Geography

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read several times people from western Wisconsin saying how there are so many Viking fans around there. I grew up in Janesville, and you hardly ever see Bears fans there. Assuming both of those teams are about equally detestable, why is that? Southern Wisconsin is a lot closer to Chicago than Green Bay, same as western is to Minnesota.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
I've read several times people from western Wisconsin saying how there are so many Viking fans around there. I grew up in Janesville, and you hardly ever see Bears fans there. Assuming both of those teams are about equally detestable, why is that? Southern Wisconsin is a lot closer to Chicago than Green Bay, same as western is to Minnesota.

Chicago is a lot closer to GB than MN as well. That side of the state is heavily entrenched with lots and lots of packer fans. Living in Milwaukee it was a pretty rare sight to see a bears jersey or stocking cap. With the high pop of minnesotans living that close to the border with no large population to stave it off the Queens have snagged a foothold is western and north western WI.

Tbone

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hudson to downtown Minneapolis is only a 35-40 minute commute, with good weather. 25 minutes to St. Paul. St. Croix County is the fastest growing county in Wisconsin for a couple of reasons. One, land is cheaper for residents, and two, the WI corporate tax rate is much lower. MN is 9.8% and WI is 7.8%.

There may not be many Bear fans in Janesville but there are plenty in Kenosha, Racine and Milwaukee.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Superior has quite a bit of Viking fans as well as a few places where they mainly show Viking games over Packer games simply because that's what the owner prefers. Duluth has quite a bit of Packer fans so I guess it sort of goes both ways.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... you hardly ever see Bears fans there.
That's because it's Janesville! Hahaha, couldn't let that go. No real disrespect intended.

The border is pretty clear between Wisconsin and Illinois in terms of fan allegiance and nearby cities. The MN/WI border is dominated by Minnesota cities. The Twin Cities cast a long shadow over western WI and Duluth is much bigger than Superior. Tbone is right that the drive from western WI to the Cities is pretty short compared to trying to drive from Janesville to Chicago. So more Viking fans have leaked their way into Wisconsin, much like box elder bugs into your house.

The solution to box elder bugs is to cut down the tree

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You also have to remember that the Packers used to play in Milwaukee, for the purpose of making sure they were Packers fans not Bear fans. I think that went a long way in establishing a very good base of fans for the future.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Kieler, WI which is about 7 miles away from both Iowa and Illinois. Down here its probably 70% Packers and an even split between Bears and Viking fans. Get into NE Iowa it's probably a 30% for each team. Then of course you have your annoying Cowboys, Steelers, and for some reason Bronco fans to make up the rest.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Down here in NC, we have not only Panthers fans of course, but Falcons fans, Steelers fans (tons of them), Redskins fans. It would seem to be bandwagon city, but it is not. For the longerst time NC didn't have a team so people just went with what was goegraphically close or who they were coaxed into rooting for.

WI just happens to be in a location that shares borders with rival teams in the division. Im from Oshkosh and have known people to be Bears fans since they were just youngsters even if they grew up 4 hours from Chicago. i think it has a lot to do with who you grew up with (father/uncles friends etc...) and who they rooted for as well as border proximity.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I

Chicago is a lot closer to GB than MN as well. That side of the state is heavily entrenched with lots and lots of packer fans. Living in Milwaukee it was a pretty rare sight to see a bears jersey or stocking cap. With the high pop of minnesotans living that close to the border with no large population to stave it off the Queens have snagged a foothold is western and north western WI.
Do you think the bastards are trying to invade ?

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely plenty of Steelers fans in the Carolinas: PA is a big state and many of its people have migrated south down the coast, where the weather is nicer and economies are growing.

Interestingly, the Packers are very well-regarded in this region. I think folks here are receptive to the idea of a small town team since much of the region is rural and/or small cities (e.g., Raleigh, Columbia, Greenville, Charleston, Greensboro).

Culturally, high school and college football is far more significant to southerners. Until pretty recently, they didn't have many professional teams in the SE and so college football teams in states like Alabama, South Carolina, and Arkansas were (and continue to be) the most significant football around...

Members online

Latest posts