Green Bay Packers Free Agents thread

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Phew, I was starting to think my brother was a jinx with his jersey purchases over the last few years (first one he ever bought with his own money was a Darren Sharper jersey, Ahman Green a year before he was traded, then AJ Hawk. Broke the "curse" just in time for his new Aaron Rodgers jersey :p)

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome! All of our stars are under contract, at least on defense. Raji and Clay will get raises in a few years, Woodson will probably retire on his contract or get a one or two year ext, Collins is locked up, Pickett is locked up, and so is Bishop. Keep putting young talent on this defense and it will be an even bigger force to be reckoned with for years to come. Next: sign Dom Capers to a lifetime contract!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel so good about this!!! Congrats to the Hawk Master! :) I really think that keeping these players is a good thing, we are building a dynasty. We will have a team that will last in greatness for years. I like the sound of that!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
(Sorry if any of this was previously posted.) I too was wondering why they had to release Hawk instead of just extending/renegotiating his contract. This jsonline story says, “Releasing Hawk appeared to be a maneuver that gave both sides more flexibility in crafting a new contract. If they had renegotiated Hawk's $10 million base salary, they would have been limited in the ways they could structure it.”

Doing so did enable Hawk to negotiate with all of the other teams but Thompson and the Packers were obviously confident Hawk wanted to stay in Green Bay. BTW I wonder how many Super Bowl wins it will take before Packers fans give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has a reason for everything he’s doing. Not that he won’t make mistakes, but c’mon Packers fans he just led the organization to a championship and has set it up to win more.

IMO now the interesting question is what happens at ILB next? From the jsonline blog, “Hawk's signing does not bode well for former starter Nick Barnett, who is coming off season-ending wrist surgery and is due $6 million in base salary and bonuses. His salary cap number for 2011 is a hefty $6.9 million.

When Hawk's deal is done, the Packers' inside linebacker foursome of Barnett, Hawk, Bishop and Brandon Chillar will total something like $14 million in salary in 2011. That's a lot for one position.”

The blog goes on to say depending upon the new cap they may keep all four. Even if they can do so I will be surprised if they do. I hope Barnett brings some value in a trade but it probably won’t be “full value” because other teams will know the Packers’ situation and may wait to see if he is just released.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kinda suck as barnett is in a wait and see. They might hold onto him a ways through training camp.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Glad to have him back. Ivo is probably pissed. heh He totally understands the D and played great. Lets hope that continues.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Way to go, Ted! Got Hawk locked up for a reasonable price. AJ turned out to be an outstanding quarterback for the defense and his play-calling was critical to our success down the stretch. I'm DAMN glad he's back!
:happy0005:

Eis Bowl

Touchdown Artist
Reaction score
Great news. It didn't look like there was any doubt that he would but it's nice to see it done for sure.

Plus my wife wanted to get his jersey soon. The Al Harris one last year didn't work out so well.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to have him back. Ivo is probably pissed. heh He totally understands the D and played great. Lets hope that continues.

mixed feelings. I feel like Barnett is the better player but isnt healthy as often as you would like. I worry that AJ will go back to a below avg LBer now that he has his contract. I feel like TT could have found someone better in the draft but it might be better to keep things the status quo instead of a player trying to learn the system.

I am excited to see the contract detail though as I would like to know if its a team friendly deal.

I guess Hawks modeling career will have to wait for awhile.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that Hawk will be a below average LB. First, he is the center and the leader of the defense. Second, with Clay, BJ, and Woodson getting all the opposing offense's attention, Hawk can be more free to stop the run. I love this move. Now all we need is another starting OLB on defense and we are pretty set.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe AJ Hawk didn't test a favorable market, literally shocked. I was surprised at the dollar amount Teddy put out there for him, I really thought he'd low-ball him and Hawk would pack his bags. I'm glad he's back, he fits his role, he doesn't complain or cause problems, and he's pretty productive against the run.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that Hawk will be a below average LB. First, he is the center and the leader of the defense.

No, Woodson is the leader of the defense. I bet Hawk will tell you that.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMj0t7sds7I]YouTube - hey you guys[/ame]

Reaction score
This probably means that Barnett is a goner and perhaps they can get something of value if they choose to trade Chillar. I really would like a decent KR/PR. Whatever happened to Blackmon?

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
This probably means that Barnett is a goner and perhaps they can get something of value if they choose to trade Chillar. I really would like a decent KR/PR. Whatever happened to Blackmon?

I think he went to the Giants and then proceeded to be terrible.

Been there done that with Blackmon. I want someone new.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Trust in Ted, have faith.

he's making the right moves.
In the love of all that is holy, I simply CANNOT BELIEVE this even needs to be said. I know people have short memories but for God's sake... His team won the Super Bowl not even a MONTH ago - and people are STILL acting like they know better than Ted. Funny stuff...

What will this man need to do to win over some of these people??? Sheeeeeesh

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts