Giant Fan - Secondary Issues

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I can see the G men winning this game is if they run the ball TREMENDOUSLY well and control the clock like we did against Minnesota in Green Bay, something like 40/20. For that to happen though, we'd either have to be very very ineffective in the running game leading to quick 3 and outs or have like 4 turnovers and not produce any long drives...

NEEDLESS TO SAY...

Neither of these things will happen. Pack will prevail...for the 15th time this year.

Reaction score
Interesting:

In the session of practice open to the media, McCarthy loudly voiced his displeasure with how his offensive line was operating. At one point, McCarthy pulled left guard Daryn Colledge for a play after Colledge pass-blocked on a run.

"Obviously nobody's out there lollygagging for no reason," Colledge said. "We're all working hard, but he's trying to re-center the focus. He's trying to pinpoint that energy and get us all on the same page."

I hope that Colledge is just working the breakdowns out of his system. Looks like that was a mental mistake, which Colledge shouldn't make too many of as he is a pretty smart individual.

OP
OP
L

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is something you guys need to think about:

RB - Jacobs - 6 foot 4, 264 pounds
FB - Hedgecock - 6 foot 3, 266 pounds

Your LBers are very fast and very good. But they are also on the small side.

The best way to stop Jacobs is to hit him at the line or before he gets to the line as he takes a few steps to build up some speed. If the Giants can get a good push by the O-line it's going to be a long day for those LBers.

Mark my words, Jacobs will run over at least 1 linebacker in this game.

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of teams with relatively weak run defenses stopped Jacobs pretty well. I'm confident Packers can do the same.

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sick of Giants fans who think they will beat us with their defense. Even if all of your corners come back do you think they will play 100% healthy? So if you think that the corners are 100% ready if they are in the game you are crazy. I would love for the Giants to start the corners because they will play at 50% or slightly higher. The AMAZING seattle defense with PK who had 14 sacks got 0 sacks and 0 tackels. You guys will put up a good game and I wish you luck but you have very high expectations for what you will get out of your defense. Favre has been shredding the best pass defense's and Grant has shredded the best run defense's in the NFL. Our whole team is injury free ATM and are playing with even more intensity than the Giants. The Dallas Cowboys GAVE YOU A GAME and you came out a wounded dog. Your expectations are way too high and your team will have a very hard time against us.

OP
OP
L

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sick of Giants fans who think they will beat us with their defense. Even if all of your corners come back do you think they will play 100% healthy? So if you think that the corners are 100% ready if they are in the game you are crazy. I would love for the Giants to start the corners because they will play at 50% or slightly higher. The AMAZING seattle defense with PK who had 14 sacks got 0 sacks and 0 tackels. You guys will put up a good game and I wish you luck but you have very high expectations for what you will get out of your defense. Favre has been shredding the best pass defense's and Grant has shredded the best run defense's in the NFL. Our whole team is injury free ATM and are playing with even more intensity than the Giants. The Dallas Cowboys GAVE YOU A GAME and you came out a wounded dog. Your expectations are way too high and your team will have a very hard time against us.

I'm not saying its going to be a walk in the park. I'm saying the Packer fans who are calling for a blow out are over confident. I predict a close game, with the Giants winning by 3.

Grant is good, but the Giants can handle him. Barber rushed very well against the Giants and look what it got Dallas => a loss.

As for the secondary every Giant fan knows it is beat up... nobody expects Dockery to play, there is an 80% chance Madison will be out... and Ross will likely play with extra padding/arm restraint. We know they are not 100%.
This is the one area GB can exploit which is why it will be such a close game.

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny how you break it down as simply as "Giants will stop Grant." Your run defense isn't much better than ours. Also, you have to take into account the reason your run defense is so good is related to teams coming in with plans to pass against your weak secondary.

We will see.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is something you guys need to think about:

RB - Jacobs - 6 foot 4, 264 pounds
FB - Hedgecock - 6 foot 3, 266 pounds

Your LBers are very fast and very good. But they are also on the small side.

The best way to stop Jacobs is to hit him at the line or before he gets to the line as he takes a few steps to build up some speed. If the Giants can get a good push by the O-line it's going to be a long day for those LBers.

Mark my words, Jacobs will run over at least 1 linebacker in this game.

Barnett is the only smallish one, but that is fine for the current NFL. He's the same size as your MLB.

Hawk and Poppinga definitely aren't small for 4-3 OLBs.

OP
OP
L

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny how you break it down as simply as "Giants will stop Grant." Your run defense isn't much better than ours. Also, you have to take into account the reason your run defense is so good is related to teams coming in with plans to pass against your weak secondary.

We will see.

Grant has a good burst and makes great cuts. He could exploit a Giants defense that over pursues with his cut back. I just think the Giants will be ready for his cut back and will be able to contain him. Giants front 4 are not only great pass rushers but are strong against the run and LBers are better against the run then they are against the pass.

I hope Green Bay comes out trying to run the ball; I'm more worried about Farve and his quick strikes. If Farve is able to complete quick short passes consistently you won't need Grant to win.

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is still a guy similar to Adrian Peterson. Not saying he has that flashiness of AP, but he's one of the guys you can stop all game, and then he will bust out a 60 yard run. In fact, I believe he's had runs for over 20 yards in every game he's started.

OP
OP
L

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is still a guy similar to Adrian Peterson. Not saying he has that flashiness of AP, but he's one of the guys you can stop all game, and then he will bust out a 60 yard run. In fact, I believe he's had runs for over 20 yards in every game he's started.

It was an excellent move by the Packers to get Grant, and at the time it was a reasonable move by the Giants to trade him. Would love to have him back... or at least traded to someone else... hindsight is 20/20.

I can't remember too many long runs against the Giants... Barber had a good run last game 36 yards... but in general Giants don't give up the long runs.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TheDesertFox said:

It was an excellent move by the Packers to get Grant, and at the time it was a reasonable move by the Giants to trade him. Would love to have him back... or at least traded to someone else... hindsight is 20/20.

I can't remember too many long runs against the Giants... Barber had a good run last game 36 yards... but in general Giants don't give up the long runs.

Thanks Leek.
I know you came in here talking about your secondary, but I'm glad you voiced what you thought about the Grant trade.

Odysseus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conventional Wisdom

Given the weather conditions expected, I think most fans would feel that the game will be decided by the running game and the dominance of the interior linemen.
The problem with that thinking is that it often turns out not to be the case.
Most likely the game will be dominated by running plays but won or lost by the passing game.
Especially if the field is poor, look for a short pass play to go for a long TD.
Screens, shovel passes or short slants are only a missed tackle or a slip from going the distance. Also, if a reciever loses his footing and falls, an interception could likely be decisive.
Go Pack!

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Haha hey taking my stat! Yes he's had a run of 20 yards or more in every start aside from one.

In the regular season he had 11 carries for over 20 yards. 2 for over 40.

Against the seahawks he had 4 carries over 20 yards. 1 over 40.

He is a tremendous runer, in all of Ahman Green's days he didn't produce this well and I was a big fan of Ahman and thought he was very under-rated. The Giants don't have as good of a linebacker core as the seahawks and their DT's aren't as impressive as their DE's. Grant should have another big game in my opinion.

Reaction score
Barber rushed very well against the Giants and look what it got Dallas => a loss.

I think that's too simplistic.

Let's be honest, the Cowboys got away from doing what was working, and their WR crops didn't make the plays you expect WRs to make. I'm talking about the simple things like catches, nothing too extravagant.

I'm just worried about the cold. Ryan Grant HAS to come up big this game, because no matter how great Favre is, you can't expect the passing game to come up out of this world again vs. the Giants. I think it is fair to expecct 200-250 yards of passing from Favre in the conditions that will occur Sunday night, and I'll be happy with 2 throwing TDs.

But Grant HAS to get at least 125 yards (+ 1 TD at least) rushing IMO. Anything less means we rely on the passing more than we should in the cold weather being forecast, which is less than ideal even though we have 5 terrific WRs.

OP
OP
L

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Profizzle99 said:

I'm not saying its going to be a walk in the park. I'm saying the Packer fans who are calling for a blow out are over confident. I predict a close game, with the Giants winning by 3.
quote]

Good game, it was very close confirming my prediction and showing the predictions of a GB blowout were homerism. It could have went either way, you guys have a solid team. Your team is very young and just got some great experience, I wouldn't be surprised if you guys are in position for another Superbowl run next year.

Members online

Latest posts