Green to try north of border.

ticat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't know if this was posted ,but being a packer fan ,I thought I would.
The Montreal Alouettes have teamed up with Dr. David Suzuki’s environmental foundation for several years now, but this year’s recycling project could give new meaning to ‘going green’.

Ahman Green insists he can still play. In the NFL. But he’s longing for longer and wider green pastures in 2011 with nothing to lose. Even if some of his former teammates may suggest very little green to gain.

“I still can play. I’m not in denial. I don’t have to prove something to anybody,” said Green. “I think I can be a good back for any team in the NFL or the CFL. I still want to play and the Montreal Alouettes are giving me this chance.”

Green is on the line from his offseason home – where else for the most productive running back in Packers’ history but Green Bay, Wisconsin.

“A teammate of mine, my college recruit at Nebraska Dahrran Diedrick, showed me his championship ring. We were at a Christmas party of a mutual friend (another ex-Packer teammate) and he told me he’d ask his team if they were interested in me,” explained Green. “About a month and a half later I got a call from Marcel Desjardins (the Als’ Assistant GM) and one month later I had a contract.”

“I was actually thinking of coming to Canada a year ago, but I tried the UFL in my hometown. It went alright.”

“Now I gotta get used to the backfield in motion. That’s gonna be fun for me. It’s brand new, but a lot of the routes are the same too. If I go into coaching I can look back at this and say I learned something.”

Diedrick recalls flashing his ’09 bling and interesting Green in his CFL fling. The special teams warrior heading into his sixth season in Montreal will also confess to having a chore he needs Green to take care of.

“We have an impressive ring, you know. That’s how the conversation got started,” explained Diedrick.

“He was my host when I went to Nebraska in 1997, I was 17. He’s one of the reasons I chose Nebraska. He showed me a good time and had a great game. He left that year, then we were both Packers.”

“Ahman is a great guy,” added Diedrick. “He’s one of the hardest working guys. He was a Pro Bowler who trained and worked as hard a rookie who thought he’d be losing his job.”

They became workout partners for a time.

“He used to be big into the spinning,” said Diedrick. “I wasn’t into that so much.”

At a recent CFL mini-camp, Diedrick could help Green with translation, not French to English, but NFL instinct to CFL playbook and the voluminous Trestman playbook.

“It’s something I’m used to,” says Green. “I’ve played for Coach (Mike) Holmgren, Mike Sherman, Mike McCarthy, Gary Kubiak and they’re all speaking the same language. I just have to associate different words with different plays that are re-worded to hide it all from other teams and other players.”

“It doesn’t strike me as crazy at all that he’s coming north,” insists Diedrick. “I know he’s gonna come put his best into it, put his all into it.”

“He definitely doesn’t need the money,” adds Diedrick. “He just wants to play. I’m sure he’s gonna be thankful. Great coach, great team. Great opportunity.”

“I just hope he’s gonna be even more impressed by the next ring. I can’t wait to get it.”

The Als will receive their new rings June 3 before heading to training camp, sequestered on campus at Bishop’s University, far from any Montreal distractions.

“We’ve been winning and hopefully he’ll just be part of a great team,” concludes Diedrick. “Losing Avon (Cobourne) was a great blow for us.”

And whether Ahman Green makes it in the CFL or not, Diedrick won’t be shy about completing a pass of his own to the former All-Pro.

“I want him to sign a rookie card of mine from Upper Deck. It’s a great shot of Ahman and me. I got tons of stuff signed by AC – pictures, balls, team photos. When you win championships, you want the memories.”

CFL.ca - Official Site of the Canadian Football League

Related Links

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I always loved watching Ahman run the ball. His was the very first jersey I owned and I have a signed card of his. I hope he does well but it's too bad he has to play in the BUSH LEAGUE CFL. the only good thing about this is he will play in Regina and I could get his autograph on my Ahman Mcfarlane toy.

OP
OP
T

ticat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i get this feeling that this user is a spammer/self promoter
Not at all, just a ticatfan in the CFL that is also a packer fan, and also a canadian that does not need to call down our own league thinking I will be received better in a NFL forum. I just happen to like both leagues.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
The league is BUSH no matter if I'm on this NFL forum or in my own backyard. I know quality when I see it and CFL is not quality it's down right embarrassing. This is not a personal attack just my opinion.

OP
OP
T

ticat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The league is BUSH no matter if I'm on this NFL forum or in my own backyard. I know quality when I see it and CFL is not quality it's down right embarrassing. This is not a personal attack just my opinion.
This will be my last post, unfortunitly there is always a canadian on every NFL board that has to jump in and call down the CFL with all it's traditions , just to look good for his american friends, and that is what is embarressing on these forums, it is to bad that you just could not keep your mouth shut and take it for what it is a story about a great packer trying it up here. Sorry boys and girls for ruining your day. Hope the packers can do it again.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
This will be my last post, unfortunitly there is always a canadian on every NFL board that has to jump in and call down the CFL with all it's traditions , just to look good for his american friends, and that is what is embarressing on these forums, it is to bad that you just could not keep your mouth shut and take it for what it is a story about a great packer trying it up here. Sorry boys and girls for ruining your day. Hope the packers can do it again.

You gonna let one opinionated guy push you out?

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score

Well you wont get far in life with that attitude.

OP
OP
T

ticat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not going to post so a spat does not break out, I have seen it happen many times on boards where a certain poster has to bad mouth the CFL and call it bush league, because they do not understand the difference in the leagues and to think once the NFL rosters are full ,that there is no one left who can play football. And chipper I am very successful in life, but thank for caring. :)

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I am not going to post so a spat does not break out, I have seen it happen many times on boards where a certain poster has to bad mouth the CFL and call it bush league, because they do not understand the difference in the leagues and to think once the NFL rosters are full ,that there is no one left who can play football. And chipper I am very successful in life, but thank for caring. :)

Just ignore him. I appreciated your post here, myself.

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live only about 2 hours from Regina, SK. Trust me... Munch is in the minority (bordering on extreme minority) in our province and in the city of Regina. People here LOVE their CFL football, with most preferring it to NFL by a large margin.

That being said, I love watching both leagues. There is enough difference between the two that they both remain interesting and unique to me. The CFL is anything but a "bush" league. The quality of football is very good with (at least in this area) more of a "*****" feeling to it. There are a lot of similarities between the Riders and Packers and their respective fan bases.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Well, that was a quick career with Montreal. Green reported in with an injured hamstring, and they cut him.

Reaction score
In what might be another sign of a fading career, former Green Bay Packers star running back Ahman was released today by the Montreal Alouettes.

He was signed as a potential starter, but reported with a hamstring injury at training camp.
Green last played for the Omaha Nighthawks in the UFL, but gained only 253 yards in eight games.
With the Packers, he rushed for 8,208 yards to become their all-time leading rusher.
In a dozen NFL seasons, Green has rushed for 9,205 yards and 60 touchdowns.
The former Nebraska star had a very good career, but it might be coming to a close.

L

Lunchboxer

Well if he cant find a team hes always Welcome back in Green bay. We could alway use a Veteran Guy as for depth and for the young people to get some good hands on experience.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
The Bush League CFL

1. CFL Draft- in the first round this year in the draft a guy who learned to play football from YouTube and a punter were drafted

2. The Saskatchewan Roughriders are the only team holding the league together as they sell 7 million dollars worth of merchandise more than the other teams combined.

3. The Roughriders have only won 3 championships in 100 years.

4. 6 out of 8 teams make the playoffs. They play 18 games and the Roughriders have made the playoffs with only winning 3 of those games.

5. They expanded to the US and in their second year in the league Baltimore won the championship and then all US teams folded the next year.

6. Out of 9 teams two were named the same. Roughriders

7. The Sask Roughriders GM said that " the only reason we have so many fans is that there is nothing to do in Saskatchewan"

8. Teams will purposely give up a safety to punt the ball away usually giving up 9 points instead of 7. You get 1 point for missing a field goal even though it's your job to make field goals.

9. There is no drug testing so when they check out of my hotel we get to keep the pounds of weed they leave behind.

Reaction score
Well if he cant find a team hes always Welcome back in Green bay. We could alway use a Veteran Guy as for depth and for the young people to get some good hands on experience.

There will be a A. Green on the Packers next year, but I don't think there is any chance of it being Ahman Green. The Packers have all the depth at RB they need now. With Grant, Starks and Alex Green I think they are in pretty good shape.

OP
OP
T

ticat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1- I imagine weird things like that happens in the NFL, but you forgot the dead guy ottawa drafted.
2-Rider nation, nothing like it in any other league.
3- How many NFL teams can boast being 100 years old or 141 like my cats.
4-We are 10 times smaller that america, but with ottawa coming, and support flowing out east for a team and of course quebec city in quebec where the fastest growing sport is football, things are looking good.
5- Expansion was poorly done.
6-Sorry one was roughriders the other was rough riders. Only in the CFL gotta love the quirkyness that comes with the league.
7-What else is there to do in sask.
8-You get 1 point when the other team fails to get the ball out of the end zone, we call the game football for a reason, kicking is alive and well in the CFL.
9-I think it might start this year.
So what is your point, we have a different game with a great tradition and even a greater history, a game that most canadians watch (fastest growing sport on TV) and it is the only canadian thing left in the country and it brings the country together. And what is the most watched sporting event in canada, not the stanley cup but the grey cup. And one thing on talent, the very best play where the money is, the CFL has top athletic people from the best schools in N.A ,but size is a huge factor in what league you will play in, alot of excellent players who can play the game just as good as anyone ,but are 2 inches to short for the NFL. I could make a list of the down falls of the NFL, but why, nothing is perfect and I am a football fan. But if I were to say anything negative about the NFL it could say ''fair catch''

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
And I thought you were just gonna take your ball and go home. This is what I like a debate with facts and real arguments not whining and complaining. You also thought I knew nothing of the CFL well when you live in the land of Football Failure you pick up a thing or two.
The Roughriders fans are fickle, I remember for most of the years of their existence fans were lining their bid cages with the free tickets the team gave away. How many times has Ottawa had a team and they folded? They have been trying to expand to the East for over 20years now and nothing. CFL all stars cannot crack the practice roster in the NFL. (Baggs, Burris and Chick). Didn't Lumsden retire to toboggan? I've seem CFLers practice and work out, they are not in the CFL because they are undersized they are there because they are lazy, pot smoking, low talent hacks. For the few, very few, who have cracked the NFL talent pool good on you for showing great determination in leaving the BUSH LEAGUE behind. Even the crimes the NFLers commit are better. From drug trafficin, murder and even shooting yourself. The CFLers have purse snaching and banging girls and not telling them you have HIV.

OP
OP
T

ticat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL You call that debating? That is nothing but talking points a punk that still lives in his parents basement would use. I guess you never read what I posted , very few, (but more every year) make it because of the size factor and not potsmoking or lazy but top NCAA talent. I hope you do not think that NFL GM's are perfect and never miss on anyone,( see buffalo) many slip thru the cracks, many get here and decide to stay instead of going back for another try out because they have found a home and make some money (which is not everything to some) and not have to deal with the meat market of the NFL, The CFL has the time to spend on a player where in many cases the NFL does not and that player can then become a great CFL'er. Ben Cahoon who just retired from montreal had hands on him as good as any player anywhere, but as he said , I am a slow small white guy, he would never make a roster in the NFL. Some of those large NFL linemen would probably die on a CFL field. Payton manning style of play could get him killed also. I know I should not get pulled into this ,because you sound very young and immature and will not listen to what your elders try and tell you, so maybe the mods should lock this before it gets out of hand.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
Cool your jets. Nobody plays in the CFL by choice only by failure every player in the CFL would trade their first born for one chance to sit on the bench in the NFL. Money is not a factor then how about respect. Listen to the words of your own players " too slow" not I'm just as good as those guys. This is the stuff CFL fans pipe dreams are made up of. Zero defense in the league, endzone that are a square mile it's no wonder the final score is 55 to 54. I was always told "size ain't ****" and if you make up an excuse not to be at the top of your game, or the fans make it for you, you should be mighty ashamed of yourself.
For the record unlike most of the CFLers out there that I make more than I own my house thanks.

PS. Can't wait to see Fantuz go across the middle with all his CFL talent and have AJ Hawk send him home for good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts