Good Article on the Defense

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"For now, though, the Packers are giving up big yards but winning with turnovers and red-zone stops. There’s reason to wonder whether that eventually will bite them against a good team in a big game. "

I believe it will. We're going to have to get a bump in terms of guys like Williams,
Peprah, and Walden playing better, and help from guys that have been injured such as Neal, So'oto and Zombo.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
It is like a bend but don't break defense. Fortunately last week the offense finally decided they didn't have to give it to the defense to win a game.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. Does not seem like a dramatic difference so far in opposing QB rating. Still in the 70's. Aaron is way up though compared to last year. Shows to me, he is the MVP this year so far.
There, the Packers aren’t as good as they were seven games into 2010, when opposing quarterbacks had a rating of only 72.6. But at 79.3 this year, they still rank a notable No. 9 in the league.
“The formula for us right now is, as long as our quarterback continues to play the way he is, and if we can keep our (opponent’s) quarterback rating down into the 70s,” defensive coordinator Dom Capers said this week. “Aaron (Rodgers) right now is (125.7 points). That’s a pretty good differential. So I think that’s a winning formula.”
Just for comparison, Rodgers’ passer rating last year after seven games was 89.0, a 16.4-point differential from opponents, and the Packers were 4-3. This year, with a 46.4-point differential, they’re 7-0.

More on the D
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/gnb/report

Dom Capers wasn't planning to go back to the drawing board this week, but the detailed and ambitious defensive coordinator has some proverbial fires to put out with the players out of sight for the team's bye.
The Packers are the league's premier team with a 7-0 record, but Capers isn't thrilled that his unit has been vulnerable to giving up substantial chunks of yardage.
"The biggest challenge and biggest area of focus over the bye week here is we've got to give up fewer big plays," Capers told reporters Monday, before the players were excused for the rest of the week.
The Packers will return to work next Monday with a scheduled practice ahead of their Nov. 6 game at the AFC West-leading San Diego Chargers.
"You've all heard me say before that if we don't give up big plays, we'll be hard to score against," Capers added. "When we give up big plays, it normally results into points on the board."
Capers was lamenting six explosive plays of at least 24 yards the defense allowed to a Minnesota Vikings offense that had rookie quarterback Christian Ponder as a first-time starter Sunday.
Half of those were huge runs by Adrian Peterson, including one for 54 yards as he finished with 175 yards in 24 carries. The other three long-gainers came on passes thrown by Ponder, highlighted by a 72-yard deep ball to receiver Michael Jenkins on a coverage lapse by cornerback Tramon Williams on the first play of the game.
"I think it's a number of things," Capers said. "It's a little breakdown here or there. That's all it takes. The very first play, we're in a three-deep zone, and they run an out-and-up on us. We just weren't very good technique-wise on that play.
"The cutback run (by Peterson) for 54 yards on us, we had three missed tackles. We knew going in that Peterson could make you look bad because he's such an explosive guy."
Although the Packers have allowed 288.9 passing yards per game, ranking 31st out of 32 teams, and are 27th in giving up an average of 391 total yards per contest, Capers can take some solace in that his struggling defense has been resilient.
Green Bay is allowing an average of just 20.1 points per game, ranking it 10th. Better yet, the Packers have a league-high 13 interceptions and are tied with the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets for the top spot with 16 takeaways.
"We're leading the league in takeaways, which has always been a staple of our defense," Capers said. "If you can win the takeaway-giveaway (ratio), I think that gives you a winning formula. We've got a lot of things to work on. We're not where we want to be. I think we can improve in a lot of areas.
"Our bye week comes at a good time for us on defense. We'll step back, look things over and know we have a tough stretch when we come back here and work in another week."

Latest posts