Giant sized studs and duds

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Studs:
um, er, ahem, uh. . . . nobody fumbled.
Mason didn't miss and actually made a decent 57 yard FG.
Tramon wasn't leaving people open and actually made a pick. Just one miscommunication with Burnett for a big gain.
Duds:
How come the middle of the defense is open so often? Play calling?
I'll excuse it for rookie mistakes but Tolzien was a lowlight this week. MM needs to let him go deep more often.
OL is forgetting how to run block again.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
STUD: Dom Capers for once again proving you can fool and organization all of the time, most of the time,and actually still keep your job and having a booth way up high to hide in and at no time having to show your face to reporters and fans:
Mason Crosby: finally took the choke collar off..
Myself: for still believing we have a chance at the playoffs.
Duds: with a extra dose os duffus, 1)D backs tram on played much better but Has to quick hooking up with Burnet, could be love don't know.2) MM (if you coach it you own it) 3)is there a such thing as a tackling coach? if so, he is a super dud..4)the QB Mr T, I watch him stare down receivers all the time PP's play should not have happened,why is he aDUD? 339 yds passing(good)..O TD's 3INT's..

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Studs
Not really anyone. Maybe Datone Jones? Lacy had some nice highlights. A couple nice catches by Boykin and Nelson. But, overall, no Packer was a studly performer throughout the game.

Duds
Not really anyone in particular stunk it up. Defense just overall isn't very good. Nor is the offense. O-line probably should be listed here.

I guess Tolzien should be named, though I feel for the kid. NY is a tough place to win for anyone, let alone a 1st start for a rookie. Lacy could also show up here, but he was running into a sea of blue jerseys all night long.

But, if I had to name someone, I would call out MM for not going for it on 4th and 2 late in the 4th quarter. By punting, he pretty much gave it up. Also, I am now a fan of axing DC. His scheme is clearly not working with the talent that the Packers have. Game after game, mediocre QBs look great and seemingly find wide open receivers too often. Maybe it is "players, not plays", but if the players are not executing, then the scheme needs to be adjusted to fit... Just my opinion.

My Summary
Overall, a bland game with no significant highlights or lowlights. Just two squads playing at a below average level and the home team won. My wife told me after the game that she didn't hear me yell much at the television so she assumed the Packers were winning... I told her that there wasn't much to be mad about: no bad calls, no horrible plays... just a struggling team playing ball in a losing effort.

There is still hope. But, part of me is starting to consider this a lost season. Maybe getting a higher draft pick so we can actually get better talent/playmakers on this team for Rodgers final ___ (?) seasons is in order...?

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My nomination for duds is Mike McCarthy.
Keeps on running the ball when the defense stops it cold and not letting more throws when they show that is the way to do it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
There is still hope. But, part of me is starting to consider this a lost season.
Yeah, that's how I'm feeling too.
You really cannot compare this to the 2010 season until we make it and win the SB again.
Right now, the way this "team" is playing I feel like it's over and out and just wait until next year.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I'm feeling too.
You really cannot compare this to the 2010 season until we make it and win the SB again.
Right now, the way this "team" is playing I feel like it's over and out and just wait until next year.
just remember what division we are in, if Seattle and San Fran were in our division it would look a little hopeless hopeless, but at 5-5 we can win the division, but I do not see a Aaron Rodgers return unless its a NFC championship game…...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just remember what division we are in, if Seattle and San Fran were in our division it would look a little hopeless hopeless, but at 5-5 we can win the division, but I do not see a Aaron Rodgers return unless its a NFC championship game…...
There is absolutely no hope without Rodgers.
We are getting our butts handed to us while the other teams are doing better.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse should get his usual dud spot back. I saw tuck in the backfield all day, especially on that last drive.

PFanCan

Reaction score
Newhouse should get his usual dud spot back. I saw tuck in the backfield all day, especially on that last drive.

Yeah, good point. I was thinking to myself that we oughta give Tuck a Green Bay RB jersey. I mean, as you say, he was in our backfield all day...

PFanCan

Reaction score

Melvin, you are correct.

I haven't given up ALL hope. 2010 could still happen again. I will cheer until the fat lady sings.

H

HardRightEdge

Newhouse has "dud" permanently tatooed on his a**. I think if we cut him (no, when we cut him) he'll be out of the league.

As much as we like Micah Hyde, Cruz schooled him in the first half.

The run blocking has been dismal the last two games. Last week Lacy made about 65 of his 75 yards after contact. Whatever yards he managed tonight were all after contact...there was no light to be found. Granted, these defenses are geared to making Tolzien beat them, but still...how about a little hole once in a while.

Burnett looks a little lost out there the last 2 games after a good start to the season.

Williams was a bright spot. Best closing and tackling we've seen out of him in a long time. House had a nice game playing for Shields...notice his name not being called much? That's always a good thing for a cover corner. Nice breakup on a ball in the end zone.

Brad Jones had a pretty decent game I thought...around the ball a lot and had a sack and a QB hit. Nice snap back from last week where he was slooooow to the play....probably shaking off rust . Still overpaid.

Nelson's becoming an every game stud. While watching DEN/KC I noticed Demaryius Thomas was a little slow on a back shoulder twist and the ball got by him. My immediate thought was, "Nelson would have made that catch". Nelson did drop an easy short one on a turn in (first play of the game?), but that was of little consequence.

Boykin continues to impress. Crafty guy.

I think they need to get Bostick the ball more often. He looks like he has decent hands and he's made good YAC on the few catches he's had.

There's no getting around the fact Crosby's 57 yarder was impressive. At the opening kickoff, they flashed his season touchback stats... 5 of 19. That's poor.

Tolzien's a stud for the +20 pass plays and a dud for the picks. A little blast from the past excitement right there.

All in all, the game was fairly even until the JPP pick. Up to that point the difference was they could run the ball some and the Packers not at all.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One bright spot I will say about Tolzien is 2 of his picks were poor decisions and that can be fixed. He undoubtedly has the best backup potential of any QB the Packers have had since Flynn. Hope McCarthy lets him sling it around and learn from his mistakes in the future.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to start off by saying i told ya so. Without Rodgers we are on the level of the Jaguars plain and simple except with different uniforms. We are not even good enough to beat the Queens even in lambeau where we have lost two straight..expecting a L next week to.

I love that some of you guy's are so "optimistic" but i'm "realistic" and that's not being negative or doging the team that's just keeping it real. We ain't that good folks...especially on defense. Rodgers and the offense covered for them so many times and now we see how bad they are. I was shocked they even had a takeaway yesterday. MM is a knucklhead playcaller..great locker room guy and players coach but he sucks as a playcaller plain and simple. He calls the same lame plays all the time and has failed to put a pkg together that would utilize the skillset of Franklin who coulda gave us a boost yesterday yet he was standing over on the sielines. Tolzien was in a little rythem yet MM calls the same lame toss sweep or iso play over and over..i just don't get this guy sometimes.

Capers has got to go period..i won't even get into how bad he is because it's a waste of time but his style of defense is garbage. Still runs wayy to much nickle smh..where is Lattimore? did Raji play yesterday? smh no excuses for this sorry flippin defense. Db's still running into eachother?? Burnett got a contract but how many impact plays has he made?? since he got paid? and got a fade? ZERO. I'm not expecting much from the offense so i won't even say how bad they look at times. I can say Tolzien reminds me alot of Kerry Collins. Big arm but throws to many interceptions because he stares down his wr's. Time to see what Flynn can do.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Caveat: listened on the radio rather than watched, so I may have missed some nuances.

Studs:
Crosby: Made a 57-yarder and a shorter one. Scored 7 of the Packers 13 points.
Nelson: Caught 8 of 9 for 117 yards.

Semi-studs:
Boykin: caught 6 of 8 for 91 yards.
Brad Jones: 11 solo tackles, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss
Tramon Williams: 1 pick, 8 solo tackles, 1 tackle for loss

Duds:
The offensive line: (Newhouse in particular.) Could not run block at all. Mediocre at best on pass block.

Tolzein. Yards are nice. Protecting the football and scoring points are nicer. He's got the arm strength, but there was obviously a good reason he was a practice squad player two weeks ago.

Capers: his scheme finally got some pressure on a quarterback, but the secondary is still unable to get stops when needed.

McCarthy: has been dealt a bad hand with the injuries, but hasn't been able to make lemonade out of lemons even once since Rodgers went down. Punted in fourth quarter on 4th and short with about ten minutes left. I knew it was over at that point, barring a miracle. Yes, he was in his own end, but the Packers were down by fourteen points. Punting it away meant they had to get an immediate stop (not likely based on the last few games) get the ball back and drive for a touchdown, then recover an onside and score another touchdown. Very low probability of success, even with Rodgers at the helm. No chance with Tolzein.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
1. Mason Crosby > Made his field goals, including a tough 57-yarder
2. Tramon Williams > Solid tackling, good interception
3. Mike Daniels > This guy has been disruptive all season long
4. Jordy Nelson > our best offensive player right now
5. Datone Jones > this guy is playing better every week
6. Jarett Boykin > solid game, this guy has a bright future

Duds:
1. Marshall Newhouse > just horrible, even by Newhouse his standards
2. BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett > where is this great run-stopping duo of the first weeks? we need them back!
4. Morgan Burnett and MD Jennings > safety has been problematic all season long, yesterday was no exception
6. Micah Hyde > not his best game,, was beaten several times

"Get-free-out-of-jail-pass" (Dave Damaschek's favorite quote)
Scott Tolzien > Some nice throws, but too many interceptions. But honestly, what do you expect from a 3rd string QB.

NY06

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say you guys had any duds.
It's not easy to win football games when your best player (Rodgers) is out.
Your team is built around him, and it has shown within the past couple of weeks.

I like what Lacy brings to your team, guy looks like a load to bring down. Could have a good future if he stays healthy.

We caught you guys at the right time, the football Gods have looked down on us and given us back up city at the most important position the past month.

Good luck the rest of the way.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As soon as i gave the secondary props they start sucking smh. I didn't even know Shields was hurt?? Burnett has taken a step backwards and MD Jennings? well he wouldn't be on anybody elses roster. We have got to find a stud safety.

Reaction score
Upon reading all these comments under this thread, I suppose I should feel blessed that the game was not aired in our area, although as a ritual, whenever I cannot view our games, I check in on the "CHAT" for the duration of the game which I did yesterday and lived/died vicariously through each of those participating who relayed the details at the conclusion of every down, be it either a prosperous (NOT been a majority of those of late) or an agonizing one and it sounded like it would have been another wasted two plus hours of extra heat burning up my plasma tv having to suffer through watching yet another lack-luster performance.

THREE missed opportunities now, to get wins against Chicago, Philly (both at home) and the Giants.....ALL three were very winable games despite having a backup QB. THREE lost opportunities that we desparately needed in Rodgers' absence! We're playing the horrible hand we've been dealt, but regardless, the players we have out there filling vacancies are PROFESSIONAL football players just as those who have been playing on a regular basis for years are, so WHEN does the time come when we shouldn't have to continue hearing the coach and players say in the post-game pressers: "Well, we just didn't do a good job at........or "We need to do a better job at........ and "We need to cut down on our mistakes" script? Rodgers or no Rodgers, the problems have been present all year on both sides of the ball. I didn't
even have to see the game yesterday to visualize in my mind the deficiencies occuring that I have witnessed in the games I have had the opportunity to watch this year.

For the love of God, when will the excuses stop and the remedies begin?

The problem with this team goes much deeper than the players on the filed, obviously.

Memmo to Head Coach MM: GET THESE PROBLEMS RESOLVED NOW......or we're toast, if we're not already:mad:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Studs:
1. Mason Crosby > Made his field goals, including a tough 57-yarder
2. Tramon Williams > Solid tackling, good interception
3. Mike Daniels > This guy has been disruptive all season long
4. Jordy Nelson > our best offensive player right now
5. Datone Jones > this guy is playing better every week
6. Jarett Boykin > solid game, this guy has a bright future

Duds:
1. Marshall Newhouse > just horrible, even by Newhouse his standards
2. BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett > where is this great run-stopping duo of the first weeks? we need them back!
4. Morgan Burnett and MD Jennings > safety has been problematic all season long, yesterday was no exception
6. Micah Hyde > not his best game,, was beaten several times

"Get-free-out-of-jail-pass" (Dave Damaschek's favorite quote)
Scott Tolzien > Some nice throws, but too many interceptions. But honestly, what do you expect from a 3rd string QB.

Was Raji actually on the field ??? I honestly never even noticed :eek:

NY06

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Raji actually on the field ??? I honestly never even noticed :eek:
I was worried about your big guys. Raji, Pickett and Jolly.
We giants fans are critical about our interior offensive line, Baas and Snee out we had to put Cordle and long time Giants Diehl at guard. And to my surprise they kept your big guys in check.

You guys did well with the stunts on the defensive line, why you guys didn't stick with that I have no idea.
Clay is also not 100%, due to a broken thumb. And even with a change of cast you can tell it still limits his play.

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NY06 trying to make this seem better than what it is. There is no way anyone is going to convince me the way our head coach is reacting to this swoon is a good thing. It makes me think that MM too believes he is not replaceable. I am starting to think that he may be a bit of a buffoon player coach, with a 30 million dollar qb. Nothing more and nothing less. If Capers is not released at seasons end, you season ticket holders should protest. The product we are seeing minus a big time qb is beyond a joke. These players are professionals, but you'd never know it the way they have laid down.

H

HardRightEdge

WHEN does the time come when we shouldn't have to continue hearing the coach and players say in the post-game pressers: "Well, we just didn't do a good job at........or "We need to do a better job at........ and "We need to cut down on our mistakes" script?:mad:

That's what coaches and players say after a loss. It's better than the alternative...finger pointing. When that starts you likely have a multi-year problem on your hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
MM I know we are all arm chair QB's and Posting coaches, but swallow a little PRIDE read a few posts or even post a thread to the Packer nation…( go balls to the wall MM) 4th down NAH go for it,make that Offense into point generating Beast, make the corners challenge at the line of scrimmage PUT YOUR HANDS UP D'lineman…prove everyone wrong with no mercy type play…C'mon MM clocks ticking…..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts