Greatest of All Time

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
that's what I figured. ive seen the guy play about 4,000 more snaps than you. but... you know better.
So you have watched him play about 57 games of football. What, was he in your local high school league? So at 4,000 more snaps what you are saying is you have watched just about every play the kid has played in college and the NFL. Man that's dedication. Tell me, did you record the Seattle games and watch them after the Packer games? All that time watching the Wolfpack and then the Badgers. Tell my, why are you watching so much of Wilson?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

that's what I figured. ive seen the guy play about 4,000 more snaps than you. but... you know better.

And still you can't come up with a single skill set Wilson is lacking to become a great QB.

BTW it would be great if you would send me some of the DVDs you possess of the Collegiate School Cougars, so I can watch another 4,000 snaps of him as well.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Wow, are you stalking the guy? Have VHS of the kid in Pop Warner? That's a lot of snaps. LOL.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tall. He needs to work on his altitudeness skills if he is to be in Rodger's class.

Height has been the biggest knock on Wilson coming out of college and while it has been a non-factor in the NFL some people stull think it's a valid point.

Although I haven't seen every single of his snaps since high school like NOMOFO has, I still know that Wilson bounces on his toes a lot in the pocket and has a very high point of release which takes away some of his height disadvantages. In addition the guy can move around, not only creating running but passing lanes as well.

IMO batted passes is a pretty good indicator about someone having troubles with their point of release. Wilson has 13 batted passes so far in two seasons, which is a pretty low number (even taking his fewer pass attempts into consideration). FYI Aaron has 11 over that span.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Height has been the biggest knock on Wilson coming out of college and while it has been a non-factor in the NFL some people stull think it's a valid point.

Although I haven't seen every single of his snaps since high school like NOMOFO has, I still know that Wilson bounces on his toes a lot in the pocket and has a very high point of release which takes away some of his height disadvantages. In addition the guy can move around, not only creating running but passing lanes as well.

IMO batted passes is a pretty good indicator about someone having troubles with their point of release. Wilson has 13 batted passes so far in two seasons, which is a pretty low number (even taking his fewer pass attempts into consideration). FYI Aaron has 11 over that span.
The biggest problem from lack of height, IMO, is seeing the field. There are ten 300# 6'4" guys in front of you mixing it up. There is a big advantage to being 6'5" and able to see more of the field. Doesn't mean he can't be successful, just means that he will have to compensate with better pocket movement; knowledge of pass defenses; and trust/understanding in his WRs. The only advantage, I can think of, is the LBs and safeties may not be able to locate you allowing some running opportunities.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
For the record, I went back and checked how many snaps Wilson could have played in during his college days and NFL days, it comes to around 5,550 give or take a few.
The biggest problem from lack of height, IMO, is seeing the field. There are ten 300# 6'4" guys in front of you mixing it up. There is a big advantage to being 6'5" and able to see more of the field. Doesn't mean he can't be successful, just means that he will have to compensate with better pocket movement; knowledge of pass defenses; and trust/understanding in his WRs. The only advantage, I can think of, is the LBs and safeties may not be able to locate you allowing some running opportunities.
He's an inch shorter than Brees. Brees does not seem to be affected by his lack of height.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, I went back and checked how many snaps Wilson could have played in during his college days and NFL days, it comes to around 5,550 give or take a few.

He's an inch shorter than Brees. Brees does not seem to be affected by his lack of height.

You would agree though, there is an advantage to being taller. Right?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You would agree though, there is an advantage to being taller. Right?
For the most part. Yes. However, I don't think it really matters to those that are shorter who have been playing the position for years. They have already adjusted to dealing with the issue. Until someone comes out with a study that proves height at the position matters it's just a myth. And if it does, why are we not seeing more 6-7 QB's in the league?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the most part. Yes. However, I don't think it really matters to those that are shorter who have been playing the position for years. They have already adjusted to dealing with the issue. Until someone comes out with a study that proves height at the position matters it's just a myth. And if it does, why are we not seeing more 6-7 QB's in the league?
Diminishing returns. The taller you get the less shifty you become. Additionally, there are disadvantages in throwing mechanics. Long arms and you typically have a longer throwing motion. Quick release helps prevent CBs from jumping the route.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it 's probably tough for him to see the field in the pocket. The thing though with Wilson is he's great getting outside of the pocket and throw it from there. Over the last two years nobody is even close to him in pass attempts outside of the pocket, and he's pretty succesful doing it as well, completing 57.4% of those passes.

Denzel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Montana rode his defense, runningbacks, and short passing game to 4 superbowl victories. He got absolutely DESTROYED whenever his running game wasn't able to open up playaction for easy completions. The play he is best known for is him throwing the ball up and his giant receiver jumps and hauls it in. (the catch)

Have any of you actually watched the greats play football?

I bet I'm an idiot, right?

/spoiler/ I'm not /spoiler/

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Any QB realistically has the "potential" to be the greatest of all time. But guys like Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas have set the bar so high, it's hard to imagine Wilson doing it.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough I'm just saying how can this guy ever have a chance at GOAT when he isn't even the best QB today? Could any of Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees even Romo, who is an incredibly underrated NFL QB, taken a team in the top 10 of the draft to the playoffs? I say they'd have a hell of a lot better shot then Russel Wilson. Meanwhile you put any of them on Seattle and they are no question SB champs.

Exactly. He got his SB ring on the back of his superb defense. It will be interesting to see how wonderful he is once that team has to start paying all these players - including him. They will be hard pressed to keep this team together because of the salary cap and FA.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more thing - I'd like to see Wilson play in the NFL for more than 2 seasons before I entertain any notion of him in the conversation as the GOAT. The guys right now that are considered elite - Rodgers, Brees, Brady and P. Manning - have shown superior QB play for a number of seasons. These 4 belong in any discussion about GOATs, not a 2nd year player like Wilson.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts