Greatest Packer EVER?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you include coaches? If so then Vince Lombardi no doubt for me. 5 Titles in one decade. I don't think it can ever be matched.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zerozcool posted the Packers first super star player name in this topic. End (now known as a wide receiver in NFL) Don Hutson- 1935-1945. Zero you are indeed a knowledgeable Packer fan. For years Don Hutson held just about all the NFL receiving records and the Packers only played 11 regular season games in those days. However those records have been broken by the great modern receivers like Jerry Rice etc but in the 16 game NFL season. The modern NFL game which features much more passing than when Hutson played.

Hutson is considered by many older Packer fans as the savior of the Packer franchise. When he played in NFL games, he put extra "Fannys into the seats" in most NFL Stadiums around around NFL. Many
NFL fans came out because they wanted to see him

This was very important during the period of 1935-1945 when Hutson played because
Packer franchise need every dollar they could get from gate receipts of every game they played. Tickets revenue was about the only revenue the Packers had in those days. Today the Packers have many sources of income.

In 1963 , Don Hutson was in the first class of inductees in tto NFL Hall of Fame in Canton OH. The Packers won 3 NFL Championships ( 1936,1939, and 1944) while Hutson played for the Packers . The Packers lost 1938 NFL Championship game against the NY Giants.

In 1942, Don Hutson was the first NFL receiver to surpass the 1,000 yard receiving mark in NFL. Hutson had 72 pass receptions- 1,211 yards- 16.2 yards per reception and 17 TDs.

Previously to Hutson coming to the Packers in 1935, the top Packer pass receiver Packers would have just over 200 yards and around 17 catches with perhaps 3 TDs. in a whole season. Hutson was 6'1''- 176 lbs. From Alabama University and was fastest and most athletic pass receiver of his day in the NFL.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zerozcool posted the Packers first super star player name in this topic. End (now known as a wide receiver in NFL) Don Hutson- 1935-1945. Zero you are indeed a knowledgeable Packer fan. For years Don Hutson held just about all the NFL receiving records and the Packers only played 11 regular season games in those days. However those records have been broken by the great modern receivers like Jerry Rice etc but in the 16 game NFL season. The modern NFL game which features much more passing than when Hutson played.

Hutson is considered by many older Packer fans as the savior of the Packer franchise. When he played in NFL games, he put extra "Fannys into the seats" in most NFL Stadiums around around NFL. Many
NFL fans came out because they wanted to see him

This was very important during the period of 1935-1945 when Hutson played because
Packer franchise need every dollar they could get from gate receipts of every game they played. Tickets revenue was about the only revenue the Packers had in those days. Today the Packers have many sources of income.

In 1963 , Don Hutson was in the first class of inductees in tto NFL Hall of Fame in Canton OH. The Packers won 3 NFL Championships ( 1936,1939, and 1944) while Hutson played for the Packers . The Packers lost 1938 NFL Championship game against the NY Giants.

In 1942, Don Hutson was the first NFL receiver to surpass the 1,000 yard receiving mark in NFL. Hutson had 72 pass receptions- 1,211 yards- 16.2 yards per reception and 17 TDs.

Previously to Hutson coming to the Packers in 1935, the top Packer pass receiver Packers would have just over 200 yards and around 17 catches with perhaps 3 TDs. in a whole season. Hutson was 6'1''- 176 lbs. From Alabama University and was fastest and most athletic pass receiver of his day in the NFL.

Hutson was TRULY the greatest receiver to ever play the game... I had this argument with others...

Hutson changed the game sort of like Wilt Chamberlain did for basketball.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I love Favre, Bart Starr had so much class and always will be Mr. Packer.

I agree! Starr takes time for his fans, and will sign autographs for them Favre hasn't done that for years now. I do understand that he only has so much time, but it wouldn't hurt for him to come over to the fence and sign a few after practice every day.
Another thing that Starr had to face besides just having to call his own plays, is the fact that back then defenses came after the QB and put hits on them that today would get them kicked out of the game, suspended and fined. Back then, the QB had to just get back up and call the next play. You just about had to decapitate them to get a penalty.
But i DO love Favre and his ability and toughness!
I'll tell you, it's a tough call between these two men for me.
And.......Ray Nitshke is probably my all time favorite player. He was as gentle OFF the field as he was mean ON it! He took the time to sit with me, talk about the first Super Bowl, and he even let my try on his Super Bowl ONE ring!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry the Best Ever - Either Brett Favre or Don Hutson. Maybe Herb Adderley

All Time Favs at Positions...

QB- Favre
RB - Bennett
FB - Big Will not doubt
WR - John Jefferson ... Even though he was here a short time.
TE Paul Coffman and I have to Add one ED WEST
T - Give Me Tauscher
G - Marco Rivera
C - Frankie Bag of Dognuts or James Campen
DE - Reggie White and Ezra Johnson
DT - No Doubt - Big Gilbert Brown
ILB - Johnny Holland
OLB - Mike 'Mad Dog' Douglass
CB - Tim Lewis
S - (2) LeRoy Butler and Mister Clean Mark Murphy

James Lofton's better than Jefferson, and they overlapped here.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

QB- Favre
RB - Bennett
FB - Big Will not doubt
T - Give Me Tauscher
G - Marco Rivera
ILB - Johnny Holland
CB - Tim Lewis

Lofton was for SURE more talented then Jefferson. But i LOVED watching Jefferson play! The guy would get nailed by a D player, and would just lay there for several seconds. The crowd would go silent, then, "JJ" would just JUMP UP, and the crowd would go wild!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consider the era I would say hands down-
Don Hutson.

Nobody in his era was even close to him.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would narrow the list to NFL HOF members, and current or past players who may reach that status:

Don Hutson, Arnie Hebner, Cal Hubbard, Clarke Hinkle, Johnny(Blood) McNally, Mike Michalske, Tony Canadeo, Jim Taylor, Forrest Gregg, Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderly, Willie Davis, Jim Ringo, Paul Hornung, Willie Wood, Henry Jordan, James Lofton, Reggie White.
Potential:
LeRoy Butler, Brett Favre.

That said, here are my top 5 since I find it impossible to select the absolute best:
Don Hutson, Johnny (Blood) McNally, Ray Nitschke, Paul Hornung, Brett Favre......and if a gun were put to my head I guess I wouuld go with Hutson.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to agree with others;

Greatest Packers player ever- Don Hutson

Greatest Packers Coach- Vince Lombardi

Greatest Packers player I ever saw play and the person most responsible for their success over the last 2 decades- Reggie White

Interestingly enough, I asked Gilbert Brown one time who the best player he ever played with or against was. With no hesitation whatsoever, he replied "Without a doubt, Reggie White".

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

QB- Favre
RB - Bennett
FB - Big Will not doubt
T - Give Me Tauscher
G - Marco Rivera
ILB - Johnny Holland
CB - Tim Lewis

I agree, Lofton was a better receiver than JJ but that list is just my favorites. JJ for a little guys was a tough SOB. But the best ever would be Hutson.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don Hutson was so far above the competition that no other player can be considered. He revolutionized the passing game and most of his records lasted until the 80's. It took until the 80's for a guy to have as many touchdowns. Jerry Rice broke most of Don's receiving numbers.

Don played when there was no pass interference penalty, 11 game seasons, and still had thousand yard receiving seasons.

Don Hutson still holds the record of averaging .85 TD receptions/game and scoring 29 points in one quarter.

When he retired, Hutson had caught 488 passes. The second-place receiver at the time had just 190 receptions.

The 2 time MVP dominated the league.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definately think Brett Favre, then I would have to say Reggie White. Reggie always seemed to get the players rallied together and not to mention he was a great player to...

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don Hutson was so far above the competition that no other player can be considered. He revolutionized the passing game and most of his records lasted until the 80's. It took until the 80's for a guy to have as many touchdowns. Jerry Rice broke most of Don's receiving numbers.

Don played when there was no pass interference penalty, 11 game seasons, and still had thousand yard receiving seasons.

Don Hutson still holds the record of averaging .85 TD receptions/game and scoring 29 points in one quarter.

When he retired, Hutson had caught 488 passes. The second-place receiver at the time had just 190 receptions.

He also played full time defense and kicked field goals and extra points. :packbeer:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

He also played full time defense and kicked field goals and extra points. :packbeer:
I often wonder how the old time players would do against the new guys, and vice versa. It was a different time, for sure. Even going back to the 1960's, the players were SO much smaller then their counter parts today.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: It's rather obvious that the younger members of this forum believe that Brett is the best and from their narrow view I guess that could be true. But they never witnessed the real game as it was played before the NFL came to the power it is today along with TV and all the modern hype. They would not recognize the game at its origins and already are unaware that the originators of the game played for love and no money. They all had to get real jobs to support themselves. It is my opinion and mine alone that there is no way one can compare todays players with those that played the game prior to let's say the advent of the rules protecting the QB and when QB's called their own plays on the field in the heat of battle; the modern player would be completely overwhelmed. Especially if they played under the old rules and with the old football. Hell! Half the receivers today would be unable to catch one of those fat balls and most of today's QBs couldn't heave it either and I include Favre in that category.. Quit trying to compare dilletants with football players.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

I often wonder how the old time players would do against the new guys, and vice versa. It was a different time, for sure. Even going back to the 1960's, the players were SO much smaller then their counter parts today.

But Cheesey, they would have had access to the same training and such. Jerry Kramer, for example was what, 235 lbs? He was pretty damn fit. What if Jim Brown would have added 20 more lbs of muscle? Football is as much a mentality as anything.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
PackerTraxx said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

But Cheesey, they would have had access to the same training and such. Jerry Kramer, for example was what, 235 lbs? He was pretty damn fit. What if Jim Brown would have added 20 more lbs of muscle? Football is as much a mentality as anything.

Kramer played at 245 and Thurston at 235, they were considered "big" linemen as was the entire GB line. Hornung and Taylor were considered "big" backs at 215. Jim Brown was a "freak" at 230. There were a lot of 220-230 lbs. linemen and 170-190 lbs. backs. As Chibiabos said it was a different game in a different era. In Hutson's time there was no interference and he played both ways the entire game. In the 60's and 70's you could knock a receiver down as long as the ball was not in the air. Now you can't "bump" him after 5 yds. The offensive line couldn't use their hands to block, the QB wasn't protected, etc. It was a much different game, a tougher more defensive minded game. That's why offensive records are easier to break today.

At some positions yesterday's players are more likely to be able to play. Some player of yesterday could play today regardless. Today's player are bigger, faster and better overall. But I like to enjoy players for what they accomplished in their era with the rules of the day and the way the game was played at that time.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hammer said:
cheesey said:
PackerTraxx said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

Kramer played at 245 and Thurston at 235, they were considered "big" linemen as was the entire GB line. Hornung and Taylor were considered "big" backs at 215. Jim Brown was a "freak" at 230. There were a lot of 220-230 lbs. linemen and 170-190 lbs. backs. As Chibiabos said it was a different game in a different era. In Hutson's time there was no interference and he played both ways the entire game. In the 60's and 70's you could knock a receiver down as long as the ball was not in the air. Now you can't "bump" him after 5 yds. The offensive line couldn't use their hands to block, the QB wasn't protected, etc. It was a much different game, a tougher more defensive minded game. That's why offensive records are easier to break today.

At some positions yesterday's players are more likely to be able to play. Some player of yesterday could play today regardless. Today's player are bigger, faster and better overall. But I like to enjoy players for what they accomplished in their era with the rules of the day and the way the game was played at that time.
All of these comments are why it's hard for me to compare people from different times to each other. They were the BEST for their time, but who knows HOW they would have done in a different time. If you took old time guys, and they even HAD the weights and stuff they have now, who KNOWS if they would still be great. Or throw one of today's "prima-donnas" into the OLD NFL, where they might get clotheslined "legally" on any given play, or a linebacker might just light them up for fun, and maybe they would be too afraid to play.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always was kind of fond of Lofton myself. Sat next to him as a kid in a Godfathers Pizza joint. He was always the guy you wanted to "be" when hitting the back yard on the weekend.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always was kind of fond of Lofton myself. Sat next to him as a kid in a Godfathers Pizza joint. He was always the guy you wanted to "be" when hitting the back yard on the weekend.

Maybe a good topic would be most underappreciated Packer. Lofton would win hands down. He did so much for the team in our bad years, and was definitely the best receiver of his time.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: Perhaps the NFL in its generous mood might begin by playing re-plays of the old games available during their intolerable time-outs of the modern game or have the new draftees crawl on their hands and knees at the draft while reciting the names of teams, players and coaches that made the game of football. Then the NFL could insist that at least one million dollars of any contract signed be relegated to assist some of the players still living with their medical costs. Doubt if many of the posters here ever saw the games played by Y.A Tittle, Otto Graham, or Unitas with the blood streaming down their faces. Nor are they aware that there were no southern teams, air-conditioned stadiums or ultra flat groomed surfaces and all games were played on uneven fields in whatever weather happened that day. Wonder how the modern day receivers would fare were they to step into a ground hog hole on their way down field. How many posters here have witnessed a running back tackled, getting up and running while being tackled again and again until only the wieght of tacklers finally pinned him to the ground. The modern game is so far removed from the old that it has lost the fervor of the players that played for the game and not the money.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
I would have to say Favre...but how do you compare Favre with Starr? Arn't there too many differences in the game?

That's easy Bart called the plays on the field not from his headset!
Bart didn't get the type of protections avaiable to today's QBs. As good as Brett my be I doubt he would have lasted as long as he has back in the Unitas/Bart Starr era.

You may be right to a certain point. But there are injuries that guys get not only on the field but just in every day life, or just freak things happening. Sammy Sosa sneazed a couple years ago, pulled something in his back, Ken Griffy Jr. just this last summer, broke his hand playin with his kids. Favre has never had anything like this that has kept him out of games.