Giant Fan - Secondary Issues

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a long time Giant fan; congrats on your season and big win last against the Seahawks.

For those that don't follow the Giants. The secondary is beat up bad.. Madison, Dockery, and Ross all have injury issues. That means the 3 healthy corners are:

McQuarters - benched from the nickle position early in the season, has played very well in the past 2 games both as Punt Returner and corner.

Webster - Demoted to backup early in the season. Then further demoted to the inactive list later in the season. Has been outstanding the past few weeks making some great plays.

Pope - You guys know as much about him as Giants fans do. Undrafted in 2007 draft. Signed as free agent with Dolphins. Released and signed to the Giants practice Squad. Has moved up because of injuries and played against Dallas last week (first time as a Giant).

The real starters still could make the game:

Ross - dislocated his shoulder last week (will hopefully play).
Madison - has missed the last 2 weeks but there is a chance he could be back.
Dockery - was on crutches last week but there is a small chance he too could return.

Don't get over excited about a thin secondary, these guys are over achievers and might surprise you. On paper it obviously favours the Pack but if the Giants can get some pressure on Farve then I have faith in the secondary.

Should be a great a game!

Giants 27 Packers 24

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Thanks for the luck. But we've been torching secondaries all year, and I really don't expect anything different from this game. Some might say I'm being over confident, but I'm not. The only way I see the packers losing this game is if we have another game like the last Bears game, where EVERYTHING goes wrong and we essentially beat ourselves.

I hope all the Giants starters can play just so that can't be an excuse. =)

Good luck.

OP
OP
L

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the luck. But we've been torching secondaries all year, and I really don't expect anything different from this game. Some might say I'm being over confident, but I'm not. The only way I see the packers losing this game is if we have another game like the last Bears game, where EVERYTHING goes wrong and we essentially beat ourselves.

Good luck.

Not to be a bad guy but I was careful not to wish you guys 'Good Luck'. Honestly I wish you have really bad luck, I wish the ball always bounces our way, you get the untimely penalties, the fumbles, the tipped interceptions, and any other 'bad luck'. :D

I do however hope it is an injury free game on both sides.

That being said, you are over confident. It's not the Giants secondary you need to worry about. It's the pass rush. If Giants hit Farve enough times good things will happen. If Farve has time then I agree with you he will expose the secondary.

Also if the Giants can establish the power running game, they might be able to eat up some clock keeping your offense off the field.

How good are the Packers Special Teams ? Giants KO team has greatly improved the past few weeks (since Hixon took over from Droughns).
Their KO/P coverage is also excellent. Punting is solid, and the kicker is good enough.

Special Teams could be the difference and Giants are pretty solid in special teams.

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:

Good luck.

That being said, you are over confident. It's not the Giants secondary you need to worry about. It's the pass rush. If Giants hit Farve enough times good things will happen. If Farve has time then I agree with you he will expose the secondary.

How good are the Packers Special Teams ? Giants KO team has greatly improved the past few weeks (since Hixon took over from Droughns).
Their KO/P coverage is also excellent. Punting is solid, and the kicker is good enough.

Special Teams could be the difference and Giants are pretty solid in special teams.

We always hear about how opposing pass rushes will kill us, yet we allowed the third fewest amount of sacks in the NFL and I don't see the Giants doing much. I see the OL doing an excellent job and Favre getting all kinds of time and torching your secondary.

The Packers ST unit is very good. Punting has been pretty good with an exception of the Bears game. Will Blackmon is a very solid punt returner and Koren Robinson is a very good KO returner. Mason Crosby led the NFL in scoring this season.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leek21 said:
DoddPower said:

Good luck.

We always hear about how opposing pass rushes will kill us, yet we allowed the third fewest amount of sacks in the NFL and I don't see the Giants doing much. I see the OL doing an excellent job and Favre getting all kinds of time and torching your secondary.

The Packers ST unit is very good. Punting has been pretty good with an exception of the Bears game. Will Blackmon is a very solid punt returner and Koren Robinson is a very good KO returner. Mason Crosby led the NFL in scoring this season.

To add to both of these posts, yes, we Packers fans could be called overconfident. Coughlin is showing that he is not the coach we all thought. He's good. And I'll give him an edge as far as experience goes for sure, and now he's got the players in love with him, which wasn't the case last year at this time.

As to the ST's....

Crosby's hangtime on kickoffs is great, giving our coverage time to get downfield and limit yardage. Fundamentals are HEAVILY stressed with this team, so don't hold out hope for any missed tackles.

Ryan is a beast as far as punters go, and he gets it done when he gets a normal snap from center.

We specifically spent numerous draft picks on guys for special teams alone, and it's payed off all year.

OP
OP
L

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leek21 said:
DoddPower said:
quote]
quote]

I checked and Farve was only sacked 15 times all year... very impressive considering how many passes he threw.

But it's not all about sacks.. even hitting him as he releases (or legally just after he releases) can have it's toll. Romo was only sacked twice in the game, but he was roughed up all day long and it had it's effect.

The guy you want to watch out for is Justin Tuck #91. He is a DE playing DT and he can get pressure up the middle.

Also can the Pack handle the Giants power running game ? Jacobs is a big man, he can start wearing a defense down over time... plus the Giants have Bradshaw a small quick yet powerful back who can surprise defenses who have spent all day tackling Jacobs.

Don't you think you are being over confident ? Giants have weapons on both offense and defense. I just don't see a blow out... I predict a close game that could go either way... a Farve mistake or a special teams play giving the Giants a close win.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
Leek21 said:
DoddPower said:
quote]
quote]

I checked and Farve was only sacked 15 times all year... very impressive considering how many passes he threw.

But it's not all about sacks.. even hitting him as he releases (or legally just after he releases) can have it's toll. Romo was only sacked twice in the game, but he was roughed up all day long and it had it's effect.

The guy you want to watch out for is Justin Tuck #91. He is a DE playing DT and he can get pressure up the middle.

Also can the Pack handle the Giants power running game ? Jacobs is a big man, he can start wearing a defense down over time... plus the Giants have Bradshaw a small quick yet powerful back who can surprise defenses who have spent all day tackling Jacobs.

Don't you think you are being over confident ? Giants have weapons on both offense and defense. I just don't see a blow out... I predict a close game that could go either way... a Farve mistake or a special teams play giving the Giants a close win.

And a Manning mistake or two could blow the game wide open for the Packers. Yews, our run defense can contain Jacobs. We have done well all season. Plus, we have Ryan Grant (remember him? you guys gave up on him) who ran for 200 yds last week while we shut down Shuan Alexander who also is a big strong back. In case you didn't see this info from another thread, here is what the Giants have accomplished so far this season......

giants road record

Dal- lost
Was- win
Atl- win
Mia-win
Det-win
Chi-win
Phi- win
Buf- win

now their oppnents total record 56-72 but take away Dallas who they lost to and its 43-69.

Their home record

Gb-lost
Phi-won
Nyj-won
Sf-won
Dal-lost
Min-lost
Was-lost
Ne-lost

now there oppents total record is 76-52 and take away NYJ and SF which are pretty much gimmies and the record is 67-29

Teams they beat

.500+ (1- Washington)
.500 (2- Eagles both tims)
.500 - (7- Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo, New York Jets, 49ers)

Teams they lost to

.500+ (5- Dallas (2), Green Bay, Washington, New England)
.500 (1- Minnesota)
.500-
The Giants only beat 1 team .500+, 7 of their 10 wins came from teams below .500 and 4 of those teams only have a combined record of 14-50... ouch.

Now in the playoffs they have beat two winning teams. I am not too impressed with the win at Tampa as they got in simply because of the extremely weak division, however the Cowboy game was impressive.

however, it is not uncommon for a division rival to beat the other regardless of records...expecially if they already lost to them twice.

I see GB winning by 10+. I am not being cocky.... just confident as their history has shown they can do it. In the Championship game....away...at historic Lambeau, once things go wrong against the visitors watch out for the floodgates to open. Manning has no experience in this arena.

that being said, I think the game will be relatively close the first half and part of the third quarter.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't have to worry about the pass rush at all. You could put the best 4 pass rushing D lineman down against the Packers and the passing game would be just as efficient. The pack don't hold onto the ball long enough to get sacked. It just isn't possible, there will for sure be a few sacks on Favre this game, but it won't effect the passing game tremendously. The 5 yard slants/hitches/outs/stops are what the Packers rely on, and that coupled with a few screens over the pass rush will neutralize the Giants pass rush. When we throw deep, we usually have a TE and a RB staying put to help on the pass rush. This game won't be too close, and I know I'm extremely confident. 38-17.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
Leek21 said:
DoddPower said:
quote]
quote]

The defense won't get worn down, the rotation on the line will prevent it and Barnett and Hawk surely won't get worn down, they'll be there every play and are in very good shape. If we can win vs , LT, AP twice, Larry Johnson, Stephen Jackson, Clinton Portis, and Brian Westbrook then beating the Jacobs lead offense shouldn't be too difficult. Sure he'll get some yards, but the Giants can't rely on him solely to beat the Packers.

OP
OP
L

Leek21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leek21 said:
uwbadger12000 said:
Leek21 said:
DoddPower said:
Plus, we have Ryan Grant (remember him? you guys gave up on him) who ran for 200 yds last week while we shut down Shuan Alexander who also is a big strong back. In case you didn't see this info from another thread, here is what the Giants have accomplished so far this season......

(cut)

The Giants only beat 1 team .500+, 7 of their 10 wins came from teams below .500 and 4 of those teams only have a combined record of 14-50... ouch.

Good post.

First of all the Giants didn't 'give up' on Grant. He was traded because the Giants had 5 good backs and couldn't keep them all. Derrick Ward (on injured reserve), Jacobs, Bradshaw, Droughns and Grant.

Great move by the Packers, but at the time a 6th round pick seemed like a reasonable trade for the Giants.

As for the quality of opponent I concede your point. Giants hadn't beaten any upper level teams until last week.

But let's look at who the Pack has beat, just to be fair:

Giants, Chargers.... weeks 2 and 3.
Lost to Dallas.

Chargers were bad in the beginning of the year, and the Giants were also bad in the early part of the year.

Who else ? Redskins in a close game ? Vikings ? Cheifs ?
Seattle is just a step above the Bucs.

I think it's fair to say the Packers haven't beaten any great teams since week 3 of the regular season. A lot has changed since week 3.

Are you still feeling as confident ?

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Giants are the same team they were in week 1 and 2. They lost to the Packers and Cowboys, two teams who proved over the season to be better. It isn't as if they got upset by two subpar teams and then managed to improve over the season.

The Bears had the Packers number, and outside of those 2 games they played very well in every other game, including the Cowboy game. Without Woodson and KGB and with Favre out for the game and still almost winning is a great job by them.

The Giants beat two teams that limped into the playoffs, going around .500 in the last few games of the regular season. They had momentum vs. teams that were running in quick sand.

I've said this before, maybe not on this forum. But I was more worried about the Seahawk game than I am about this one. The Seahawks are a more well rounded team with better coaching in my opinion.

38-17

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Giants fans are thinking far too simplistically about how they are going to win. They shout out words like "pass rush!" and "Jacobs!" and then nod their heads in smug, warm reassurance that they are now unbeatable.

Sorry, but you're not. Not even close. The Packers have been better than the Cowboys for awhile, and you got lucky barely beating the Cowboys while being outgained by over 100 yards in Offense. Jacobs may do well, but it's not like he'll gain 5 yards a carry and make your offense an unstoppable force. He can be contained, especially if we shut down your receivers.

And while you simply say "Grant will be dropped and we'll drop LBs back in coverage and stop the receivers," BE REALISTIC. Our receivers are the best in the NFC, and even when healthy your dbacks are only average. Its just not that simple.

Either way, it'll be a good game. I'm expecting a comfortable win. I very well may be wrong.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to be a bad guy but I was careful not to wish you guys 'Good Luck'. Honestly I wish you have really bad luck, I wish the ball always bounces our way, you get the untimely penalties, the fumbles, the tipped interceptions, and any other 'bad luck'. :D

I do however hope it is an injury free game on both sides.

Also if the Giants can establish the power running game, they might be able to eat up some clock keeping your offense off the field.

That's why I always say no injuries instead of good luck. ;)

Our STs are solid. Besides the 2nd Bears game, we were something like +4 in ST TDs (one or two fumbles, the rest returns). Plus, Koren Robinson, our KR got close to busting one on several occasions. He's due.

Guitarzan-54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FACT IS........Both these teams are KILLER and deserve to be where they're at.

The GIANTS shouldn't be fooled by a few losses, and being swept by the BEARS. It was very uncharacteristic of the PACKERS.
Well....except for the past couple of years. LOL! Chicago pretty much OWNS Green Bay. But, regardless...

And the PACKERS shouldn't overlook Jacobs. As A BEARS fan, I am all to aware of what not giving enough respect to a somewhat rookie running back can do to your game.
And lets not forget the GIANTS pass, and run defense.
...both are very good. Even if beat up a bit.

This game will truly be a DOG FIGHT for sure!

But, I gotta tell ya Leek21....I really don't see the GIANTS beating Favre in Lambeau.
....not THIS Sunday, anyway. The PACKERS are motivated beyond belief.
And, if you haven't seen last Sundays game against the Seahags, you have no idea what's coming your way.
As much as it pains me to say, as a BEARS fan....it was a Beautiful thing!

Brett Favre is on FIRE!....and The PACKERS are freakin' SMOKIN!

This is no match for "Little Brother and the G-Men".

I'm totally gonna enjoy this Sunday!

GIANTS - PACKERS........CHARGERS - PATRIOTS!!!!!

GESUSS!!!!!......IT DON'T GET BETTER THEN THAT!

THIS IS FOOTBALL BABY!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH. AND HERE'S TO NO INJURIES!!!!

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a long time Giant fan; congrats on your season and big win last against the Seahawks.

For those that don't follow the Giants. The secondary is beat up bad.. Madison, Dockery, and Ross all have injury issues. That means the 3 healthy corners are:

McQuarters - benched from the nickle position early in the season, has played very well in the past 2 games both as Punt Returner and corner.

Webster - Demoted to backup early in the season. Then further demoted to the inactive list later in the season. Has been outstanding the past few weeks making some great plays.

Pope - You guys know as much about him as Giants fans do. Undrafted in 2007 draft. Signed as free agent with Dolphins. Released and signed to the Giants practice Squad. Has moved up because of injuries and played against Dallas last week (first time as a Giant).

Dockery - was on crutches last week but there is a small chance he too could return.

Don't get over excited about a thin secondary, these guys are over achievers and might surprise you. On paper it obviously favours the Pack but if the Giants can get some pressure on Farve then I have faith in the secondary.

Giants 27 Packers 24

LOL! I will not try to get to excited

Packers score only 24 points, I feel you are being a tad optimistic. I case you have not seen Favre play he seems to be able to get rid of the ball pretty quickly, I predict frustrated Giant defensive ends. And even if the giants secondary "steps up" I feel pretty good about Ryan Grant breaking a few long runs especially if the Giants run defense look like it did last sunday.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about Grant having some big runs. In all but one game against the Chiefs, in his first start, he has had a run for more than 20 yards.

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't see many 5 receiver sets. But if we do, we should see lots of hitches, screens, curls, short 5 yard slants. We need to control the clock. I am not scared of Eli Manning and the receivers. I think our secondary will contain them. But their running game is good. BRadshaw is Barry Sanders type 5'9" and 185 lbs. While Jacobs is 260lbs.

Packers 31 Giants 21

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi,

Giants 27 Packers 24

Favre has the ability to pick apart any defense in football. The best defense for the Giants in their pass rush. If you don't get to Favre then he'll beat you. That's your best defense. I'm not so worried about the Giants secondary. It's the pass rush. Also GB has Ryan Grant now and if he's able to sustain a running game the Packers will be in good shape. So a lot of things factor into this game. Not just the Giants dinged up secondary. If I'm the Giants I try and take Grant out of the game because the Packers are very dangerous when they are running the ball.

Obviously the Giants are a worthy opponent but if the Packers play up to their potential, GB should win. It's going to be a tough game on both sides and both teams deserve to be where they're at. I wouldn't be overconfident on either side to be honest with you. I'm not taking anything for granted.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leek21 said:
Giants 27 Packers 24

Packers score only 24 points, I feel you are being a tad optimistic. I case you have not seen Favre play he seems to be able to get rid of the ball pretty quickly, I predict frustrated Giant defensive ends. And even if the giants secondary "steps up" I feel pretty good about Ryan Grant breaking a few long runs especially if the Giants run defense look like it did last sunday.

Here's a useless stat for ya: In 17 games played, the Pack have scored at least 30 points 10 times (all wins, with no opponent scoring more than 24 in those games). That includes games against defenses like San Diego, Kansas City (in Arrowhead), Minnesota, Seattle, and yes, the Giants. In New Jersey.

This offense has only been getting better, so I don't see us missing the 30-point mark this week.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a stat: The Packers friggin kick ***!

This stat has been provided by Intoxicated Incorporated.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
Leek21 said:
DoddPower said:
quote]
quote]

Favre won't be denied and these young players are trying to get him back to the SB where he belongs. Eli will have to do more than just manage a game because the Giants won't be running up and down the field. Also, the game being held at Lambeau will help a lot as well (yes I know the Giants road record). The only thing we can do is wait and see but I plan on watching the Packers play against either the Chargers or Patriots in Arizona...Packers 30 Giants 17

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is going to be very difficult to get pressure on Favre, even though the Giants have a great d-line.

Favre is still very elusive, has excellent awareness of where the pressure is coming, and has a quick release.

Now, in the past that wasn't always enough, and you would see Brett sometimes struggle when the defense was being disruptive.

The huge difference this year is we have 5 starting-quality wide receivers and two very good tight ends, so someone is actually open for him to use that quick release. He doesn't have to force it into bad spots when you're bringing pressure. (Note: I'm not predicting we play spread offense all day.)

The Giants are very good and I am not predicting a blowout. You knocked off the #1 seed so obviously you think you can beat us!

But what I'm not seeing here is talk of Eli. If he doesn't do something special, you won't keep up. We've scored 30+ points at home every game since Oct 14.

Reaction score

A point to consider might be Favre's iconic status, and how that might influence the refs to throw the penalty flag if the Giants hit Favre even a moment after the ball is released.

Scheme wise, the Packers like to bring their TE in motion and line him up as a FB. Then there is the two FB-one RB Falcon package that was very successful against the Seahawks blitz. That Packers have the ability to block blitzes, and that can't be understated.

Coach McCarthy identified that in his interview right after the Giants won against the Cowboys. When you think about that for a second, it's scary because it shows you that McCarthy was quite aware of the Giants tendencies without even formally game planning against them.

I'm positive that McCarthy and our coaching staff will be ready for what the Giants do and may possibly do.

Also can the Pack handle the Giants power running game ? Jacobs is a big man, he can start wearing a defense down over time... plus the Giants have Bradshaw a small quick yet powerful back who can surprise defenses who

I must admit that the Giants' running game worries me, especially considering our run D faltered down the stretch.

The positive thing is during the Seahawks pre-game warm-up, there seems to have been this sense in the atmosphere that our D-line was just firing on all cylinders. Our DT group as a whole probably had their best game, and our RE/DT Cullen Jenkins had his best performance since the pre-season. So things are coming together for our d-line, which bodes well for us.

Members online

Latest posts