Gone, but not forgotten

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of people here are sort of over the whole Brett Favre saga, but here is an interesting story, not only about Favre, but also Kareem and Paul Molitor, who also left pro teams in Wisconsin because of differences with the front office. The story also talks about Robin Yount & Hank Aaron as well.

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=6007

ksios

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article says it all. Thanks for posting the link. I hope time will mend all wounds.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same goes for a great deal of the greats in all of sports. It's hard to stay with the same team your whole career unless it is something you set out as a priority.

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought it was a big deal it happens with almost everyone. Look at Joe Montana and even Jerry Rice they will always be 49ers

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in another post, and as Adam Schefter put it on NFL.com the next day (me first LOL), in a few years no one will remember he was e Jet! He'll be a Packer forever.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're just like all the rest & that makes it OK. Woo Hoo!

Cold, calculated & cruel. That's what being a modern GM is about. High-Five!

#4 took pay cuts throughout his career for the good of the team. He deserved better than this.

He played through heartbreak, pain & misery. He deserved better than this.

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is one Packer fan that isn't grateful to #4 for what he's done for the team. But the Packers did a lot for him, too. They waited his retire/stay decisions for many of the last offseason periods...sometimes he made his mind ridiculously near the start of the season. But it was fine, because he was the man. Don't get me wrong, it's fair, those years I was always praying for him to come back all summer long, as was every fan. What I'm trying to say it's just that it's unfair to say the team "betrayed" him. He tested their patience for a long time...and then the last year, that was really too much.

But still ,he's my all time favourite, no doubt.

Hey,isn't this turning into another Favre topic? LOL mine was just an answer to dougsheltz.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eclipse612 said:
I don't think there is one Packer fan that isn't grateful to #4 for what he's done for the team. But the Packers did a lot for him, too. They waited his retire/stay decisions for many of the last offseason periods...sometimes he made his mind ridiculously near the start of the season. But it was fine, because he was the man. Don't get me wrong, it's fair, those years I was always praying for him to come back all summer long, as was every fan. What I'm trying to say it's just that it's unfair to say the team "betrayed" him. He tested their patience for a long time...and then the last year, that was really too much.

But still ,he's my all time favourite, no doubt.

Hey,isn't this turning into another Favre topic? LOL mine was just an answer to dougsheltz.

I think it's unfair to say #4 is the one who should be faulted for waiting to decide his own fate each year. The media are the ones who kept the story alive week after week, month after month & year after year. #4 downplayed nearly all the hype while the off-seasons progressed. Unscrupulous media members tried to turn charity events into special scoop sessions designed to get the first word on #4's intentions for the upcoming season. #4 would politely decline to comment, trying to keep on topic & not make it about himself. Then that spurned journalist would submit some junk story about #4 holding the Packers hostage & purposely delaying his decision to glorify his own name. Too bad many, many people bought into those smear attempts.

Also I don't ever recall a decision for him to return coming later than mini-camp, which is well before training camp, usually right after the draft.

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He ruined his legacy IMO. I'll not easily forget his antics this last year. I'm 100% fine with no more Favre on my TV.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RyanMegaphors said:
He ruined his legacy IMO. I'll not easily forget his antics this last year. I'm 100% fine with no more Favre on my TV.
this is because you are not a true packer fan

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
I think it's unfair to say #4 is the one who should be faulted for waiting to decide his own fate each year. The media are the ones who kept the story alive week after week, month after month & year after year. #4 downplayed nearly all the hype while the off-seasons progressed. Unscrupulous media members tried to turn charity events into special scoop sessions designed to get the first word on #4's intentions for the upcoming season. #4 would politely decline to comment, trying to keep on topic & not make it about himself. Then that spurned journalist would submit some junk story about #4 holding the Packers hostage & purposely delaying his decision to glorify his own name. Too bad many, many people bought into those smear attempts.
Yes, exactly. They harrassed him in golf events, for Christ's sake! But you can't blame only the media. Not all viewers are intelligent enough to separate good media from papparazzi. That's why they keep selling that crap. If there isn't any spectators of the whole Favre drama every year, they wouldn't notice. Im kinda being hipocrite, because I wanted to know every time if he was retiring or not, but it was just too much...
And also, you got to blame us, fans, too. He should have retired 5 years ago. But we couldn't live without him. He played for us, and thank God he played well, even at his age and having those medical issues...
It's really unfair to blame ONLY on Favre, you have to blame the fans and mostly the media too. But he has a part too...

Members online