Good article on Thompson

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where do you get this from??? Did any other GM give you a call and told you about Ted being one of the best in the business??? Normally, other teams executives don´t talk about their counterparts.

LMAO... honestly... the only explanation for some of the things guys like you and rodell question is that you must not watch very much NFL football outside of the Packers. Are you really saying you haven't heard Ted Thompson often mentioned as being very well respected and one of the best in the NFL?! Seriously?!!?

Here is just one poll I just found on line:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130904/nfl-gm-poll-belichick-newsome/

D

Deleted member 6794

LMAO... honestly... the only explanation for some of the things guys like you and rodell question is that you must not watch very much NFL football outside of the Packers. Are you really saying you haven't heard Ted Thompson often mentioned as being very well respected and one of the best in the NFL?! Seriously?!!?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130904/nfl-gm-poll-belichick-newsome/

I wonder if those three votes came from Schneider, McKenzie and Dorsey. :D

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read it initially and it does explain Ted's philosophy very well. However, I'm not convinced that the guy who wrote it really watched every Packers game since 2005. Um ... we did not get "three solid years out of Brandon Chillar". Please. That contract was quite dumb, actually. I'm not here to bash Ted. I'm here to simply point out the fact that other teams are quickly pulling ahead of us. Obviously, John Schneider has proven that he can draft defensive players who are much, much better than what Ted is drafting in Green Bay. The results speak for themselves, there's no way to sugarcoat this. Datone Jones is yet another example of "did next to nothing" - a 1st-round pick that we badly needed production out of, who didn't produce!

I'm really not up for a lot of "relax, he was a rookie, give him time". Frankly, great, difference-maker players don't need time. They either have it or they don't. So far, yet another Ted 1st round pick disappointment and they're starting to add up!
Apples to Apples.

TT drafted DE Datone 26th overall - 2013 Production: 3.5 sacks
JS drafted DE Bruce Irvin 15th overall - 2013 Production: 2 sacks

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read it initially and it does explain Ted's philosophy very well. However, I'm not convinced that the guy who wrote it really watched every Packers game since 2005. Um ... we did not get "three solid years out of Brandon Chillar". Please. That contract was quite dumb, actually. I'm not here to bash Ted. I'm here to simply point out the fact that other teams are quickly pulling ahead of us. Obviously, John Schneider has proven that he can draft defensive players who are much, much better than what Ted is drafting in Green Bay. The results speak for themselves, there's no way to sugarcoat this. Datone Jones is yet another example of "did next to nothing" - a 1st-round pick that we badly needed production out of, who didn't produce!

I'm really not up for a lot of "relax, he was a rookie, give him time". Frankly, great, difference-maker players don't need time. They either have it or they don't. So far, yet another Ted 1st round pick disappointment and they're starting to add up!

PackerFlatLander's clones post 2006:

49erFlatLander- Man Veron Davis freaking sucks, we should have traded up and gotten AJ Hawk, look at his rookie production dude is going to be a beast.

RavensFlatLander- Man Haloti Ngata is a bust, didn't do jack. We should have taken Kamerion Wimbley!

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, Ted's picks and signings on the offensive side have been above average. IMO he's been bad on the other side of the ball. That's a different debate however than is it good to draft and develop.

Having said all of that, Ted is talked about by fellow NFL execs as one of the best GMs in the game.

No argument on the offensive side. Ted has easily been one of the best GM's in the game (if not the best), in terms of offense skill position players - absolutely, no doubt about that. My one huge gripe with Ted on offense, is that he has never drafted a 1st-round, bonafide franchise center. This is a cardinal sin, in my opinion. Scott Wells was a 7th round pick by Sherman and he developed into a good center and made one Pro Bowl in 2011 - fine. But the Jeff Saturday signing was a disaster and that falls on Ted. Too early to know what we have with ED-S, but it's a big gamble, if you ask me.

In terms of comparing Ted to other GM's, what's the measuring stick? How high is the bar set? Right now, as we speak, I'd argue that the regimes in Seattle and San Francisco are doing FAR better than Ted overall, because those teams are solid in all three phases of the game. The Packers are solid on offense, but the defense and special teams are absolutely subpar and nowhere near Super Bowl-caliber.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No argument on the offensive side. Ted has easily been one of the best GM's in the game (if not the best), in terms of offense skill position players - absolutely, no doubt about that. My one huge gripe with Ted on offense, is that he has never drafted a 1st-round, bonafide franchise center. This is a cardinal sin, in my opinion. Scott Wells was a 7th round pick by Sherman and he developed into a good center and made one Pro Bowl in 2011 - fine. But the Jeff Saturday signing was a disaster and that falls on Ted. Too early to know what we have with ED-S, but it's a big gamble, if you ask me.

In terms of comparing Ted to other GM's, what's the measuring stick? How high is the bar set? Right now, as we speak, I'd argue that the regimes in Seattle and San Francisco are doing FAR better than Ted overall, because those teams are solid in all three phases of the game. The Packers are solid on offense, but the defense and special teams are absolutely subpar and nowhere near Super Bowl-caliber.

So, whatever NFL team wins the Superbowl this year, that franchise is the number one top run franchise in the NFL? My Lord...honestly... THE PACKERS WERE A DROPPED INTERCEPTION AWAY FROM BEATING THE NINERS DESPITE HAVING 75% OF THEIR STARTERS INJURED!!!!!!!!!! This is NOT the Dallas Cowboys of the 90s beating the Packers year after year.

Did YOU read any of the facts I gave about the Packers verses the rest of the NFL as far as winning seasons and playoffs? How many more FACTS would you need about Ted Thompson and "measuring sticks"?!

As far as drafting a 1st round center. BOGUS point. Totally BOGUS. I've been watching these drafts closely for years now. If anything, TT has actually reached on some O-line picks knowing we needed help there. The problem here is, the Packers, unlike the Niners just a few years back, never get a high pick because we win too many games. There's never a sure-bet home run center available by the time we pick.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are completely missing the point and you make my point. You're under the belief that this 101 million worth of free agent signings wass worth it without looking past this season. We'll know next year and the year after just how "worth it" it was. Teams that spend THIS kind of money in free agency have not traditionally been consistent winners.

If you continually plan for "next year" you never win this year. Rodgers isn't getting younger. At some point you need to plan for today.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the packers record the last 3 years in the playoffs? This team is beyond just having the 5th best winning percentage, they need to be making NFC championship games. Making the playoffs and going 1 and done isn't good enough, at this point.

The packers got real close to beating the Niners but again they didn't and they can't beat physical teams. The Niners made the plays when they needed to, the packers simply did not. That is the difference between being a championship type team and one who is pretending. And quite honestly the packers nor did anyone from the NFC North deserve to make the playoffs, Injuries happen, and the packers were lucky Matt Flynn was available, that signing pretty much saved the season.

Winning Super Bowls or having a team good enough to do so is what counts. And they don't have a team right now good enough to win. There are enough pieces in place, but Ted needs to draft, sign, and/or trade for some players that will make an impact. That hasn't happened the last 3 years. Injuries have played a role in this but there is something fundamentally wrong with this team, especially the defence. No one can stay healthy, freak accidents, bad conditioning, it just can't be all bad luck.

Every team that wins the super bowl has used free agency. Possibly made some trades, and has drafted well. Ted hasn't really done any of those very well the last 3 years.

Having a HOF QB will get you to the playoffs more times than not, but having a strong team will win you playoff games, and the packers just don't have a team ready to win just yet.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, whatever NFL team wins the Superbowl this year, that franchise is the number one top run franchise in the NFL? My Lord...honestly... THE PACKERS WERE A DROPPED INTERCEPTION AWAY FROM BEATING THE NINERS DESPITE HAVING 75% OF THEIR STARTERS INJURED!!!!!!!!!! This is NOT the Dallas Cowboys of the 90s beating the Packers year after year.

Did YOU read any of the facts I gave about the Packers verses the rest of the NFL as far as winning seasons and playoffs? How many more FACTS would you need about Ted Thompson and "measuring sticks"?!

As far as drafting a 1st round center. BOGUS point. Totally BOGUS. I've been watching these drafts closely for years now. If anything, TT has actually reached on some O-line picks knowing we needed help there. The problem here is, the Packers, unlike the Niners just a few years back, never get a high pick because we win too many games. There's never a sure-bet home run center available by the time we pick.

I get it - yes, we were decimated by injuries and had Micah Hyde picked off that pass on third down, who knows what would have happened. But, we're done with "what-if's", at this point.

Again ... when Ted told that runt Favre to hit the curb, no one praised him as much as I did, I doubt. Since then, I've proudly been the self-appointed leader of the Sunshine Club, farting rainbows and unicorns at every chance. You bet I rubbed it in to the Favre ball-lickers when XLV happened. But, that was then and this is now. No more Sunshine Club and the farts are starting to stink, the unicorns are parked away in the barn. Time to start seeing the big picture for what it is. Enjoy watching four teams play this weekend, one of whom isn't the Packers. We're clearly behind the 8-ball. The 49ers have beaten us 4 straight times and they're playing in their 3rd straight title game and we aren't. I really don't see what isn't cut and dried here ... Ted is being outsmarted in the NFC and it's more than obvious!

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the packers record the last 3 years in the playoffs? This team is beyond just having the 5th best winning percentage, they need to be making NFC championship games. Making the playoffs and going 1 and done isn't good enough, at this point.

The packers got real close to beating the Niners but again they didn't and they can't beat physical teams. The Niners made the plays when they needed to, the packers simply did not. That is the difference between being a championship type team and one who is pretending. And quite honestly the packers nor did anyone from the NFC North deserve to make the playoffs, Injuries happen, and the packers were lucky Matt Flynn was available, that signing pretty much saved the season.

Winning Super Bowls or having a team good enough to do so is what counts. And they don't have a team right now good enough to win. There are enough pieces in place, but Ted needs to draft, sign, and/or trade for some players that will make an impact. That hasn't happened the last 3 years. Injuries have played a role in this but there is something fundamentally wrong with this team, especially the defence. No one can stay healthy, freak accidents, bad conditioning, it just can't be all bad luck.

Every team that wins the super bowl has used free agency. Possibly made some trades, and has drafted well. Ted hasn't really done any of those very well the last 3 years.

Having a HOF QB will get you to the playoffs more times than not, but having a strong team will win you playoff games, and the packers just don't have a team ready to win just yet.

What is their record in the playoffs the past 3 years? BETTER THAN HALF THE NFL THAT DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THE PAST THREE F'ING YEARS MUCH LESS WIN A GAME!!!! lol

...and just 4 years ago the Pack WON the mother f'ing Super Bowl!!!!!!!!! Honestly... there's not even a debate on this.... some of you are spoiled rotten and you should stop being a "fan" because that just can't be fun!

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well the packers won just as many playoff games as over half the league this year.

Yes they won the super bowl 4 years ago. I would think since then they would be competing for at least the NFC championship the last 3. If making the playoffs and going 1 and done is good enough for you because half the league didn't make it in, then I guess this year is great but I for one, want them to be competitive and advance in the playoffs.

I am proud they didn't get embarassed this year like the last 2 years, but quite frankly they had no business being in the playoffs this year. The Cardinals deserved it more.

Since when is losing fun? Being a fan is about wanting/hoping they win, cheering them on, supporting them through tough times, but that doen't mean, I can't be critical of them.

Again, this team is beyond just making the playoffs, its time to start winning or at leat making the NFC championship games. anything else isn't good enough. You can't have a QB like Rodgers and just be happy with making the playoffs, , but being realistic the Niners and Seahawks are the better teams right now, that could change next year but right now the packers simply aren't good enough.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it - yes, we were decimated by injuries and had Micah Hyde picked off that pass on third down, who knows what would have happened. But, we're done with "what-if's", at this point.

Again ... when Ted told that runt Favre to hit the curb, no one praised him as much as I did, I doubt. Since then, I've proudly been the self-appointed leader of the Sunshine Club, farting rainbows and unicorns at every chance. You bet I rubbed it in to the Favre ball-lickers when XLV happened. But, that was then and this is now. No more Sunshine Club and the farts are starting to stink, the unicorns are parked away in the barn. Time to start seeing the big picture for what it is. Enjoy watching four teams play this weekend, one of whom isn't the Packers. We're clearly behind the 8-ball. The 49ers have beaten us 4 straight times and they're playing in their 3rd straight title game and we aren't. I really don't see what isn't cut and dried here ... Ted is being outsmarted in the NFC and it's more than obvious!

lol ... farting rainbows and unicorns. I like your style. ... but your whacked with what you are saying. I can only imagine what fans of about 20 other NFL teams would tell you if they read your rants. "Being outsmarted"?

Honestly... why do I even try... OK... let's try this another way. You are aware that during the past three years almost half of the NFL teams have not even MADE the playoffs right? So, given that, and based on your...what can we call it?....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........your "logic?"..... we can say that every single one of those are absolutely pathetically run organizations, right? The GMs of those teams, at the very least, CERTAINLY are being.... AHEM! ...."outsmarted" by Mr. Ted Thompson because at least he's MADE the playoffs right? So, I think we've come to agreement that Ted Thompson ranks someplace between the best and 12th best GM in the entire NFL. ...until after next year when the Niners will need to dismantle and finish last. I think then he might have a shot at 11th best. lol... YOU ARE SPOILED

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol ... farting rainbows and unicorns. I like your style. ... but your whacked with what you are saying. I can only imagine what fans of about 20 other NFL teams would tell you if they read your rants. "Being outsmarted"?

Honestly... why do I even try... OK... let's try this another way. You are aware that during the past three years almost half of the NFL teams have not even MADE the playoffs right? So, given that, and based on your...what can we call it?....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........your "logic?"..... we can say that every single one of those are absolutely pathetically run organizations, right? The GMs of those teams, at the very least, CERTAINLY are being.... AHEM! ...."outsmarted" by Mr. Ted Thompson because at least he's MADE the playoffs right? So, I think we've come to agreement that Ted Thompson ranks someplace between the best and 12th best GM in the entire NFL. ...until after next year when the Niners will need to dismantle and finish last. I think then he might have a shot at 11th best. lol... YOU ARE SPOILED

Fair enough, but ... considering that I went to a whole boatload of games in the 1980's and 1990-1991 when we were mostly terrible, I don't think I'd consider myself spoiled. Boston sports fans are spoiled. In comparison, I don't think I fall into that category. I'm STILL a Milwaukee Bucks fan after 25+ years of no titles and withstanding living here when the stupid Bulls won six. The one Chicago team I do love is the White Sox and very blessed to have seen them win one WS. I lost my fave team the Quebec Nordiques in 1995 and still waiting for their return. All that said - I don't think I'm very spoiled at all.

But I do see your point - yes, we've had it very good since 1992 - I'm not complaining, in terms of comparing to what it was like before then. I'm just saying that we need to improve and it wouldn't hurt for Ted to alter his strategy a bit, in a smart fiscal way. We should not want to just make the playoffs every year, we should want excellence. Right now, the defense and special teams coverage units leave a lot to be desired, that's all.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, but ... considering that I went to a whole boatload of games in the 1980's and 1990-1991 when we were mostly terrible, I don't think I'd consider myself spoiled. Boston sports fans are spoiled. In comparison, I don't think I fall into that category. I'm STILL a Milwaukee Bucks fan after 25+ years of no titles and withstanding living here when the stupid Bulls won six. The one Chicago team I do love is the White Sox and very blessed to have seen them win one WS. I lost my fave team the Quebec Nordiques in 1995 and still waiting for their return. All that said - I don't think I'm very spoiled at all.

But I do see your point - yes, we've had it very good since 1992 - I'm not complaining, in terms of comparing to what it was like before then. I'm just saying that we need to improve and it wouldn't hurt for Ted to alter his strategy a bit, in a smart fiscal way. We should not want to just make the playoffs every year, we should want excellence. Right now, the defense and special teams coverage units leave a lot to be desired, that's all.

There is a giant flipside to this that the majority of Packer fans are not honest about. How many times have we clamored for Ted to sign a guy, and that guy didn't pan out with his new team? Answer: MANY times. I can only imagine all of the disingenuous Thompson haters that won't admit to that. MANY in the Packer nation were begging Ted to sign Steven Jackson. I will admit right here, I wanted Ted to sign him. How did Steven Jackson work out for the Falcons? When the Bears signed Peppers, yes I remember the rants from the anti-Ted crowd, why can't the Pack sign Peppers? How did that signing work out for the Bears? I could go on and on. For every example somebody could give of a good FA signing we passed on, I can give 10 that were bad ones!

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a giant flipside to this that the majority of Packer fans are not honest about. How many times have we clamored for Ted to sign a guy, and that guy didn't pan out with his new team? Answer: MANY times. I can only imagine all of the disingenuous Thompson haters that won't admit to that. MANY in the Packer nation were begging Ted to sign Steven Jackson. I will admit right here, I wanted Ted to sign him. How did Steven Jackson work out for the Falcons? When the Bears signed Peppers, yes I remember the rants from the anti-Ted crowd, why can't the Pack sign Peppers? How did that signing work out for the Bears? I could go on and on. For every example somebody could give of a good FA signing we passed on, I can give 10 that were bad ones!

Totally agree with you. I will admit (and no, I'm not just saying this because we didn't get him), but I didn't really want Steven Jackson, due to the amount of miles on him and the fact that the 2013 draft was very running back-deep. I'm pretty damn glad he went to Atlanta. Eddie Lacy is my new favorite player on the team (aside from Rodgers, obviously), and I hope Lacy is here for a long time. Let's hope he has better luck with that ankle next year.

I need to re-emphasize here ... as we agreed on already - no way to ever signing Peppers-size contracts to veteran players. But, it wouldn't hurt to sign some mid-tier level players who are serviceable or better and can fill in the gaps when the "draft and develop" picks either get injured or simply don't pan out. That's all I'm advocating. Relying strictly on draft and develop is starting to put us behind. That's my observation.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apples to Apples.

TT drafted DE Datone Jones 26th overall 2013 - ROOKIE Production: 3.5 sacks
JS drafted DE Bruce Irvin 15th overall 2012 - ROOKIE Production: 8 sacks including 2.5 on Rodgers that Monday night
I fixed that for you above:
The reason his stats went down this year were A) he was bothered by an ankle but B) despite Seattle already having a very good defense, they ADDED DE's Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril in the off-season via Free Agency.

Guess what?
Their defense got even better.

Allowed 231 points (14.4/g), 1st in NFL

2012 Seahawks finished fourth in average yards allowed, the best a Seattle defense has ever ranked. They also allowed a league-low 245 points, the franchise record for a 16-game season – and only 224 of those were scored against the defense. It was the second time in club history to rank among the Top 10 in average yards allowed rushing (10th) and passing (sixth), as well as total yards.

This after the Seahawks ranked No. 9 in the league is average yards allowed in 2011
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...eahawks-defensive-stats-seaattle-pete-carroll
Here are some pretty impressive defensive stats after 13 games for this Seahawks defense:

The Seattle Seahawks are #1 in yards allowed at 287.1 yards per game. Carolina is the only other team that allows under 300 yards per game at 296.2. The Cowboys allow a league-worst 426.8 yards per game, and the league average is 350.9 yards allowed per game.

The Seattle Seahawks are #2 in points allowed per game at 15.8. Carolina is #1 at 14.5 points per game (they jumped up after the bad loss to New Orleans). The NFL average for points allowed is 23.5.

The Seattle Seahawks are #1 in passing yards allowed per game at 175.6. New Orleans (199.3) and Houston (183.6) are the only other NFL teams that allow under 200 yards per game passing. The NFL average is for passing yards allowed is 238.2.

The Seattle Seahawks are #1 in Opponent QB Rating at 69.4. The NFL league median for QB Rating allowed is about 85.

The Seattle Seahawks are #1 in Opponent Passing Yards per Attempt (YPA) at 5.8. They are the only team that allows under 6 yards per attempt passing, with the NFL median around 7.1-7.2 (this is a pretty big deal).

The Seattle Seahawks are #1 in Opponent Yards Per play at a whopping 4.6 yards per play. The NFL league median is closer to 5.3-5.4 yards per play.

The Seattle Seahawks are #1 in 20-yard passing plays allowed at 26. The NFL median is closer to 43 or 44 twenty yard passing plays allowed.

The Seattle Seahawks are #1 in 40-yard passing plays allowed at 2. The NFL median is closer to 7 or 8.

The Seattle Seahawks are #3 in Interceptions at 17, Tampa Bay leads the league with 21 interceptions.

The Seattle Seahawks are #3 in Forced fumbles at 23 (behind PHI and STL at 24) and #4 in recovered fumbles with 11 (behind KCC, DAL, STL).

The Seattle Seahawks are #4 in passing TDs allowed at 14. The Titans lead the NFL with 12 allowed. The NFL Median is around 21 passing TDs allowed.

The Seattle Seahawks are the #3 team in Red Zone defense at 40.0% conversion.

For the advanced stats guys, the Seattle Seahawks are #1 in Defensive DVOA per Football Outsiders after 13 weeks.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason his stats went down this year were A) he was bothered by an ankle but B) despite Seattle already having a very good defense, they ADDED Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril in the off-season via Free Agency.

Guess what?
Their defense got even better.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...eahawks-defensive-stats-seaattle-pete-carroll

Yep. Exactly. I am relinquishing my title as President of the Sunshine Club for the time being. If someone else wants to fart rainbows and pet the unicorns and pretend that 100% of the way Ted does things is going to get us more titles, then I'll send you my Happy Hat. It isn't working and the Bennett and Avril examples in Seattle couldn't be a more perfect example.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Exactly. I am relinquishing my title as President of the Sunshine Club for the time being. If someone else wants to fart rainbows and pet the unicorns and pretend that 100% of the way Ted does things is going to get us more titles, then I'll send you my Happy Hat. It isn't working and the Bennett and Avril examples in Seattle couldn't be a more perfect example.
Right.
Seattle and San Fran were better than us when last season ended, and yet they both added key veteran pieces, without breaking the bank, or "mortgaging the future" as some anti-FA's like to call it.

Teddy will add a FA this year.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with you. I will admit (and no, I'm not just saying this because we didn't get him), but I didn't really want Steven Jackson, due to the amount of miles on him and the fact that the 2013 draft was very running back-deep. I'm pretty damn glad he went to Atlanta. Eddie Lacy is my new favorite player on the team (aside from Rodgers, obviously), and I hope Lacy is here for a long time. Let's hope he has better luck with that ankle next year.

I need to re-emphasize here ... as we agreed on already - no way to ever signing Peppers-size contracts to veteran players. But, it wouldn't hurt to sign some mid-tier level players who are serviceable or better and can fill in the gaps when the "draft and develop" picks either get injured or simply don't pan out. That's all I'm advocating. Relying strictly on draft and develop is starting to put us behind. That's my observation.

Here is what I'm going to do this summer. I'm going to post the Packer's final cuts and final roster. We're going to then ask Thompson haters to put down in writing what they would do different. Name the guys you would have kept, the guys you would have signed in free agency and the guys you would have cut. ...cuz I gotta tell you guys... it's MUCH easier now to sit here and rag about what TT did or didn't do.

Like I said in another thread... other than maybe one or two players that we might debate... there's not usually many roster moves that any of us would consider totally nuts. In fact, I find myself often hating that time of year because as I do the math, it's clear some decent players will need to be cut.

That is exactly how it will be this summer. Once all of the injured come back and you see a complete roster and look at the big picture... THEN I want to hear all of these great suggestions...and we'll have it in writing. :)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what I'm going to do this summer. I'm going to post the Packer's final cuts and final roster. We're going to then ask Thompson haters to put down in writing what they would do different. Name the guys you would have kept, the guys you would have signed in free agency and the guys you would have cut. ...cuz I gotta tell you guys... it's MUCH easier now to sit here and rag about what TT did or didn't do.

Like I said in another thread... other than maybe one or two players that we might debate... there's not usually many roster moves that any of us would consider totally nuts. In fact, I find myself often hating that time of year because as I do the math, it's clear some decent players will need to be cut.

That is exactly how it will be this summer. Once all of the injured come back and you see a complete roster and look at the big picture... THEN I want to hear all of these great suggestions...and we'll have it in writing. :)

Great idea, BUT ... I am absolutely NOT a Thompson hater. Never have been, never will be. I just think it would behoove him to think outside the box a little bit, as opposed to sticking to one way of doing business most of the time. If his contemporaries and fellow GM's are having success using multiple ways of acquiring players, then there's no reason that he shouldn't do it as well.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right.
Seattle and San Fran were better than us when last season ended, and yet they both added key veteran pieces, without breaking the bank, or "mortgaging the future" as some anti-FA's like to call it.

Teddy will add a FA this year.

I'm starting to wonder if you anti-Ted guys even attempt to be realistic about rostering. Do you even look at the FACTS behind what you guys are saying

I just checked the current situation with Seattle looking into 2014.

Seattle has almost a third of its roster about to become free agents, and very little money with which to re-sign or replace them. (This is taken right from the article)

Number of Players Currently Under Contract for 2014: 45
Projected Current Salary-Cap Space: $5,041,607
Players With Expiring Contracts: 19

Clearly, the Seahawks have some very tough decisions to make this offseason. Five million in cap space isn't enough to re-sign or replace 19 free agents. They are going to have to free up some additional cap space in one way or another. The Seahawks will also need some young players to step in and replace veterans whom the team can no longer afford. (TAKEN RIGHT FROM THE ARTICLE) lol ....ooooooooohhhhhhh....I don't know.... are they suggesting an NFL team can't roster a team full of All-Pro proven studs while keeping under the cap? Huh? Really?

Russel Wilson is only getting paid $681,085! That helps tremendously as far as their cap spending! No wonder they had cash to spend.

All things considered, it's safe to say that the seabags are in about as bad of a situation as the 49ers. Just look at the receiver position alone. Their two highest paid receivers were hurt most of the season and they alone represent a huge chunk of their salary cap... and their replacements (and the guys that contributed the most for them) are set to become free agents! OUCH!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apples to Apples.

TT drafted DE Datone 26th overall - 2013 Production: 3.5 sacks
JS drafted DE Bruce Irvin 15th overall - 2013 Production: 2 sacks

The reason his stats went down this year were A) he was bothered by an ankle but B) despite Seattle already having a very good defense, they ADDED DE's Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril in the off-season via Free Agency.

A) Datone Jones looked very impressive early in training camp.
B) He injured his ankle and was slow coming back.
C) Bruce Irvin had a year under his belt and should produce more than a rookie
D) If Jones STILL outperformed him - playing through a similar injury - then he must be a much better draft pick

As far as your other point, please explain the reasoning why adding veteran FA DEs has an impact on who was a better draft pick. If anything, that is a indication that Jones is even better. Irvin having more talent around him; playing on a more successful defense; he should have the opportunity to perform better. Right?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Excuse me i watch plenty of football thank you. I watch enough film on this team you would think i was on the staff. I watch plenty of NFL Network (wife can back this up) they should hire me as an insider. I watched the bill Polian segment when he gave praise to TT i also read the SI article and so??? should we give TT a cookie or what? just because 1 GM thinks so doesn't mean all of them agree...excuse me 1 former GM.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) Datone Jones looked very impressive early in training camp.
B) He injured his ankle and was slow coming back.
C) Bruce Irvin had a year under his belt and should produce more than a rookie
D) If Jones STILL outperformed him - playing through a similar injury - then he must be a much better draft pick

As far as your other point, please explain the reasoning why adding veteran FA DEs has an impact on who was a better draft pick. If anything, that is a indication that Jones is even better. Irvin having more talent around him; playing on a more successful defense; he should have the opportunity to perform better. Right?

Not really? More talent around him means less snaps right? and less snaps mean less sacks, tackles, and PT Is that correct? Bruce Irvin could come to Green Bay and probably be our second best defensive player right away.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be shocked if Irvin had fewer snaps than Jones. Considering irvin is only a pass rush specialist having fewer sacks isn't good. Also it is way easier to accumulate sacks as a dlineman in a 4-3 compared to a 3-4. Jones has shown plenty of potential, more than Daniels as a rookie.

Members online

Latest posts