Grab your pitch forks, we're heading for the border!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am glad we have a retirement home for all our former players.

"Dont worry, some day when you arent good enough to play for the packers you can play for the vikings."

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he will go to Minnesota, but if he did I wouldn't hold it against him like I did to Favre. Two vastly different people and vastly different reasons. DD is a professional. Can't say the same about Brent.

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, I hope DD goes to the Vikings. Packers fans need to swallow their pride and let players make their own decision without annoying criticism.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if the Vikings take the washed up Driver, I will gladly take the washed up Urlacher.
He still forces more turnovers in a month than Hawk does in 2 seasons.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't think he will go to Minnesota, but if he did I wouldn't hold it against him like I did to Favre. Two vastly different people and vastly different reasons. DD is a professional. Can't say the same about Brent.
You can't fault DD for wanting to play. I'd hope it would be for another team than MIN, but then again, in my mind a player retires when he leaves this team. I don't recognize their time with any other team.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'd bet Driver wouldn't even consider it. He's seen what happens when a players pent up "pissed off" overtakes their brain. He will be a Green Bay legend...even if he goes somewhere else for a season...except if he chooses to go to Minnesota - then he knows he'll become a pariah. There are plenty of teams willing to take a shot on Double D, he doesn't have to alienate the fan base.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'd bet Driver wouldn't even consider it. He's seen what happens when a players pent up "pissed off" overtakes their brain. He will be a Green Bay legend...even if he goes somewhere else for a season...except if he chooses to go to Minnesota - then he knows he'll become a pariah. There are plenty of teams willing to take a shot on Double D, he doesn't have to alienate the fan base.
Lol make himself a twofer with GJ to the highest bidder!

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally support Driver doing whatever he wants. He would come back for the league minimum to play for the pack. Its not like he is out there pushing for every last dollar like someone. He just wants to play.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD caught passes from Favre and Rodgers. Wonder what he will think when he starts catching them from ponder and Webb

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else here suspect the team will offer (or already has) something similar to what they offered Farve to hang it up and remain "on" with the Packers?
Didn't they offer Farve a $25 million package?
I wonder if they throw Donald a 10-15 million dollar deal.

Thing is, he wants to PLAY ball, not just make more money, I believe.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...except if he chooses to go to Minnesota - then he knows he'll become a pariah. There are plenty of teams willing to take a shot on Double D, he doesn't have to alienate the fan base.
I don't understand this attitude. Is it because of Favre? Brett wanted to go to Minnesota purely to rub it in Ted Thompson's face and beat the Packers. Donald Driver and every other player have been different. Do you hate Ryan Longwell for the same reason? Darren Sharper? This is my personal opinion, but people who are that shallow in their thinking about sports need to grow up. The guy just wants to play a few more years before age forces him to hang up his cleats. Shame on anyone who puts petty team allegiance ahead of that.

Donald Driver is NOTHING like Brett Favre.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me much tbh.

We barely use him at all anymore
He's on the decline which means he won't provide much if anything to a new team
He'll always be Packer no matter where he ends up. Although I'd rather just see him retire

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't understand this attitude. Is it because of Favre? Brett wanted to go to Minnesota purely to rub it in Ted Thompson's face and beat the Packers. Donald Driver and every other player have been different. Do you hate Ryan Longwell for the same reason? Darren Sharper? This is my personal opinion, but people who are that shallow in their thinking about sports need to grow up. The guy just wants to play a few more years before age forces him to hang up his cleats. Shame on anyone who puts petty team allegiance ahead of that.

Donald Driver is NOTHING like Brett Favre.
Unfortunately a good percentage of Packer fans feel that way. If you are a Packer player you are not supposed to go to another team, or want to go to another team. Packer fans have no problem bringing in players from other teams though. It's the emotional aspect of being a fan.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember an afc east player being in a similar position and them being like "man I don't think I could ever play for (insert division rival)" when they were at the end of their career looking to go somewhere else. I kinda like that.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It's just business. The man is free to go to whom ever he chooses. If he wants to play and has the desire to play, then I can't stop liking the guy who helped us out countless times if he goes to a rival. Even if he does go to the vikes, at least we get to see him play against us twice per season. Also, it's not likely that he will have the same impact on the vikes offense that Favre had the first two times we played him. I have nothing but love for DD, good luck to him whatever he decides to do and where he goes. not to mention, he does not have that *** clown attitude Favre had, DD is a class act.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would really rather see him on any team but the Vikings. I swear, that organization is PATHETIC in how they seek old Packers players. they want to be the packers so BADLY, but at the end of the day they will ALWAYS SUCK!
I heard the Vikings are also looking at Bart Starr for QB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t think DD would be any more a pariah for ‘going purple’ than Edgar Bennett was for playing for the Bears. I really don’t care if he plays for another team, but I hope he doesn’t believe what he’s quoted saying in that article. The past two seasons he was, at best, the #4 or #5 receiver in Green Bay, if he thinks he can be the #1 or #2 for another team over the next three years, IMO he’s delusional. But if he really believes that, I expect him to sign with another team and I wish nothing but the best for him except against the Packers. If he signs with the Vikings, I hope he gets #2 WR-type compensation.

IMO any marketing deal with DD should depend upon the revenue generated from his jersey (and other items associated with him) sales. I wouldn’t think there would be that much profit there but I honestly don’t know. As I remember it, if he goes to another team, the Packers can continue selling “his” merchandise without compensating him, but once he retires, they no longer hold those exclusive rights. He was already the recipient of the Packers’ generosity this season ($2,300,000) so once he retires I’d rather they compensate him per item sold.

H

HardRightEdge

I really don't understand this line of discussion at all.

The Packers probably would not want Driver on the roster next season even if he were to play for free. They signed him for 2012 because, in my opinion, TT did not want the distraction of a mini-Favre repeat going into a SB contending season. Fans have now gotten used to the idea, given Driver was increasingly a non-factor as the season wore on, even inactive for some games. Even with the injuries at WR, he was targeted only 13 times. He's taking a roster spot and a handful of snaps better served with the development of youth.

That's the team side of the picture. As for the player, if he wants to play and somebody else will have him (and give him a pay check), what's the issue? Fans who think he should retire a Packer are being selfish and/or don't understand or want to acknowledge the business side of the game. In reality, Driver would be at best a #3 in this league; more likely he'd be insurance for a team with zero depth. I'd say the interest in signing him will be minimal, and he might just retire anyway. This is Hines Ward redux.

Driver said, “I think I could go to any team and be either their number one or number two guy and be solid for another three years." You know what they say...often times the player is the last to know when his time done. The statement appears as delusional as his thinking that dancing through the opening of training camp doesn't matter. But if he wants to try to sell that line to another team, have at it I say.

As for Jennings, reading between the lines, it would not surprise me if the Packers did not even counteroffer Jennings' agent's contract proposal. The Cobb redundancy means his value to us is well below what the market will bear, even if that market value isn't Vincent Jackson money. There isn't much point in insulting the guy (and tarnishing your reputation in the process) with a low ball offer you know he won't accept.

On the player's side, while it might be nice if a guy asks for 1/2 what somebody else will pay him to stay put, it is entirely unrealistic. You cannot begrudge a guy with a ring on his finger seeking greener pastures. His chatter (and that of close relatives) in the press and on Twitter was likely designed to either (1) elicit fan/press support in the hopes of getting a better offer (or an offer at all, if none had been forthcoming) and/or (2) to signal to other teams that he's in play.

I have a hard time getting all exercised over a guy being disgruntled over contract issues, providing it doesn't affect his play. It's a part of the game.

H

HardRightEdge

I don’t think DD would be any more a pariah for ‘going purple’ than Edgar Bennett was for playing for the Bears. I really don’t care if he plays for another team, but I hope he doesn’t believe what he’s quoted saying in that article. The past two seasons he was, at best, the #4 or #5 receiver in Green Bay, if he thinks he can be the #1 or #2 for another team over the next three years, IMO he’s delusional. But if he really believes that, I expect him to sign with another team and I wish nothing but the best for him except against the Packers. If he signs with the Vikings, I hope he gets #2 WR-type compensation.

IMO any marketing deal with DD should depend upon the revenue generated from his jersey (and other items associated with him) sales. I wouldn’t think there would be that much profit there but I honestly don’t know. As I remember it, if he goes to another team, the Packers can continue selling “his” merchandise without compensating him, but once he retires, they no longer hold those exclusive rights. He was already the recipient of the Packers’ generosity this season ($2,300,000) so once he retires I’d rather they compensate him per item sold.

You'd have to think merchandize sales associated with a guy no longer on the team would be negligible. In Driver's case, I cannot imagine it being material even this past season; he's not been an impact player since 2009.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald said he still thinks he'd be the #1 or #2 WR on "most" teams.
I love the guy to death, but that's a stretch.
I think he's still good though so who knows. He's been very durable too.

I want him to retire a Packer, but if not, let him go somewhere in the AFC.
Let him go to sunny Miami, and stick Jennings sister in Cleveland or Buffalo.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald said he still thinks he'd be the #1 or #2 WR on "most" teams.
I love the guy to death, but that's a stretch.
I think he's still good though so who knows. He's been very durable too.

I want him to retire a Packer, but if not, let him go somewhere in the AFC.
Let him go to sunny Miami, and stick Jennings sister in Cleveland or Buffalo.

He's dreaming with the #1 or #2 thing. I can't think of a team where that might be true. Oh he might mean biggest name on the WR corps. Sure that might be true but as far as depth chart? Not a chance