Greatest Packer EVER?

Reaction score
Who do you think is the greatest player, at any position, to don the Green n Gold?

- Brett Favre?
- Bart Starr?
- Ray Nitschke
- Reggie White?
- Other?

Don't forget to include a few lines stating why you chose the player you did!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Who do you think is the greatest player, at any position, to don the Green n Gold?

- Brett Favre?
- Bart Starr?
- Ray Nitschke
- Reggie White?
- Other?

No question Brett Favre is the best packer ever........

However of the people on that list only Reggie White (without an arguement) was the best to ever play his position. I personally feel Brett is the all time greatest QB, but to many people would debate it.....No one can debate Reggie.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
has to be favre

any1 that plays thought the pain and personal problems in life and plays as well as farve gets my vote as greatest ever packer

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 Favre

2 Reggie White

3 Gilbert Brown

These are just my favorites, not that they are the best ever

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is always tough when you compare players of different eras....I'd go like this though:

1. Favre - most durable QB ever to play the game; made average offensive weapons very productive throughout his entire career

2. White - most dominant defensive player in football history

3. Nitschke - meanest LB on the field (that includes Butkus)

4. Starr - a winner, plain and simple

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is always tough when you compare players of different eras....I'd go like this though:

1. Favre - most durable QB ever to play the game; made average offensive weapons very productive throughout his entire career

2. White - most dominant defensive player in football history

3. Nitschke - meanest LB on the field (that includes Butkus)

4. Starr - a winner, plain and simple

I think White is a close second but he played half his career with Phila where as Favre "basically' played his entire career with GB

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Sorry the Best Ever - Either Brett Favre or Don Hutson. Maybe Herb Adderley

All Time Favs at Positions...

QB- Favre
RB - Bennett
FB - Big Will not doubt
WR - John Jefferson ... Even though he was here a short time.
TE Paul Coffman and I have to Add one ED WEST
T - Give Me Tauscher
G - Marco Rivera
C - Frankie Bag of Dognuts or James Campen
DE - Reggie White and Ezra Johnson
DT - No Doubt - Big Gilbert Brown
ILB - Johnny Holland
OLB - Mike 'Mad Dog' Douglass
CB - Tim Lewis
S - (2) LeRoy Butler and Mister Clean Mark Murphy

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

- Brett Favre?
- Bart Starr?
- Ray Nitschke
- Reggie White?
- Other?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As much as I loved Reggie, he was not a Packer long enough to be considered the greatest. RIP our brother.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHo is the running back that had his jersey retired? I think he played with bart starr.....I could be totally off base here but wasnt there a really good RB we had way back in the day.....

I also believe that had he not gotten injured Sterling Shape would be in this conversation......For the short time he was in the league he matched Jerry Rice (the greatest WR in NFL history) numbers for numbers.....He had it all Speed, Strength, and the ability to go up and catch the ball....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry the Best Ever - Either Brett Favre or Don Hutson. Maybe Herb Adderley

All Time Favs at Positions...

QB- Favre
RB - Bennett
FB - Big Will not doubt
WR - John Jefferson ... Even though he was here a short time.
TE Paul Coffman and I have to Add one ED WEST
T - Give Me Tauscher
G - Marco Rivera
C - Frankie Bag of Dognuts or James Campen
DE - Reggie White and Ezra Johnson
DT - No Doubt - Big Gilbert Brown
ILB - Johnny Holland
OLB - Mike 'Mad Dog' Douglass
CB - Tim Lewis
S - (2) LeRoy Butler and Mister Clean Mark Murphy

John Jefferson..Interesting, I would have gone with Sterling..He was the best Wr at the time and IMO would have broken some major records..

ILB Brian Noble...Just semed to have a Kampman type motor and again could have been something real special if not injured..

and of course how in the hell people forgot this

LT

Tony Mandrich LOL.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Don Hutson.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
John Jefferson..Interesting, I would have gone with Sterling..He was the best Wr at the time and IMO would have broken some major records..

ILB Brian Noble...Just semed to have a Kampman type motor and again could have been something real special if not injured..

That list was my favs, Jefferson was on the tail end of his career at the end. When I was a kid I got to go to a game and got his autograph and Lofton's, JJ took extra time and sat an talked with us for a while. It was cool as a maybe 10 year old kid. Another guy that took some time was Ezra, so hence them being on the list, not to mention they could play. :thumbsup:

Sterling was great on the field an horses butt off it. Noble was another favorite, but I really liked the fight in Johnny:) The teams back in the 80's didn't win alot of games, but they had some memorable Packers.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHo is the running back that had his jersey retired? I think he played with bart starr.....I could be totally off base here but wasnt there a really good RB we had way back in the day.....

I also believe that had he not gotten injured Sterling Shape would be in this conversation......For the short time he was in the league he matched Jerry Rice (the greatest WR in NFL history) numbers for numbers.....He had it all Speed, Strength, and the ability to go up and catch the ball....

Ref, As much as I agree with you on SS, I don't agree that JR is the best ever receiver in the NFL.

#5 was worn by Paul Hornung, RB of the Packers. And #31 was worn by Jim Taylor who both played during the Starr Years...
But the I believe the RB that had his number retired was Tony Canadeo who played MUCH earlier.

Greatest Packers EVER to play the game are Don Hutson, Brett Favre, Reggie White, and Mr. NO ARGUMENT himself, Ray Nitschke.

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My greatest Packer ever is Bart Starr . He won 5 NFL championships , including the 1st 2 Super Bowls , and also 2 Super Bowls MVP's . :packbeer:

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: No Question really has to be Don Hutson.
Played both ways in an era when football was still a real game.
Then Ray Nitschke; Epitomized what a Green Bay Packer player is.
Probably never see another MLB in GB like him.
Trying to recall the QB from yesteryear who could throw a fat old fashioned football farther then any QB since and with accuracy yet. Seventy yards through a window. LOL kinda dates me I guess.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been so many great Packers that listing just one as the greatest is way to difficult. I think Favre might be the best and most athletic quarterback we've ever had. I think Nitchke was a great player who was also an inspiratin to make others better. Hornung and Taylor in their day were among the best at their position. But if I had to name one player as the greatest ever, it would clearly be Bart Starr. He was not the best athlete on those great 60's teams, but he was the one that pulled it all together. He made good players great. He was as tough as they came in those days and the bottom line is that he won. He was surrounded by great players, but he knew what to do with those great players, and here is the key. He called his own game. He could set up a defense better than any offensive coordinator in the league today. He was a gentleman, and he was a Packer through and through.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to say Favre...but how do you compare Favre with Starr? Arn't there too many differences in the game?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is the most exciting player I've ever seen where a Packer uniform. I think Favre could do the things that Starr did. I think he could call his own game. Reggie White is the most dominant defensive player I've ever seen wear a Packer uniform, but Ray Nitchke wasn't far behind him. Dave Robinson was also a dominant linebacker in the LT mode. But in my mind the greatest Packer of all time, based on his accomplishments at that time, is Bart Starr. Those Packer teams of the 60's were just so dominant

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to say Favre...but how do you compare Favre with Starr? Arn't there too many differences in the game?

That's easy Bart called the plays on the field not from his headset!
Bart didn't get the type of protections avaiable to today's QBs. As good as Brett my be I doubt he would have lasted as long as he has back in the Unitas/Bart Starr era.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might be right there, but we'll never know. Brett Favre might be the toughest player I've ever seen play. That's why I think the accolades that go toward Starr after all these decades are so special. You couldn't really go wrong picking either of those guys, or Reggie or Ray either for that matter.

Members online

Latest posts