Giants at Lambeau for the playoffs in 2012?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
And what you seen tonight is why it's more realistic the Giants make it over the ******* overrated Eagles that everyone is so scared of.

Speaking of the Niners, oh boy they have a tough schedule coming up. New York, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, even if they lose all 3 of those games, they are still a playoff team.

You have to think about the NFC West, this is what it looks like

Niners 7-1
Seaducks 2-6
Cardinals 2-6
Lambs 1-7

As you can see, they have zero competition for the division title, those teams are out of it. It is possible that one may give them a hard fought match up since divisional games are usually close regardless the record, but if the 49ers were to finish 12-4, and win all 6 of their division games, I have to say that's a cake walk schedule when the only 2 playoff caliber teams they have played so far is the Bengals and Lions (Eagles don't count because I doubt they will win 10 games at this point).

The hardest teams left on the 49ers schedule is the Giants, Ravens, and Steelers. Even if they drop a loss in all 3 of those games, they still have it made to go 12-4 on a weak schedule and wrap up the #2 seed in the playoffs.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. The Niners have more wins than the rest of the division combined. It truly is the NFC Worst.

But as I just pointed out in this thread, the Giants are already 2-1 against the NFCW and will likely be 2-2 after this weekend. That's really not so good against the worst division in football. And as I stated before they only beat lowly Miami by 3. That SUCKS.
OK, they beat the Pats... but the Pats have the worst D in the League! #32. Without Brady the Pats would be no better than... the Colts.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
And as I stated before they only beat lowly Miami by 3. That SUCKS.

So? Different opponents. Different matchups. That game was won by the Giants and it was close but I am not sure I would use it to put them down for the rest of the season.

It happens.It looked to me almost like the Giants were sleep walking coming off the bye week.

Then again these Giants are tough to figure out. They tend to play their best in the 4th quarter. Eli has been Mr. 4th quarter this season so far.

If the Giants can keep it relatively low scoring even if they struggle against the Niners they have a great shot to steal it in the 4th quarter.

Against a team like GB who often gets ahead so fast and can score in bunches the Giants will have their biggest test of the season.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't see the Niners beating the Giants, I just don't unless it really does happen.

Had Washington had a good quarterback the other day, they probably could have put up a better fight against the Niners, but John Beck is a bust, as is Rex Grossman, so I wasn't shocked at the out come.

Down the road they are going to lose some games like they did against Dallas. That Defense is impressive, but their offense is going to start playing tougher games, then we will know for sure if Alex Smith is a clutch quarterback reborn or not.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps I am over thinking this now but ATM I can see how the Niners win at home.

The Giants weakness on defense is the run defense. The Pats IMO did not stick to the run and instead decided to let Brady AGAIN throw it too much. I hate the Pats playcalling btw. If the Pats ran the ball a lot more they might have had a better chance to win this game earlier.If the Niners can consistently run the ball on the Giants and keep the Giants pass rush neutralized at times they can control the clock. And based on how the 49ers are they will stick to the run.

Also, the Giants offense does not run the ball very well either. The Niners can stop the run. So this is another game that may have to come down to Eli Manning being the hero.

Maybe I am talking myself into like the 49ers in this game? lol I'll see in a few days.

I just am starting to wonder if this is a repeat of the Lions/49ers. A pass happy team who has issues running the ball with a great pass rush with a D who can't stop the run.

The Packers though are a different beast. By far the scariest passing attack in the league and they can run the ball if need be, plus a mobile QB. And on defense they have issues with the pass but they can hold running games IMO.

I still maintain that the NFC is better. Beating the Pats is nice but might not be as difficult as it used to be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And what you seen tonight is why it's more realistic the Giants make it over the ******* overrated Eagles that everyone is so scared of.

Speaking of the Niners, oh boy they have a tough schedule coming up. New York, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, even if they lose all 3 of those games, they are still a playoff team.

You have to think about the NFC West, this is what it looks like

Niners 7-1
Seaducks 2-6
Cardinals 2-6
Lambs 1-7

As you can see, they have zero competition for the division title, those teams are out of it. It is possible that one may give them a hard fought match up since divisional games are usually close regardless the record, but if the 49ers were to finish 12-4, and win all 6 of their division games, I have to say that's a cake walk schedule when the only 2 playoff caliber teams they have played so far is the Bengals and Lions (Eagles don't count because I doubt they will win 10 games at this point).

The hardest teams left on the 49ers schedule is the Giants, Ravens, and Steelers. Even if they drop a loss in all 3 of those games, they still have it made to go 12-4 on a weak schedule and wrap up the #2 seed in the playoffs.

That is how the Packers of the early 2000 were in the playoffs..

Other division opps sucked, and they had easy schedules..Then when they got to p/o hey had to deal with teams that were better...

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't speak to individual match-ups as don't pay close enough attention to individual play. I tend to look at the big picture of how a team is playing and the big stats.

The Giants have the 25th rated D against the run. You can bet the Niners, rated #6 in rushing, will be running hard as it's their strength. Their running game will consume the clock giving Eli and company relatively little time on offense.

The Giants D is rated 17th against the pass. Not great but not bad... average. The Niner passing game is rated 30th. Not very good as far as total yardage goes but their not being picked off so a short passing game, which has been their MO all season is to be expected. The Niner O generally splits their play calling about 50/50 between run vs. pass. Of the 18 TDs scored on offense, 8 were rushing TDs while 10 were passing.

On the other hand, the Niners D is rated #1 against the run and #22 against the pass so it's safe to assume that Eli will need to pass the ball to win. The Niners have allowed 11 passing TDs this season and ZERO rushing TDs. And with the limited time the Giants will have on the field, they'll need to score on every drive. Turnovers and stalled drives will kill them.

The Niners are 8th in total points scored at 206 while the Giants are 13th at 198. Pretty close but I would venture to say that the Niner running game will be far more effective than the Giants passing game. Especially at the end of the game as the Giants D gets tired.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just depends on who's #3 and #4...

I don't want to jinx the Pack, but #1 and 2 are looking pretty predictable (GB and SF respectively). Would be awesome if NYG gets the #3 seed

Here's how I see it....

Bye: #1 Packers and #2 49ers
WC: #3 Saints vs. #6 Lions, and #4 Giants vs. #5 Falcons
Divisional: #1 Packers vs. #3 Saints, and #2 49ers vs. #5 Falcons
Conference: #1 Packers vs. #2 49ers

Ergo, I doubt we play the Giants, but if the Saints have more Rams-esque games, it would be a possibility, but I think in that case we'd end up playing the Lions.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, I simply want to face SF just because my ******* friend won't shut up about them being better than the Packers. He just doesn't seem to realize that you beat the Packers with an amazing offense, because and amazing defense does not hold water against the Pack.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah I am taking the 49ers over G men right now. Thought about it too much and the run defense of the Giants still scares me. And the Niners never give up on the run and will gash them there and the Niners can stop the run and Eli will get his biggest test defensively yet. The run D for the Giants is the X factor of this game and if they can keep the Niners from controlling the tempo. Eli has been clutch this year but I still have to see him do it against a better D. Some of the Pats defensive players are horrible.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah... see, that's the only time I would give the Niners the edge playing GB in the NFCCG. Their defense and running game is just built better for playing in the ice and snow. Bad weather will take much of the Pack's passing game away and their running game will not beat the Niner D.

The Saints are a pass only team with no D. They would be much easier for the Pack to beat in the snow.

Was thinking more about this. This is what a smart Pats fan I know on another forum said about the situation:

I've actually heard the opposite. Playing in winter conditions, assuming you're not talking about 40 mph winds, can help a passing game for a couple of reasons:

1. DBs do not know what routes receivers are running and cannot cut as quickly as they can on a dry surface. The footing is just not good enough. Even a fraction of a second's delay can give a receiver the separation he needs.

2. Pass rushers, similarly, cannot get good footing. It's a lot easier to stay in one place a block a guy than it is to dig in and bull rush someone when your feet keep slipping.

3. Teams that are not used to playing in snow and icy conditions and cold are typically very intimidated by it. I went to the October game in 2009 when the Patriots smacked the Titans 59-0 and Brady threw 5 TDs in one quarter (and six overall). He had a field day because he's been there, done that, and a lot of the Tennessee players were probably playing in those conditions for the first time in their careers.

Obviously there are also disadvantages. Wind, slick footballs, etc. But you can mitigate those factors pretty easily.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a reasonable theory, Jules. Bad footing effects everyone and reaction times are the difference.
I'm not entirely sure I agree with #3. But I've covered that already.
I don't know how you mitigate wind and slick footballs... other than by running and keeping the pass game short.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
That's a reasonable theory, Jules. Bad footing effects everyone and reaction times are the difference.
I'm not entirely sure I agree with #3. But I've covered that already.
I don't know how you mitigate wind and slick footballs... other than by running and keeping the pass game short.

It hurts both teams. I think many feel the Giants are this incredible matchup for GB with their pass rush and passing game. However this is essentially I think the same Giants D that got destroyed by GB last year in week 16. I am not sure I like the matchup right now?

I think many don't trust SF at times since they are new. With all the so called suprise teams in the league they are probably the ones who have the most lasting potential.

The longer this season goes on the more I think GB and then SF are the best two teams in the league. As strong as a few AFC teams sometimes look there is nobody that truly wows me yet.

I have had the argument with Colts fans over the Giants/Niners vs. GB and who I think could give them a tougher game. Most of them take NY while I take SF.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was scared of the Eagles, still scared of the Saints, Giants a little bit. I think we will be facing the Saints at Lambeau.

Members online

Latest posts