Give Flynn a chance now

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will have two weeks under his belt and already knows the offense...look Tolzien did some good things but we won't win with him. He has all the physical tools but he just throws to many dang ints. You can't do that with a bad defense then expect for them to bail you out. Tolzien may be the beckup of the future but he's not ready to lead yet..now if we had no chance to still win the division i would be like mise well let the guy play and get comfortable.. but we still have a chance, and when Flynn did play i didn't see him throwing picks but touchdown passes.

NY06

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be the third starting QB the past couple of weeks.
The best thing to do is stick with the kid Tolzien, the offense can't have a different QB every other week and expect to succeed at this level.
Just ride it out till Rodgers comes back. And Flynn has been on the market for the past two seasons for good reason.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be the third starting QB the past couple of weeks.
The best thing to do is stick with the kid Tolzien, the offense can't have a different QB every other week and expect to succeed at this level.
Just ride it out till Rodgers comes back. And Flynn has been on the market for the past two seasons for good reason.

But Tolzien has had nearly two FULL games to prove himself and he's got what? 5 int's with 0 touchdown passes to show for it? i know it's hard to win in this league and normally i would agree but this is a unique situation to where as Flynn has been here and knows the offense. It would be different if he was just some guy that was wet behind the ears and had to learn everything but this is different.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, the guy that was cut by two franchises over the past two seasons and not picked up by the Bills - when their rookie QB was injured - is the savior. Come on. He's a nice backup for us in case something happens to Tolzein. But, he's not the savior.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually didnt think he looked that bad yesterday. i was happy to see them let him sling it around a little bit. 2 bad passes, i don't really fault him for the JPP one, 99% of the time that's just a batted down pass, all the credit to JPP there.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His passing yards look good but he's thrown some killing *** picks including three yesterday. One of which was for a TD. Not good!!

Last edited:

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Tolzien has had nearly two FULL games to prove himself and he's got what? 5 int's with 0 touchdown passes to show for it? i know it's hard to win in this league and normally i would agree but this is a unique situation to where as Flynn has been here and knows the offense. It would be different if he was just some guy that was wet behind the ears and had to learn everything but this is different.
5 ints and 1 TD. Tolzien is doing well enough, for gods sake two weeks ago at this time he was on the practice squad and five days latter against the Eagles he was thrown in and did well enough, better than well 70% completion rate? And unlike Wallace he likes to run the other way for big sacks, Tol has been sacked once. Yesterday 24/39 for 339 yrds averaging 10 yards per play. And guess what until he came to the Packers he hadn't taken not even one NFL snap during the regular season, talk about being thrown into a unfamiliar environment.His accuracy just needs some work, so that he throws to his team not the other.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone please help me understand what makes people think Flynn is the guy?? He had one good game three years ago and hasn't shown anything since. Beat out by rookies on two teams, and cut by three in less than half a season. He may be a good back up but I am missing the whole "savior" thing. Personally, I think the kid (Tolzien) is our best bet for now.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Give him a chance. Those INT is what killed us past 2 weeks.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone please help me understand what makes people think Flynn is the guy?? He had one good game three years ago and hasn't shown anything since. Beat out by rookies on two teams, and cut by three in less than half a season. He may be a good back up but I am missing the whole "savior" thing. Personally, I think the kid (Tolzien) is our best bet for now.

To be fair he did lose out to Russel Wilson. In Seattle. Wilson is basting right now.

Also maybe Flynn skills only work in some systems. He played good under our system. Look at Matt Casel. He did pretty good for that year with the Pats then faded sense.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, the guy that was cut by two franchises over the past two seasons and not picked up by the Bills - when their rookie QB was injured - is the savior. Come on. He's a nice backup for us in case something happens to Tolzein. But, he's not the savior.

Nobody said he's the savior man..we just need to stay in the race until Rodgers comes back and the last time i saw Flynn in a Packers uniform he broke some records. I don't care what happned once he left Green Bay so stop bringing that up to me.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We will revisit this post once the Packers are officially eliminated from the playoffs with Tolzien throwing drive killing int's. Then i'll listen to his supporters kill the guy.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody said he's the savior man..we just need to stay in the race until Rodgers comes back and the last time i saw Flynn in a Packers uniform he broke some records. I don't care what happned once he left Green Bay so stop bringing that up to me.

Last time Flynn was playing for the Packers, he threw for 500 yards and 5 TDs against the Lions - notorious for having a terrible pass defense. He also had all the WR/TE weapons at his disposal - Jennings, Jordy, JJ, DD, and JMike (I believe).

Since then - which is incredibly important and for some reason you refuse to acknowledge - he was given a huge signing bonus by the Seahawks and still lost out to a rookie. He was cut the year after. He went to Oakland on another decent contract and lost out to Pryor, another rookie (not necessarily true, but true for our purposes). He was cut mid-season by a team that has an unknown rookie backup. He went to a tryout with the Bills who had lost at least two, if not three, QBs by that point and wasn't signed. There's a reason for all of this - he's not as good as that one game leads you to believe.

One game in 2011 doesn't make the player. What's followed has essentially proven that. If he's not good enough to beat out Tarvarres as the backup in Seattle, some unknown rookie backup in Oak, or even worth a signing in Buffalo who was desperate for a QB, why is he good enough to rescue our season?

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he's thrown 5 INTs & 0 TDs but I say give the guy another chance. IMO we must win out to win our div hopefully Rodgers will be back for the Lions. I'd hate for that to be his first game back as our OL needs some help in protecting the QB. Of course MM might be pullin a trick & if AR is good to go then play him & surprise the Vikings.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you gotta stick with Tolzien. Tossing in yet another qb at this point would just create more chaos and not really give us any better of a chance to win.

Whatever they decide to do I'll support it and hope for the best.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually didnt think he looked that bad yesterday. i was happy to see them let him sling it around a little bit. 2 bad passes, i don't really fault him for the JPP one, 99% of the time that's just a batted down pass, all the credit to JPP there.
I have to admit that was an awesome heads up play.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've seen and what little I know of just being a casual fan here's what I think based on observations.

We are throwing in a rookie QB. And we cannot win with a rookie QB.
Our best chance would have been with an uninjured Wallace or with Flynn.
Put in someone who has had a few years or games already under his belt.
It takes a rookie QB a few games to get adjusted and comfortable to where he can start winning.
These games are just too crucial for taking those gambles.
There is no guarantee that Flynn will win it for us but I think that he and Wallace and Young give us a much better chance at winning than Tolzein does.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 ints and 1 TD. Tolzien is doing well enough, for gods sake two weeks ago at this time he was on the practice squad and five days latter against the Eagles he was thrown in and did well enough, better than well 70% completion rate? And unlike Wallace he likes to run the other way for big sacks, Tol has been sacked once. Yesterday 24/39 for 339 yrds averaging 10 yards per play. And guess what until he came to the Packers he hadn't taken not even one NFL snap during the regular season, talk about being thrown into a unfamiliar environment.His accuracy just needs some work, so that he throws to his team not the other.
Just curious.
Do you think that BrINT Farve is overrated?
I do.
He blew more of the big games for us then winning them.
And he holds the record for the most fumbles in the NFL.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just posted in the Flynn sticky, then saw this. In a rare showing of unity, I'm with Rodell on this one.

Tolzien has shown enough to be a backup given the practice time and opportunity to learn the offense. I really look forward to what he can do for GB in 2014. What he hasn't shown is any ability to score points.

We can all like the kid. Heck, I like the kid. But we need a QB to score points and win the next game (or two) for us until Rodgers returns. Tolzien needs time to marinate and we don't have it. If we were without Rodgers for the rest of the season, I'd be onboard 100% with letting Tolzien continue to play.

We need one win. Flynn might be a better shot. He's the only backup on our roster that has won games for us. I also don't buy the argument a few have floated that another QB "messes with our offense." Are you kidding me? This isn't college. We aren't talking about changing offensive schemes or coordinators. All 10 other guys on the offense know what they are doing. It's our QBs who haven't been performing. You can't get much worse than the 5INTs to 1TD ratio. Stats are nice and show promise for the future, but completion % means nothing when you can't score points and win games.

Bring us some Matt Flynn

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien is starting.
I hope that MM does the right thing by having him throw the ball more if the run gets stopped again.
If Tolzien is doing bad then I hope that he puts in Flynn.
One INT is one too many.
And if Tolzien is still in when playing badly then hopefully fans will start chanting and calling, "Put in Flynn!!!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts