Giants might repeat

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Since the divisions got re-aligned in 2002, no team that has played the AFC West entirely has ever won the SB. Raiders were the last one to make it having played the AFC West and they lost. Packers played the AFC West this year. Pats are the second team to make the SB for a team that played the AFC West entirely since 2002 and they lost.

But the Pats had the NFC East factor going for them - a team that played the NFC East or from the NFC East has won the SB since 2006. Colts in 2006, Giants in 2007 vs Pats (who also played the NFC East), Pitt in 2008 vs Cardinals (who also played the NFC East), Saints in 2009, Packers in 2010 all fit the pattern.
Note that when the NFC East factor applies to both teams, it is a dog fight in the SB till the end.

That is why I felt the 49ers/Giants winner could be the likely winner in the SB since they did not have the AFC West factor against them but had the NFC East factor going for them.

Now going into next year who plays the NFC East? The AFC North, the NFC East plays each other obviously and the NFC South. BUT, the NFC South plays the AFC West too. The AFC North also plays the AFC West.

By default the NFC East might take the SB title again.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
BTW this NFC East/AFC West thing is a formula a buddy of mine has used over the last several years in preseason to predict the SB. I often shrugged it off but it gets spooky.

If a team who does not play the East makes the SB they lose.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well that seals the deal. The next SB winner will be playing the AFC West this year. Takes out the NFC North.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Well that seals the deal. The next SB winner will be playing the AFC West this year. Takes out the NFC North.

No the next SB winner cannot play the West.

Only the NFC East can survive then!!!!

Of course maybe the Saints can break the curse of the AFC West.

Packers fans, just joking too. The Packers can break all this (if they play defense).

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I'm biast in saying that the Green Bay Packers will win SB XVLII. We can rule out the Saints as no team has ever played in a SB that was hosted by their city. I believe Ray Lewis & Brady both will not return to another SB. Rodgers will win at least 1 if not 2 more SBs.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
We will see how powerful the NFC East is next year. Patterns can be broken.

My buddy who is into these trends is high on the Eagles.

And if Peyton gets on the Skins? Who knows.......

I agree the Saints have a large curse on them. The SB host curse. Plus teams don't seem to repeat as NFC South Champs. But, the Saints did break a few curses in 2009 so who knows.

My buddy is high on the Packers as the next NFC team outside of the NFC East love feast.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles and the Cowboys will both be better or and will compete with the Giants next year. Chances of the Giants repeating ain't that good, not with NO, GB and SF out there, plus the competition in the NFC East. I'd say chances are pretty low.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Eagles and the Cowboys will both be better or and will compete with the Giants next year. Chances of the Giants repeating ain't that good, not with NO, GB and SF out there, plus the competition in the NFC East. I'd say chances are pretty low.

All the patterns are on the sides right now of the NFC East teams for next season, sadly. Unless someone can break a pattern.

My friend and I go back and forth on patterns a lot. A lot of times I say "no way" but it can get spooky.

There might be a few teams from the NFC East to make the playoffs next year. BUT, the Giants actually look to be the best bet to repeat since the Pats of the last decade IF they continue to improve on defense. I don't see them falling off a cliff on D like the Packers did a year after a title right now.

In terms of a hangover though, I have to wonder. The Giants only won 9 regular season games. The odds are they should be able to win over 9 and get back to the playoffs. Last time they beat the Pats in the SB they followed it up with the first seed in the NFC with a jump in regular season wins. The Eagles broke their hearts though in the playoffs preventing what I felt might be a Big Ben vs. Eli SB.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The wildcat in this mix that could rip that pattern up is your boy Peyton, Jules. Mark my words, 50% odds that if he ends up on any team next year it will be the SF 49ers. If he's healthy and that happens, 49ers will immediately become the favorites to win the SB.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
If the Packers defense is ranked 32nd again, it won't matter if it's New Orleans or New York, they absolutely will not make it to the Super Bowl with a defense that horrible as it was this season. They proved that in the playoffs. To win a Super Bowl, it's going to take more than elite offense.

Realistically, part of the reason they went 15-1 was the weak schedule...but even with an easier schedule, they struggled in games that should have easily been decided, teams that didn't even make the playoffs. I'm glad they have a tougher schedule this season, so next time they surrender 450 yards a game, maybe they'll try to fix the defense.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The wildcat in this mix that could rip that pattern up is your boy Peyton, Jules. Mark my words, 50% odds that if he ends up on any team next year it will be the SF 49ers. If he's healthy and that happens, 49ers will immediately become the favorites to win the SB.
I know things can change but I don't see Peyton going to the 49ers.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

I can't even imagine the amount of bandwagon fans the Niners would pick up if they got Peyton:unsure: . Peyton fans plus old school Colts Harbaugh fans would all be drooling.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If the Packers defense is ranked 32nd again, it won't matter if it's New Orleans or New York, they absolutely will not make it to the Super Bowl with a defense that horrible as it was this season. They proved that in the playoffs. To win a Super Bowl, it's going to take more than elite offense.

Realistically, part of the reason they went 15-1 was the weak schedule...but even with an easier schedule, they struggled in games that should have easily been decided, teams that didn't even make the playoffs. I'm glad they have a tougher schedule this season, so next time they surrender 450 yards a game, maybe they'll try to fix the defense.

No. They won't. Which is why we need a weekly prayer circle for the Packers D in hopes that it makes a solid rise in rankings next year.

Of course if you are a team who has a bad ranking but is getting injured players back it can be an excuse. Like the 2006 Colts with Bob Sanders out for most of the year and coming back healthy for the playoffs. This years Giants who got healthy at the right time on D with many guys ailing all year off and on.

The Packers super man on D was never waiting to get healthy was he?:(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts