Grading the '03 draft:

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They say the "instant grades" by nearly everyone are ridiculous as it takes atleast three years to grade a draft. That having been said, here is the '03 team by team draft:

<http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/years/2003>
scroll her for link: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/years/2003

Top 5

1) NE - First 6 picks are major contributors
2) Cincy - Day 1 awesome, Palmer may be 2nd best QB in the league
3) Indy - Clark and Doss day 1. Mathis and June 5th & 6th round. You kiddin' me?
4) Arizona - Seems they always draft well, but doesn't equal wins?
5) NYG - Beefed up DL in a hurry

Bottom 5

5) ATL - Griffith, FB, is your best pick?
4) MIA - Ever heard of any of these guys? (Actually I know Jenkins because he was QB at South Carolina)
3) NYJ - Some flops these guys turned out to be
2) San Diego - Some depth guys, but no impact players
1) OAK - 5 first day picks, 2 first rounders, and Justin Fargas (a 3rd string RB) is your "best player?"

What are your thoughts on the 03 draft?

**CORRECTION** After further review, SD is no longer in the bottom 5 and nearly makes the top 5 considering they drafted their "franchise" punter in the 5th, Kassim Osgood in the 7th and took Antonio Gates in Rookie Free Agency. Gates changes the entire complexion of their draft.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers
Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State
5 147 James Lee NT Oregon State
5 166 Hunter Hillenmeyer OLB Vanderbilt
6 212 Brennan Curtin T Notre Dame
7 245 Chris Johnson CB Louisville
7 253 DeAndrew Rubin WR South Florida
7 256 Carl Ford WR Toledo
7 257 Steve Josue LB Carson-Newman

Barnett was the only player for GB out of that draft. I think they should be in the bottom 5 for that year.

HH is a good player, but ended up getting cut and isn't with the team. Peterson finally started to come on last season, but he's a backup who will have to work hard to make the team. CJ showed a lot of promise, but couldn't stay healthy to get on the field. Lee filled in nicely, but couldn't make last year's team.

A draft like this is why we ended up with 15 rookies on last year's roster. It's also why we'll see so many new faces on this year's roster. TT has GB firmly in rebuilding mode right now and we'll need some development time to bring it together.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pantherd said:
It wasn't GBs best, but I didn't think it was that bad. Barnett pulls the grade up quite a bit.

In comparison to the 5 teams you mentioned, I suppose not the bottom 5. Barnett is clearly a very good player, but the only other player even on the roster still is Peterson.

Draft-wise I think there were 3 impact players from the draft, but 1 is on another team and the other was too injured to play. I suppose it's on par with Wolf's last draft class.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kenny Peterson is still around, and he was very impressive the last 3 games. Maybe he is peaking.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering the fact that the lions share of picks were 5th round and above and we got Barnett it's not all bad.

I am glad to see more athletic guys that can contribute on special teams that we drafted last year and again this year. We were in a far better position this year but i don't think we wasted the opportunity.

I can see 5 guys on the roster in three years making big contributions to this team. If that holds true it would be and awesome draft year.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson was projected as a first round pick by some and we got him in the third so I still don't think that was a bad pick. He has been injured but plays hard and can still contribute.
With the way teams rotate DL now it is hard for any of them to excel unless they are a pass rushing end.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I liked.
  • 1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State

I didn't like.
  • 3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State

OP
OP
P

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I liked.
  • 1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State

I didn't like.
  • 3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State

In comparison, we took

1 8 Jordan Gross T Utah (solid, not a pro-bowler, but plays RT or LT well)
2 50 Bruce Nelson C Iowa (wasted pick. had potential to be good. hip condition ended career after two seasons)
3 76 Mike Seidman TE UCLA (wasted pick. injured often. can't break rotation when not injured. will be cut this year)
3 82 Ricky Manning CB UCLA (better player before crack down on physical play by corners. ok nickle)
4 119 Colin Branch S Stanford (smart, fast. earned starting spot last year before missing entire season with knee injury in preseason)
5 145 Kindal Moorehead DT Alabama (next to Gross, best pick in this draft. Has started along with Jordan Carstens in place of Jenkins due to KJ's injuries past two seasons. Would start on many teams in this league)
7 226 Walter Young WR Illinois (overacheiving good guy. good guys finish last and thus he was waived. later picked up by Piits. Floating around the league)
7 247 Casey Moore RB Stanford (back and forth on the practice squad and the team for a year. picked up by Tampa a time or two. Out there seeking employment)

To compare our drafts equally/fairly we would have to look at this:

Gross vs. Barnett Both provide quality players for their team
Peterson vs. Seidman could have been a lot better
Peterson vs. Manning we did a better job here
Hillenmeyer vs. Moorehead Both served their purpose (still like cheering for our guy better... Moorehead, Moorehead, Moorehead!)
Lee vs. Moorehead We definitely got the better end of this deal
Johnson, Rubin, Ford, Josue vs. Young, Moore Let's fact it, we're lucky if any of these guys ever make the team.

Overall both drafts deserve a C (average) grade. Nothing spectacular. Atleast the first rounders didn't bomb. Some of the others have been able to contribute. Our draft with a 2nd and a 3rd didn't pan out quite as well. Though both get a C grade, the higher numberic score, lets say 79, goes to GB while the lower grade, 77, goes to Carolina.

OP
OP
P

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MontanaBob said:
WTF....uh, unless I'm wrong, wasn't the '03 draft , like, maybe three years ago??

Uh... maybe you missed the whole point of this thread. No, apparently you did miss entire point of this thread. Let me help you. Here is the very first line of the very first post:

"They say the "instant grades" by nearly everyone are ridiculous as it takes atleast three years to grade a draft. That having been said, here is the '03 team by team draft:"

In other words, in order to grade a draft, you need to wait three or more years hence we are looking at the '03 draft as it has now been three full seasons since these guys were selected.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotch pantherd. Just a little bad humor on a bad day. :cry: Our school board broke off negotiations with our association and looks like we could be walking before the end of the school year.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MontanaBob said:
I gotch pantherd. Just a little bad humor on a bad day. :cry: Our school board broke off negotiations with our association and looks like we could be walking before the end of the school year.

bummer deal bob. hang in there & hope for the best. :)

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MontanaBob said:

"Students last"

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably won't happen before next school year. A few of the younger rebel rousers are stirring the pot, but us lifers are just sitting back. Things happen over the summer and we'll probably settle.

It's too bad because yes, the students are the ones who get short changed. But if you look at national teachers salaries, Montana is second from the bottom and Missoula is second lowest in the state of the class A schools. Most of our teachers have second and third jobs just to make ends meet.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and yet you (& every other decent teacher) are shaping our childrens & thusly, our worlds future?!? makes alot of sense - NOT!! :(

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at the Bears draft. Then realize Hunter Hillenmeyer was drafted by the Packers and will be starting for them.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl and others....sorry to ruffle your feathers, but that's the way it is. As teachers or anybody in any other profession, we deserve to be compensated fairly for what we do. A beautiful view, nice community, and all the other things don't pay the bills. My cousins son is starting a job this summer, fresh out of college, at double what I make now after 40 years of teaching. And his job is just in business. No grad school, no continuing education every 4 years to keep his certificate like we have to.

When the crunch time comes in budgets, locally and nationally, what gets cut first, or near the top.....education. Those in education can understand. If you are not, find out more about teachers and what we do; have to do; what is required nationally, state wise and locally. It's mind boogling.

Johnny can't read in 2nd grade...it's the teachers fault. Mary is disruptive and can't sit still...it's the teachers fault. Only to find out that Johnny comes from an extended home with drug addicts as parents and Mary has ADD and is beaten with a belt at home when she misbehaves.

Sorry to go on, but teachers are people also and we should be treated as such. Yes, the kids suffer, but who suffers when airlines go on strike; the sanitation department strikes; transportation workers walk out; or an auto manufacturer goes out. We all do!

MNPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The interesting thing about the 03 draft is that we could have picked any one of 3 LBs Barnett, Boss Bailey or E. J. Henderson. Their was a lot of people questioning the Barnett pick. How does everyone think that worked out?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MNPackerfan said:
The interesting thing about the 03 draft is that we could have picked any one of 3 LBs Barnett, Boss Bailey or E. J. Henderson. Their was a lot of people questioning the Barnett pick. How does everyone think that worked out?

No no no.....don't bring that up. That would mean that they would have to admit Mike Sherman made a good pick :wink:

Yea I can hear it now. "Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in awhile".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts