches=5th in team history, 2 Pro Bowl nods, important offensive cog for a championship team) combined with an adequate length of service (96 games, same as Robert Brooks, for example) would seem to make it an eventual certainty. Personally, I wouldn't let emotional factors such as leaving the Packers for more money enter into the decision. And I'm willing to bet the Packers HOF voters won't either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I generally agree with Mayo44's sentiment. When did the Packers organization (and more accurately its fans) start sitting on a golden throne that casts all ex-players as "betraying" our team? Come on. Free agency has been around for quite a while. This isn't uncharted territory. Players leave for more money or an opportunity to play more. Maybe Jennings cared more about getting the stats to be in the NFL HOF versus just the Packers. Splitting reps with Nelson, Cobb, and Finley wasn't going to do it. I won't question the guy's motives. None of us know all the facts, no matter how many papparazi sites and blogs we've read.

Does he make it into our HOF? I think that he's on the bubble. However, I'd have zero issue with it as he played his heart out, exemplified the type of person we want in this organization, and put up good numbers every season.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Hope he can recover from his injury. As hope he can as he has seen better years. But he may have one good year left in him!

Reaction score
I said yes, because he has had many memorable games. Don't forget that he had the biggest game of his career in the Super Bowl with 2 tds (including that 3rd down catch in the Super Bowl to extend the drive in the 4th)... His catch and Aaron's throw basically helped "seal" the deal for the Super Bowl.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He was to driven by money, not love for the packers or love for the game. Could Driver have left and went and been a #2 WR on another team, yes I think he could have. But he chose to ride it out, for less money, for less play time......all to retire a packer and cement himself a place in packer history. I say "NO", GJ does not deserve to be in the packer HOF.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the Super Bowl game itself ... yes.

Based on an overall body of work, for his career, I'd say no. He's not in the same elite category as Lofton, Sharpe, or Driver, for comparison's sake. But, the Packers Hall of Fame criteria - the bar isn't set all that high. Robert Brooks is in there. That being said, Jennings probably will get in, as well.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I understand the entrance criteria correctly all that is needed to warrant induction is to do great things while playing for the team. He certainly meets that criteria.

M

mayo44

He was to driven by money, not love for the packers or love for the game. Could Driver have left and went and been a #2 WR on another team, yes I think he could have. But he chose to ride it out, for less money, for less play time......all to retire a packer and cement himself a place in packer history. I say "NO", GJ does not deserve to be in the packer HOF.

Let me clue you in on something. Most of the guys on our roster, or anyone else's roster for that matter, are not playing for "love of the team." They're playing because that's who is signing their paychecks. I would bet you anything that if the Packers had waited until Rodgers was a FA and some other team offered him more $$$ to play for them, he would most likely be wearing a different jersey the next season. The fact regarding Jennings is that the Packers decided it was not worth it to pay him market value because of our overall depth at WR. So he walked.

The whole notion that players should have the same "love for the team" that fans have is ludicrous. It's a business. Just because a player accepts more money to play for a different team doesn't mean they're "driven by money" either. Suppose you had been working for an employer at a given salary for seven years and suddenly you were offered a position doing the same job for another equally reputable company for a substantial pay raise. If your current employer refused to pay anywhere near that offer, would YOU stay at that company? Or should "love for the team" trump all financial considerations?

BTW, who was offering Driver more money than we were?

M

mayo44

Could Driver have left and went and been a #2 WR on another team, yes I think he could have. But he chose to ride it out, for less money, for less play time......all to retire a packer and cement himself a place in packer history. I say "NO", GJ does not deserve to be in the packer HOF.

So if Driver had gone to another team last year, rather than ride the pine for his final season, it would be screw him too?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Let me clue you in on something. Most of the guys on our roster, or anyone else's roster for that matter, are not playing for "love of the team." They're playing because that's who is signing their paychecks. I would bet you anything that if the Packers had waited until Rodgers was a FA and some other team offered him more $$$ to play for them, he would most likely be wearing a different jersey the next season. The fact regarding Jennings is that the Packers decided it was not worth it to pay him market value because of our overall depth at WR. So he walked.

The whole notion that players should have the same "love for the team" that fans have is ludicrous. It's a business. Just because a player accepts more money to play for a different team doesn't mean they're "driven by money" either. Suppose you had been working for an employer at a given salary for seven years and suddenly you were offered a position doing the same job for another equally reputable company for a substantial pay raise. If your current employer refused to pay anywhere near that offer, would YOU stay at that company? Or should "love for the team" trump all financial considerations?

BTW, who was offering Driver more money than we were?
Your argument MAY be sound enough, but your opening line was a bit patronising "Let me clue you in on something" ??? Osh might not share your opinion on this subject like you and I are on opposite sides of the fence about Favre. As this one stands I ACTUALLY agree with you, but that doesn`t mean an opposite opinion is 100% wrong. Just my two cents worth

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why we like having the Brits on the forum here. They keep us rag-tag colonists cordial :D

He was to driven by money, not love for the packers or love for the game...I say "NO", GJ does not deserve to be in the packer HOF.
For those who may have forgotten about the biggest "traitor" of them all, Reggie White spurned the Eagles to come play for us. His fans and team wanted him to stay but he left for more money and a chance to build a championship team in Green Bay. You know what's also interesting. The Eagles inducted Reggie into their Honor Roll in 2006. Interesting to think that Philly fans might have more class than Packers fans.

Here is part of an article that I found about White and the landmark decision to open up free agency: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/04/s...ggie-white-s-tour-plans-stop-on-jets-pad.html
In Philadelphia, a crowd of nearly 3,500 rallied yesterday, imploring White to stay with the Eagles. "I really haven't got a first choice, or a second choice," White said at the rally. "I'm giving everyone a chance, and I'm not counting the Eagles out."
...and let me just add one more point about the GJ situation and his exit from Green Bay. While I love just about everything about the way TT runs the team, I fully recognize that he's got a terrible bedside manner - maybe equal to Doc Martin's (that's for you Buggy). We've seen quite a few players leave the Packers not feeling "loved" enough, starting with Favre and now Jennings being the latest. TT runs a cold, hard organization that keeps the team competitive and winning each season, but it also tends to generate some animosity.

I'll also lay down a cash bet with anyone that thinks there will be any less than 10 hugs and high-fives between Jennings and other Packer players when the Packers/Vikings play their first game. There is still lots of love and respect among the people that really matter.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That's why we like having the Brits on the forum here. They keep us rag-tag colonists cordial :D

For those who may have forgotten about the biggest "traitor" of them all, Reggie White spurned the Eagles to come play for us. His fans and team wanted him to stay but he left for more money and a chance to build a championship team in Green Bay. You know what's also interesting. The Eagles inducted Reggie into their Honor Roll in 2006. Interesting to think that Philly fans might have more class than Packers fans.

Here is part of an article that I found about White and the landmark decision to open up free agency: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/04/s...ggie-white-s-tour-plans-stop-on-jets-pad.html

...and let me just add one more point about the GJ situation and his exit from Green Bay. While I love just about everything about the way TT runs the team, I fully recognize that he's got a terrible bedside manner - maybe equal to Doc Martin's (that's for you Buggy). We've seen quite a few players leave the Packers not feeling "loved" enough, starting with Favre and now Jennings being the latest. TT runs a cold, hard organization that keeps the team competitive and winning each season, but it also tends to generate some animosity.

I'll also lay down a cash bet with anyone that thinks there will be any less than 10 hugs and high-fives between Jennings and other Packer players when the Packers/Vikings play their first game. There is still lots of love and respect among the people that really matter.
Thanks El G......I think ! :laugh:

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all due respect, please don't compare the warrants of Reggie White with Greg Jennings.
Jennings was a fine receiver, 2nd rd pick who had the privilege of playing with only Hall of Fame QBs for his 7-years as a Packer... he put up nice numbers and had 2 TD's in the Super Bowl win.

But all things (can) be considered, and saying no to us, but yes to our division rival does count in my book.
That's not childish. That's greed. I understand a lot of people are greedy, that's common.
But not everyone takes some more money to leave. I respect loyalty. I realize not everybody does.
Remember, we wanted him, he wanted to leave. He wanted to leave a year ago.
Aaron Kampman, Al Harris, Nick Barnett, Dez Bishop, they wanted to stay. Not so Jennings.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
With all due respect, please don't compare the warrants of Reggie White with Greg Jennings.
Jennings was a fine receiver, 2nd rd pick who had the privilege of playing with only Hall of Fame QBs for his 7-years as a Packer... he put up nice numbers and had 2 TD's in the Super Bowl win.

But all things (can) be considered, and saying no to us, but yes to our division rival does count in my book.
That's not childish. That's greed. I understand a lot of people are greedy, that's common.
But not everyone takes some more money to leave. I respect loyalty. I realize not everybody does.
Remember, we wanted him, he wanted to leave. He wanted to leave a year ago.
Aaron Kampman, Al Harris, Nick Barnett, Dez Bishop, they wanted to stay. Not so Jennings.
Well with all due respect, now Jennings gets to play with another future HOF QB.

I think he will eventually end up in the Packer HOF for his time there.

H

HardRightEdge

There are 250 or so guys in the Packer HOF so it's not a particularly high bar.

Robert Brooks is in. That should make Jennings a near lock.

Both players had 7 seasons with the Pack. Jennings has bested Brooks in every important career statistical category. Brooks had only 2 seasons over 650 yds. with Favre throwing the ball. Jennings had 5 seasons over 900 yds. Both have a ring.

As for Jennings FA departure counting against him, it might be an overlooked fact that Mark Chmura is in the Packer Hall of Fame. The circumstances of a players departure evidently do not factor in.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brooks developed slower, but he finally reached his peak in 1995, and I would put that season above any Jennings had.
Of course, the following year, early in the year, Robert's ACL tore vs San Francisco (same team same place that both Al Harris and Aaron Kampman suffered torn ACLs).
Brooks was never the same, like Javon Walker never was after tearing his week one of the season after he blew up.

Jennings enjoyed good health until his last 2 years.
And 5 years with the GOAT passer Rodgers ain't bad.

Members online