1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Grading the draft...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by DevilDon, May 10, 2012.

1. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445 / 15 / -5
    I like consensus sites as they give an overall picture of everyone's thoughts. On grading the draft (as is usual a bit of guessing and alot of opinion) you have to know what you're grading.
    The people at Football Outsiders have this and the comments point out how worthless it is to grade a draft unless you all know how and why the grades are applied.
    Not much else in the NFL so it makes for good reading:
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2012/2012-nfl-draft-report-card-report
    Personally I give the Packers an A plus because I'm a fan.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Incomplete. We won't know for a few years most likely.
  3. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445 / 15 / -5
    LOL, that's the point isn't it 13? But they still do it. The article details why it's impossible to grade unless everyone uses a consensus to decide how the grade is applied.
  4. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +342 / 20 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    That's my issue with many post draft grades. Too many graders let their personal opinions about prospects creep into their evaluation. For example, a grader that thinks Dontari Poe is just a combine workout wonder might downgrade the Chiefs score. But that defense could use a nose tackle and Poe was projected to go in that range. I might have gone with Cox over Poe but that's just me: I value production in college.

Graders should focus on whether teams filled positional needs at approximately the right value. For example, how do the Dolphins avoid grabbing a WR in the first few rounds? (positional) Or why did Seattle use the fifteenth overall pick on Bruce Irvin when they could have moved back at least a half dozen spots and still gotten their guy? (value)

As far as whether teams drafted the right guy, we'll find out in the next 2-4 years...

Edit: I like the idea of Football Outsiders developing grade composites from the variety of evaluations. Not a bad way to get a general sense of how the "experts" think these teams came out right after the draft...
  5. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Lot of numbers meaning absolutely nothing imho.
  6. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 52 / -4
    Lol. Saying you have to wait 3 years to grade a draft is akin to saying you should only fill out you NCAA bracket in April.

There is a reason that NFL teams have gms and scouts. Because it is possible to evaluate college players and determine how good they might be. Is it 100%? Of course not. There is risk/reward with every pick. But if you get good, have an in-depth knowledge of football, you can formulate an educated opinion an hit on more than you miss.
  7. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Jeeze, do you people not like to have fun? :p

Draft grades are for the fans to argue over. It's to keep us occupied.

I like what FO did there, but it just made me mad seeing all of the grades. Cincy had a good draft, but I don't think they're the best in the league. The Pack seemed to be graded consistently...just above a B+...I think that's very fair.
  8. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 52 / -4
    Like the FO. They think outside of the box with mathematical analysis. I also get sick of seeing so many draft grades where they praise most of the picks. FO isn't afraid to say if a team screwed up.
  9. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    If you listen to the ESPN First Draft podcast, Kiper is pretty harsh on most teams. He's really stepped his game up lately and he and McShay do a nice job of being realistic. That being said, these number nuts are great when it comes to being realistic. Footballguys.com is another great place for realistic draft talk.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 54 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    I love the way McShay hypes a pick before the draft, then calls drafting him a mistake
  11. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Lol it's such a great business to be in. You can say a guy is great, then bash him and it's all okay because you're paid to entertain not to be right,