Give Flynn a chance now

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Flynn, Wallace or Tolzien or anywhere close to Rodgers. Change?? Yeah well I change my underwear everyday and sometimes I see the same $hit... literally. The answer in the short term(and long term for that matter) is for the Packers as a whole to grow a bigger set. This team has gotten use to Rodgers carrying them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time Flynn was playing for the Packers, he threw for 500 yards and 5 TDs against the Lions - notorious for having a terrible pass defense. He also had all the WR/TE weapons at his disposal - Jennings, Jordy, JJ, DD, and JMike (I believe).

Since then - which is incredibly important and for some reason you refuse to acknowledge - he was given a huge signing bonus by the Seahawks and still lost out to a rookie. He was cut the year after. He went to Oakland on another decent contract and lost out to Pryor, another rookie (not necessarily true, but true for our purposes). He was cut mid-season by a team that has an unknown rookie backup. He went to a tryout with the Bills who had lost at least two, if not three, QBs by that point and wasn't signed. There's a reason for all of this - he's not as good as that one game leads you to believe.

One game in 2011 doesn't make the player. What's followed has essentially proven that. If he's not good enough to beat out Tarvarres as the backup in Seattle, some unknown rookie backup in Oak, or even worth a signing in Buffalo who was desperate for a QB, why is he good enough to rescue our season?

I'll kill all this noise by saying this...sometimes you are only as good as your resources.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the defense showing so little the past couple weeks, I think our chances of making a playoff run depend on Rodgers coming back. IMO, the best thing that can come out of this whole injury debacle is that the Packers find a long-term solution at backup QB.

I think Tolzein represents the best option in that regard. He's younger than Flynn and has no history of tendinitis. In limited action, he passes the eye test but must learn to avoid big mistakes. I believe Tolzien can get better with more time on the roster and I expect we can keep him around for a few years. I say test drive him for as long as this Rodgers injury permits.

I haven't seen enough from Flynn since 2011 to think he really improves our chances after just a week or two back with the team. Basically, I'm more intrigued by the limited upside of a relatively unknown quantity like Tolzien than a retread that has lost his luster in Flynn. (Sorry, Matt.)

Last edited:

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will have two weeks under his belt and already knows the offense...look Tolzien did some good things but we won't win with him. He has all the physical tools but he just throws to many dang ints. You can't do that with a bad defense then expect for them to bail you out. Tolzien may be the beckup of the future but he's not ready to lead yet..now if we had no chance to still win the division i would be like mise well let the guy play and get comfortable.. but we still have a chance, and when Flynn did play i didn't see him throwing picks but touchdown passes.

There are questions about the health of Matt Flynn's elbow and possibly shoulder on his throwing arm. If this is the case it would be beyond stupid to put him in a full game situation, even for one game. Until the health of his arm is known a backup or when Aaron gets back Emergency only QB role is best right now. IF the arm is healthy, I agree with the original poster, if not, NO WAY do I want Flynn in the game.

16ga

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
too many people think out backups should play like a star. yes flynn did good for us in the past but if we was as good as some people seem to think he'd be starting for someone else. tolzien is our qb for now. giving the situation im really not worried about his preformance so far. flynn wont play unless tolzien goes down and i dontvwant to see us lose another qb.

bear7625

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzein and Flynn are not the answer. ST and D have to step forward and prove they want to win!

CW21NumeroUno

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to tell u the truth, i dont Rodgers back unless his collarbone is fully healed and not jeopardizing his career if he gets hit again. Look, i understand its hard not to see the packers in the playoffs but to be honest, with this D, we will just see another one and done and IMO,rushing Rodgers back just to make the playoffs with not much hope of winning it all isnt worth it. We need to beef up this D.

Members online

Latest posts