Greatest Defensive Packers

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first thought was Willie Davis. The flame may be dimmer from the passage time, but it was a 5-alarm inferno back in the day. I'm still not swayed

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charles Woodson! talk about a turn over machine.. he forced fumbles, made tackles and picked off qb's..it's like whenever the Pack needed a takeaway he came through. His ability to turn int's into touchdowns was amazing. I think he's 1 behind Rod Woodson for most int return touchdowns all time. I hope he get's 2 more before he's done. Favorite player of all time.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Is this by stats or by opinion?

I'll give my 2 cents = Chuck Cecil......that dude was a wrecking machine. I loved the way he played without concern for his or anyone elses safety. He was gunna take your head off when he hit you. Hell, the guy hit people so hard he broke his own nose several times. lol

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this by stats or by opinion?

I'll give my 2 cents = Chuck Cecil......that dude was a wrecking machine. I loved the way he played without concern for his or anyone elses safety. He was gunna take your head off when he hit you. Hell, the guy hit people so hard he broke his own nose several times. lol
OMG...lol...smelling salts on the sidelines anyone?!

12theTruth

Its Reggie White by a little bit over some of the stalwarts of Lombardi era defense.

Phil Bengsten's D had so many great players that they didn't overshadow others on the squad as White did to his defensive teammates.

Nitschke, Adderly, Davis, Robinson, Wood, and Jordan all from the same defense. All in the HOF and while none of these were individually as good as Reggie White some were darn close to being as good.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I'd have to go with ray nitschke for the mean streak. The guy was a bad apple, from day one. He couldn't turn it off. Butkus was a mean guy on the field but was a sweethart off the field. Ray was just bad 24/7. If you can't turn off bad, good things can happen.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first thought was Willie Davis. The flame may be dimmer from the passage time, but it was a 5-alarm inferno back in the day. I'm still not swayed

The trouble with Reggie White, his best years were with another team. Willie Davis on the other hand was absolutely brilliant as a Packer from the moment he came here.

As for Ray, outstanding LB but as a player he might not have been the best of that LB corps(which is no failing). Ive heard it said that a lot of contemporary players, coaches, and reporters regarded Dave Robinson as the better player. Dude was tough against the run, a hell of a pass rusher, and a legit ball hawk on top of that.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I'd have to go with ray nitschke for the mean streak. The guy was a bad apple, from day one. He couldn't turn it off. Butkus was a mean guy on the field but was a sweethart off the field. Ray was just bad 24/7. If you can't turn off bad, good things can happen.

I recall seeing Ray Nitschke on the old game show "What's My Line". He was a mild mannered gentleman. He even wore eyeglasses.

Best, at best, is an opinion. Yes, there are statistics that say who won/lost or who was tall/small. How do you measure /compare Reggie White"s heart to Herb Adderleys courage. Can Ray Nitschke's toughness be greater than Nick Collins' tenacity. Let us remember those plays, those moments, that made them stand out. The memories that make them legends are what make them all great.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Apparently even Ray had an occasional moment where he let his guard down. In his book, Instant Replay, Jerry Kramer shared an anecdote where a number of Packers had gathered at Ray's house for his birthday party. At some point during the party Ray was told to look out his front window where, parked in the street, was a new car his wife had bought him as a surprise gift. I don't recall his exact reaction, but I remember the player's surprise when their tough linebacker broke down in front of their eyes.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you see the movie The Longest Yard? Not the wimpy remake with Adam (Quarter-Back?-Yeah-Right) *******.
I mean the original and best with Burt Reynolds.
Anyway, Ray did some things in that movie which shows that he was willing to be a good sport about it when he was the butt of the joke.
Your probably right that Ray was a bad apple but he had his nice guy moments too.

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trouble with Reggie White, his best years were with another team. Willie Davis on the other hand was absolutely brilliant as a Packer from the moment he came here.

As for Ray, outstanding LB but as a player he might not have been the best of that LB corps(which is no failing). Ive heard it said that a lot of contemporary players, coaches, and reporters regarded Dave Robinson as the better player. Dude was tough against the run, a hell of a pass rusher, and a legit ball hawk on top of that.
Best years were in Green Bay. He never won a super bowl playing in Philly. He became more dominant in Green Bay IMO. Watch some footage. He was tossing lineman like rag dolls, the man was a freak of nature.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My vote goes to BJ Raji.
Because what other Green Bay player started this dance trend?
They can throw other players around and hit hard all they want to.
But to start a dance trend reaches a certain level of greatness that nothing else can touch.
Not even the football HOF.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My vote goes to BJ Raji.
Because what other Green Bay player started this dance trend?
They can throw other players around and hit hard all they want to.
But to start a dance trend reaches a certain level of greatness that nothing else can touch.
Not even the football HOF.
If Raji gets it for his dance, I'd rather see it go to Butler for starting a trend that has lasted 20 years"

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although he isn't at the level of White and the greats from the Lombardi era, I was a big fan of the toughness and instictive play of Leroy Butler.

If Clay plays as long as his father did, stays healthy and sticks with the Packers as long as his father stuck with the Browns, we could be watching one of the all-time greats right now.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always liked kampman. Woodson was one of a kind. short time in GB but the stork was great. reggie was the best

Reaction score
(In my best buzzer voice)eeennnnnntttttt. The greatest defensive player to ever play for your GREEN BAY PACKERS is, none other than............"The Pick Parade #27 Terrell Buckley!!!!!!!
Wait a minute, I just threw up in my mouth when I reread my post. Maybe he wasn't all he thought he was cracked up to be!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If Raji gets it for his dance, I'd rather see it go to Butler for starting a trend that has lasted 20 years"

All these years, I never knew that Reggie was out of bounds...but he was. Hahahaha.... LMAO.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Observations:
I love the chatter between the announceers over the military career of the Raider's player.
And then they have no idea what they just saw on that awesome improv. heads up Packers play.
They are so dumbfounded they don't notice or care about Butler doing the Leap.

There's a fan there and his only bragging rights can be, "I had a hand on Leroy's Butler butt for the first Lambeau Leap ever. Yeah!"
Not exactly something I'd be bragging about.

I like how the Packers word in the end zone now resembles the official font.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Observations:
I love the chatter between the announceers over the military career of the Raider's player.
And then they have no idea what they just saw on that awesome improv. heads up Packers play.
They are so dumbfounded they don't notice or care about Butler doing the Leap.

Jim and Max, grew up listening to them and have never heard a better team. Uecker comes close when he is filling time during a slow game.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best years were in Green Bay. He never won a super bowl playing in Philly. He became more dominant in Green Bay IMO. Watch some footage. He was tossing lineman like rag dolls, the man was a freak of nature.

Let me rephrase, he was at his best playing for another team. As for more dominant in GB I disagree, by then he was on the downslope of his career and just didn't have the speed and explosiveness that he did when he was younger. In Philly he had a stretch of 3 seasons in which he had 18 21 and 18 sacks, he never produced like that for the Packers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts