GB's Halfbacks

Juztin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello to my fellow Packer fans and followers! This is my first time to this forum, as well as my first post. I've been a fan of the Packers ever since I started gaining an interest in the NFL as a child ('94 or '95), and I am very excited and have high expectations for them this year.

I had done a longer post however my session timed-out and my post was lost.

Anyways, I'm in love with our current roster. As far as I'm concerned, we have the best group of starters in the NFL. However, I have one big concern - our halfbacks. I have a strong distaste for our current starter Ryan Grant. In my opinion he is untalented and one dimensional (most of his stats accrue from amazing blocks). Brandon Jackson is a career backup at best. Sure he's talented, athletic, and can block ok, I just don't feel that he's a good "football player" yet, and he may never get there. I do like Wynn but he's too inconsistant, he'll make a sweet play and next he'll fumble. Ahman Green? Wtf.

Our team is good, maybe even great. But let's face it, how far can we really make it with the mediocrity that is our halfbacks? Sure our team is young, but Harris and Woodson are getting up there in age and are somewhat injury prone. Mike McCarthy's job may be coming into question soon if we don't get on the right track, and I would like to see him stay here in Green Bay. Ontop of those, our division is becoming more and more competetive. We need a Championship.

I'm not going to knock T.T. because he has (somehow) put together a great Staff and a great group of players, even though I find myself questioning his decisions often. My point is that we should(need) to make a trade for, or draft a good halfback (no more of these 7th round guys(excluding Jackson)). Here are some, in my opinion, viable options to trade for: LenDale White(it seems he's become determined to turn his career around, and he is unappreciated in Tenessee), Reggie Bush(a "bust" in New Orleans, but perhaps a superstar in Green Bay?), Tim Hightower(perhaps if we can acquire him cheaply, we can test his worth), Jerious Norwood, Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, or other potentials.

I'm looking forward to feedback and other opinions on this topic!

:happy0005:Go Pack Go!:happy0005:

Zeppelinelite51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im just as disgusted with our HB's... I would take almost all those backs you listed over Grant. Grant is good its just that, like you said he is only good when he gets a good block. IMO it just seems like he hits the hole and semi-gives up. Idk im just sayin I agree we serously need to look at the O-Line first and then look into the HB's for the offense.

OP
OP
J

Juztin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it just seems like he hits the hole and semi-gives up.
QFT!!

I agree that we have issues with our O-line that need to be addressed. However, I think that they are just (barely) good enough for a Superbowl run similar to the Steelers of last year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade deadline is over so any trade talks lead to nowhere. Regarding our RBs, if they have the holes, they'll serve you. If they don't, we won't have a running game.
-
Welcome, Juztin, BTW!

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, trade deadline is over. I'm hoping we can get someone like Evan Royster in the draft next year to come in and compete with Grant. I'm also biased because I'm a Penn State fan, but Royster is a beast and we could get him in the 2nd round.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
My dislike for Grant is no secret. I'd rather see Jackson start, and I am very happy about Ahman Green. As to our aging secondary... Injury prone? I can only recall one injury recently, and that was Harris' Spleen injury, in which he came back after 4 games. i dont think injuries are a problem for them.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anthony Dixon from Mississippi State looks like a beast too. He might be around in the 2nd or 3rd round. That is if he decides to go into the draft. It would be a controversial thing and you'd have to see if he does anything else stupid, but I would take a chance on LeGarrette Blount in the 5th round or something.

OP
OP
J

Juztin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! Much appreciated. I fully realize there isn't a whole lot that we can do resolve this "issue" for the current season, but I believe that this is the single most important issue that we currently have.

Regarding our RBs, if they have the holes, they'll serve you.

I both agree and disagree with that statement. The only thing Grant ever does with a a hole is run through it with his head ducked down. Zero awareness of what's going on around him. Usually gets wrapped up by the first guy who meets him unless it's a poor tackle. I feel that I would make a better HB than Grant(joke). But I feel that this could or will be our downfall as a team.

OP
OP
J

Juztin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As to our aging secondary... Injury prone? I can only recall one injury recently, and that was Harris' Spleen injury, in which he came back after 4 games. i dont think injuries are a problem for them.

Maybe I'm being stereotypical or generalizing, but as most players get older they become slightly more prone to becoming injured, I'm not knocking them, they are a pair of tough ****'s. However, I know that recently Woodson has been having issues with his foot. But my point was, that I think we should acquire a new HB before we potentially encounter any issues regarding Harris or Woodson(just speculation).

CheeseHead88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, Grant is a serviceable HB and won't kill your team, but we could definitely use an infusion of talent at HB. The ones you listed above probably are available for a trade, which will have to wait until the offseason. But yes, we need to find a talented HB to spice it up a little bit in the backfield.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts