General Pearl of Wisdom

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this on another board and I thought a lot of you guys would appreciate it.

It's a general idea acquired by those who observe the activities of the Vikings year in and year out. It plays out like this:

Act 1 FREE AGENCY ****
-scene one: The Vikings organization signs half a dozen free agents
-scene two: Vikings fans tout those free agents as the greatest players at their respective positions
-scene three: Fans of other teams are derided as "morons" for pointing out that FA "A" hasn't started a full season in three years, FA "B" is 43 years old and a recent amputee, etc.

Act 2 BOASTS OF GLORY
-scene one: Vikings fans award themselves the NFC North, NFC Championship, Superbowl, and title as greatest team ever
-scene two: Vikings fans predict a sub .500 year for the Packers
-scene three: Vikings fans deride fans of other teams for using logic to point out the respective strengths and weaknesses of the Vikings opponents and the Vikings.

Act 3 EARLY VICTORIES
-scene one: The Vikings rattle off a solid first half record
-scene two: Vikings fans repeat boasts of glory
-scene three: Fans of other teams are derided for pointing out that the collective record of opponents was 2-28, that they were starting their water boy in place of QB, that they won by a last second FG that bounced off one of their opponents helmets before landing on the crossbar and falling in.

Act 4 LATE SEASON MELTDOWN
-scene one: Vikings play the Giants and Packers (need I say more?)
-scene two: Vikings fans complain about how their team was "robbed"
-scene three: The Vikings front office leaks a memo, letter, or some other evidence "proving" that the Vikings were robbed

Act 5 SOUR GRAPES
-scene one: The Vikings finish the season at .500 or worse
-scene two: Vikings fans complain again about being robbed and point to the game or two they lost by a TD or less while ignoring the three or more they won under questionable circumstances by a TD or less
-scene three: Vikings fans minimize the team that bested them for the divisional title and root for them to lose

For those of you without a program, we're in Act Two, scene 3.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just one small point that was ignored. The Viking seventh round draft pick was the seventh best player in the draft.

The guys who were cheered the year before and leave the Vikings in free agency are now bums and all last years losses are attributable to them.

The NFL referees hate the Vikings and are under orders from NFL headquarters to call penalties on the Vikings that always were just before the Vikings would have scored or stopped an opponent.

This stuff is not just the last decade this has gone on for a long while.
Bud Grant hardly substituted in preseason and Minnesota sports writers like Sid Hartman would blow on about how great they looked against quality opponents.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen this pattern. If you ever call them on it and directly quote what they wrote 90 days earlier they call you names and never offer a defense or even admit what they wrote earlier. I've never seen a group like this anywhere else in the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts