Greenbay vs Steelers fast starts vs slow starts

dawhole9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greenbays last 3 games in the playoffs they gotten off to a fast start in the first half forcing teams to play catch up and it cost those teams dearly. Steelers on the other hand have gotten off to very slow starts and they cannot afford to do that with GB especially with the way their defense AND Offense is playing.

Mike Tomlin and Ben are both overrated

Mike Tomlin is not a great coach. He was lucky to get a SB team built by Bill Cowher. If anything **** Lebeau is the real coach of the Steelers. That Steelers defense won 4 games with 3rd and 4th string Qbs at the start of the season while Ben was out. His defense was scoring tds. His first SB he was horrible check his stats and the Refs screwed Seattle as they later admitted.

If you watched the Steelers play the last few weeks you would know what im talking about. The Ravens gave them that game. The Jets have been inconsistent all season. GB is a very complete team that rarely makes mistakes. It should still be a good SB, but Ben wont get a 3rd ring.

This one is definitely going to GB

Cheesehead Brittany

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think tomlin is pretty good. it would be one thing if he only reached that 1st super bowl but they are back and not by luck either so he isnt that bad. but i hope rodgers and company can bury them quick :)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I completely agree with everything you said.

Tomlin inherited the team that Bill Cowher built. Without the defense, they could have easily lost their first 4 games without Big Ben.

On the other hand, the slow starts not only have taken place in the playoffs, when Pittsburgh played New Orleans and New England, you also seen those slow starts where they couldn't do anything. New England tore them to pieces in the first half, while New Orleans preyed on turnovers to eventually destroy them (since they too, the Saints also had a slow start in that game)

Just looking at Big Ben's stats, he's not as good as the media claims. Sure he's a good quarterback, but he should have better stats than what he has with the teams around him. I don't see Ben completing 50% of his passes in this Super Bowl.

OP
OP
D

dawhole9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree with everything you said.

Tomlin inherited the team that Bill Cowher built. Without the defense, they could have easily lost their first 4 games without Big Ben.

On the other hand, the slow starts not only have taken place in the playoffs, when Pittsburgh played New Orleans and New England, you also seen those slow starts where they couldn't do anything. New England tore them to pieces in the first half, while New Orleans preyed on turnovers to eventually destroy them (since they too, the Saints also had a slow start in that game)

Just looking at Big Ben's stats, he's not as good as the media claims. Sure he's a good quarterback, but he should have better stats than what he has with the teams around him. I don't see Ben completing 50% of his passes in this Super Bowl.
Totally agree.

Gymrat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get this at all. I can't say Tomlin and/or Ben are overrated. One could say that they got put into good situations, but they have certainly made the best of those opportunities.
Tomlin has taken the Steelers to the Super Bowl 2 times since taking over in 2007. Since that time he has added, Woodley, Timmons, Mendenhal, Ziggy hood, Wallace, pouncey, and Sanders to that team. Cowher did build one hell of a team, but Tomlin has done a great job making sure that he replaces pieces as they start to fall out.
As far as Ben goes, I do think that he does get a bit more love than he does because of his Super Bowl rings, but he is still a good QB. To be able to play behind a line he does, avoid a sack, extend a play, and still complete the pass over and over it very impressive. Much like Rodgers has had to do with our O-line. Don't get me wrong, I think Rodgers is a better QB and can hit anything in his cross hairs, but I feel that over the years Ben has done his part. The Steelers offense is much more run based than ours, that would be why Ben usually doesn't put up the amazing numbers that Rodgers does. I guess what I am trying to say is Rodgers wins us games and makes it look amazing, while Ben makes it look sort of ugly and scrappy, but that is just his style of playing.
Now on to the Steeler's four games. The Steelers went 3-1 throughout their first four games. As far as I can see the defense only really had to take over one of the three games they won, and that was against the Titans, where Batch passed for only 25 and Mendenhall only rushed for 69. The games against Atlanta(who made the playoffs) and against Tampa(who were very close to taking our spot in the playoffs) the offense did fairly well. Against Atlanta Dixon passed for 236 while Mendenhall rushed for 120, and against Tampa Batch passed for 186, and Mendenhall rushed for 143. The offense also did decent against the Ravens in the game they lost, but as you can see even though the defense may have been great during the first four weeks, the offense did pretty good too.
Fast start vs slow start... I do agree that we need to come out of the gate on fire to be comfortable in this game. However, we have had out share of slow starts this season. Since the Giants game we have been on fire with the exception of slowing down a little against the Bears both times. (not slowing down in general, just slowing down compared to what we have been doing since the Giants game) The games against the Bears and the game against the Jets it seems like we had trouble getting consistently rolling. The Steeler's did get off to a bit of a slow start against the Ravens, but that is expected with a division rival, however that came out and punched the Jets right in the mouth in the AFC Championship Game.
All in all I would not over look, or underrate the Steelers. I think that they match up against us very well, actually I feel that this is one of the most evenly matched Super Bowls in recent memory. I doubt we will have much success running the ball against them, but I feel that we will see a lot of 4 and 5 wide sets to spread their secondary out. That is sort of a pick your poison sort of deal though, you spread the defense out and unleash the dragon that is Aaron Rodgers on the Steeler's secondary, but have to be very worried about the Steeler's pass rush without the extra blockers. I am excited to see how Capers handles their offense. Blitzing Ben usually chases him out of the pocket, but he is so hard to bring down, and it actually seems like he is more comfortable when not in the pocket. Usually we invite teams to run the ball, and let them get decent YPC, but stop them on 3rd. I am a bit worried about Mendenhall getting rolling on us, but I think Capers will adjust quickly if that happens. All in all I think this is the type of game that is going to be very close. Against this defense I feel that drives ending in touchdowns will be a great success, and field goals will feel almost as good as a touchdown, seeing how hard the Steelers are to score on.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This looks like the kind of dreck the Yahoo! Contributors post. Not a single fact based arguement. Let me refute them 1 by 1.

"Steelers on the other hand have gotten off to very slow starts"...I guess, if you consider jumping out to a 24-0 lead against the Jets in the AFCC game a "slow start".

"Mike Tomlin and Ben are both overrated". Really?

"Tomlin is not a great coach. He was lucky to get a superbowl winning team from Cowher" - Youngest coach to win a SB, could be the youngest to ever win two and one of a very few coaches ever to win multiple SBs. Only 19 players left from Cowher's Superbowl winning team. "Steelers D won the games blah blah..." - A Charlie Batch lead offense put up 30+ against a respectable Bucs team. Lebeau deserves a lot of credit for his schemeing but Tomlin is the one who guided the team through the drama of the offseason and first quarter of the regular season.

"Ben was horrible in the first SB" - He played poorly and was nervous being only in his second season (youngest QB ever to win one, in part for this very reason). Still, he completed a long bomb to Hines to set up a score and ran for another. I won't even bother with the officiating comment as that horse has been beaten to death.

As for being overrated, I'll take Ben and his 10-2 playoff record to all-world Peyton Manning's 9-10 career post season record any day of the week. He won't throw for 5,000 yards and 50 TDs every season but that's not the type of QB he is, In reality, his stats have been trending to 4,000 yards plus for the past few seasons. But passing yards don't win games. Clutch throws do. And Ben almost always makes them (refer to closing minutes of SBXLIII for a prime example).

"Steelers were lucky to win against the Jets/Ravens". If so, what say you about the Packers barely surviving against the Bears' 3rd string QB? It was a close game and had it not been for Raji's pick 6, who knows how that game goes. In any event, you can go through most games and claim the winning team was lucky to win if you take away a play here or there.

I think GB is a great team and it will be a tough match-up. Any fan who thinks it will be a walk in the park for either team is dillusional.

He is a Eagles fan

Maybe little in state smack?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Without the defense, I don't think GB is in the SB. So of course defense has played a key role in the Steelers getting to the SB.

Stats win fantasy football championships. Clutch performances win real championships. However, if you want to talk stats, look at Ben's QB rating and YPA (some of the best ever). He also holds the all-time Steeler records for TDs and passing yards in a season. However, with our defense, even if he completes <50% of his passes, we can still win.

I am pretty sure I was talking about your team, and not mine. Sure enough, stats are everything, and according to stats, Big Ben was OUT PLAYED in both his Super Bowl performances. I would'nt doubt he holds those records, since when Bradshaw played for the team, they had a running game that he relied on, unlike Big Ben, teams in the 70's were passed on power running.

Green Bay is not Baltimore and nor are we the Jets who both pissed around in those games and gave it to the Steelers. Baltimore blows a 14 point lead, as they had been known to do all year in the 2nd half of games (They let the Saints, Texans, and Patriots come back against them when they had them beat). The Jets were inconsistent all year long on their offense, but what about Green Bay? Your defense let Drew Brees and Tom Brady carve it, and Aaron Rodgers is not either of them. If we can win 3 games on the road in some of the worst atmospheres for a visiting team, we can beat your team too.

Gymrat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I was talking about your team, and not mine. Sure enough, stats are everything, and according to stats, Big Ben was OUT PLAYED in both his Super Bowl performances. I would'nt doubt he holds those records, since when Bradshaw played for the team, they had a running game that he relied on, unlike Big Ben, teams in the 70's were passed on power running.

Green Bay is not Baltimore and nor are we the Jets who both pissed around in those games and gave it to the Steelers. Baltimore blows a 14 point lead, as they had been known to do all year in the 2nd half of games (They let the Saints, Texans, and Patriots come back against them when they had them beat). The Jets were inconsistent all year long on their offense, but what about Green Bay? Your defense let Drew Brees and Tom Brady carve it, and Aaron Rodgers is not either of them. If we can win 3 games on the road in some of the worst atmospheres for a visiting team, we can beat your team too.
Just because Warner put up more yards in more attempts than Ben doesn't mean he outplayed him. Ben had a higher completion percentage, higher yards per completion, and threw then same amount of interceptions as Warner did in Super Bowl XLIII. I don't under stand how you are undermining the Steelers saying they almost blew a lead to the Ravens, and the Jets, but you are hypocritical enough to not even mention the Packers lead going into the half against the Bears. Stop saying that the Steelers defense is the only reason they are where they are, because it goes the same for us. Without out defense there is no Raji interception for a touchdown, no right before the half interception that stopped a touchdown by shields, and no game ending interception that could have been another scoring drive. The Steelers and Packers are very evenly matched. So evenly matched that to criticize one team, usually means that you are actually criticizing your own as well.

pittguy578

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This looks like the kind of dreck the Yahoo! Contributors post. Not a single fact based arguement. Let me refute them 1 by 1.

"Steelers on the other hand have gotten off to very slow starts"...I guess, if you consider jumping out to a 24-0 lead against the Jets in the AFCC game a "slow start".

"Mike Tomlin and Ben are both overrated". Really?

"Tomlin is not a great coach. He was lucky to get a superbowl winning team from Cowher" - Youngest coach to win a SB, could be the youngest to ever win two and one of a very few coaches ever to win multiple SBs. Only 19 players left from Cowher's Superbowl winning team. "Steelers D won the games blah blah..." - A Charlie Batch lead offense put up 30+ against a respectable Bucs team. Lebeau deserves a lot of credit for his schemeing but Tomlin is the one who guided the team through the drama of the offseason and first quarter of the regular season.

"Ben was horrible in the first SB" - He played poorly and was nervous being only in his second season (youngest QB ever to win one, in part for this very reason). Still, he completed a long bomb to Hines to set up a score and ran for another. I won't even bother with the officiating comment as that horse has been beaten to death.

As for being overrated, I'll take Ben and his 10-2 playoff record to all-world Peyton Manning's 9-10 career post season record any day of the week. He won't throw for 5,000 yards and 50 TDs every season but that's not the type of QB he is, In reality, his stats have been trending to 4,000 yards plus for the past few seasons. But passing yards don't win games. Clutch throws do. And Ben almost always makes them (refer to closing minutes of SBXLIII for a prime example).

"Steelers were lucky to win against the Jets/Ravens". If so, what say you about the Packers barely surviving against the Bears' 3rd string QB? It was a close game and had it not been for Raji's pick 6, who knows how that game goes. In any event, you can go through most games and claim the winning team was lucky to win if you take away a play here or there.

I think GB is a great team and it will be a tough match-up. Any fan who thinks it will be a walk in the park for either team is dillusional.

Ben played horrible in his first SuperBowl..I will give him that..
But people forget he went into the playoffs and played like a man possessed. He went into Indianapolis and beat the Colts with his passing..same thing in Denver. He may not have had the best Super Bowl but be played one heck of a season and was the MVP of the playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts