green signs a one year deal

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a non-Packer opinion now that some more details are known. It comes from The Daily Rumor Mill.

GREEN DEAL GOOD FOR PACK, BAD FOR PLAYER

The more we think about the one-year deal signed on Sunday by Packers running back Ahman Green, the more perplexed we are by the move.

The base salary is only $1.8 million, we're told. And he can earn up to $3.2 million more in incentives. According to The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, there was a "modest" signing bonus.

For the Packers, it's a no-lose deal. If Green can't recover from a serious quadriceps injury, then they can cut the cord, eating only the "modest" signing bonus. If he does recover, the most they have to pay for a guy who could then still go out and put up a solid season is $5 million, assuming he hits all of his incentives.

The fact that Green still faces a potential suspension for 2005 domestic violence charges also might have played into the team's thinking.

For Green, why not wait to see whether the CBA gets extended before doing the deal? Although other teams might not have been willing right now to do what the Packers did, they might have been more inclined to do something in the future, especially if $10 million in extra cap room suddenly arrives via a new CBA. As it stands, Green has no guarantees of any kind.

The decision to sign him now also might have been aimed at nudging Lord Favre toward a decision on his own future. Now that Favre knows Green is under contract for 2006, there's one less unknown for Him as He decides whether to grace us all with a return for at least one more 20-pick season. And if Favre decides to pack it in, maybe Green gets released before his salary becomes fully guaranteed as of the team's regular-season opener.

Either way, the Packers got the better end of this one, by far

An independent opinion that I think is incorrect on the violence part of the evaluation. I disagree with the evaluation that Green didn't get a good deal. No other team would give him a contract with these numbers.

Green if he has a good year will have the opportunity to sign a better deal next year. I think Green got the best deal he could. A deal that is better than expected. With performance a deal paying him in line with his previous contract.

Backing up Gado or splitting time with Gado the backfield is better than with Davenport. I think Herron once into the system and knowledge of the offense will suprise people with his ability.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it seems like a good deal for a guy who maybe isn't going to play too much, I think it will take a lot to cut him, they will wait and see and wait and see for him to break through again and whooops the season is gone and he made $ 1,8 million. I don't know about you, but 1,8 million dollars is much money.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers | More about A. Green contract
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 19:30:58 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers RB Ahman Green's new, one-year contract included a signing bonus of $500,000 and a 150,000 roster bonus.

If Green does not recover fully from a torn right thigh tendon or doesn't perform well enough to make the team, the Packers won't owe him anything else.

The contract also features $2.75 million of incentives. Green gets $250,000 if he rushes for 750 yards, another $500,000 if he reaches 950 yards, another $500,000 for 1,150 yards, another $500,000 for 1,350 yards and another $500,000 for 1,550 yards. In addition, he can earn $31,250 for every game he is on the roster.

Green can earn another $5,700 by taking part in the team's off-season workout program.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The contract imo is fair for both sides.
Green wouldn't have accepted it that fast, if he would think he'd get a better one anywhere else.
I think it also shows his loyalty to the Pack and also the payback for this loyalty. TT would not have taken the (admitted it's small) risk, if Green wouldn't have given all of him to the Pack in previous years.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The incentives is a great idea I love incentives make players earn the money that should also provide good motive for him

Members online

Latest posts