GB/Dallas game, from a Bears Perspective:

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt read the thread from the Cowboys guy yet, but I'll check it after this posting to see how they compare.

Having watched the Bears play both teams, here's how I see them matching up.

While you guys have a serviceable pair of corners, they're a little overrated in my mind because they're not quite physical enough and a little old. I know they're both smart and experienced players which puts them in the right position most of the time, but when it comes to T.O. it will be tough to match up to his sheer athleticism. He will get open repeatedly and the key will to be to at least try and take away the big play.

Their tight end, Whitten, will be a horrible mismatch for your LBs. Olsen pretty much molested Bigby when the Bears played you guys, and while he's talented, he's not the player that Whitten is just yet. Romo will find Whitten deep across the middle numerous times to keep drives alive. It's incredibly frustrating.

Speaking of frustrating, we hit Romo all night long, sacked him a few times and had him running often...but guess what? This guy would make the plays to TO and Whitten no matter what. I understand you guys have a decent passrush, but earlier this season, when we were healthy, we were really nailing the QBs often and Romo couldnt be stopped. Also Colombo is a pretty good tackle and their line is solid as well.

Overall, I think you'll need a couple lucky bounces to keep their offense in check.

As for their defense, they can be had deep. Rex had one or two dropped by Berrian that were sure TDs and if you run the ball enough, the playaction will really suck in their defenders. Their passrush is nothing too outstanding and with your line, Favre should get decent time for the most part unless they unleash a bunch of new blitz packages. With our horrible line, Rex was forced into a bunch of stupid throws and that really took the Bears momentum away in the 2nd half. We dominated them in the 1st half on defense, but turnovers killed us. With a good line the Cowboys can be had.

My prediction:
Green Bay 24
Dallas 31

...with the right bounces though, you guys have a good chance, I just dont like the odds of your defense stopping them. I know Brett will get some guys open deep, but will it be enough?

Oh yeah, PS, Marion Barber should get more respect than he does. He runs like a madman.

Good luck. We're not catching you guys anyway.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope you are not basing your opinion of the packers on the one game you have played us this season, as we killed ourselves. Youth on a team will make mistakes as we did, adversity though is a sign of greatness, look at the games since that foul up. I dont think it will be as close of a game as you seem to think.

Reaction score
ANOTHER person picking the Cowboys?

Gah, now I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope the Packers win tomorrow.

I think the D will surprise a few people. Although to be honest our run D worries me a little, Harrell has to step up big time so our DT rotation can be effective.

Other than that, I'm not worried. Witten will have his share of catches, the key is to contain him, not to stop him. I think the Packers can do that.

Time of Possession will be key, I'm hoping we avoid going 3 and out at the start of the game like we did last week. We can't afford to do that against a team that has a two headed monster at RB.

OP
OP
B

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope you are not basing your opinion of the packers on the one game you have played us this season, as we killed ourselves. Youth on a team will make mistakes as we did, adversity though is a sign of greatness, look at the games since that foul up. I dont think it will be as close of a game as you seem to think.

Well, just the same I could say the Bears killed themselves by giving up a couple dumb long running plays in the 1st half against a sub par running back, but were able to execute effectively in the 2nd half and we also got the turnovers WE'RE KNOWN for getting by forcing fumbles and waiting for the usual Favre brainfart. I've seen several Pack games by the way, and think they're the 2nd best team in the NFC. Not trying to be insulting, just sharing my point of view.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While you guys have a serviceable pair of corners, they're a little overrated in my mind because they're not quite physical enough and a little old. I know they're both smart and experienced players which puts them in the right position most of the time, but when it comes to T.O. it will be tough to match up to his sheer athleticism. He will get open repeatedly and the key will to be to at least try and take away the big play..

This paragraph made laugh until I peed. adsdhjk kyu.....

Hold on, I had to wipe the tears outta my eyes...

How's this for "not quite physical enough?"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

lol. Thanks again. That just made my day, bearsskewedperspective :D :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What, taking out that little white guy? Is that supposed to be impressive? If you send up Al Harris to try and jam T.O. at the line, he will burn you guys all night. Period. Your coaches arent THAT stupid.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vechenzo said:

Well, just the same I could say the Bears killed themselves by giving up a couple dumb long running plays in the 1st half against a sub par running back, but were able to execute effectively in the 2nd half and we also got the turnovers WE'RE KNOWN for getting by forcing fumbles and waiting for the usual Favre brainfart. I've seen several Pack games by the way, and think they're the 2nd best team in the NFC. Not trying to be insulting, just sharing my point of view.

Bears have excelled at killing themselves. Teddies got LUCKY that the Packers beat themselves in the 2nd half.

I haven't seen much of the Bears games on purpose. I've seen too much of the soap opera, especially "as the stomach turns" that reminds of your team. I know one thing, the Bears are no where NEAR the 2nd best team in the NFC. As a matter of fact, and you WISH your team was in a position to be playing for the top seed in the NFC.

NOt trying to be insulting, just sharing MY point of view.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We run a bump-and-run coverage scheme. Period. Not some fairy Tampa zone BS that everyone in the league tries to do. Al Harris is THE best physical corner in the NFL. Period.

The coaches won't change up the scheme cause TO can bench the same amount as Harris. They are gonna be in each other's face all night, unless Garrett is scared of Harris and lines up TO back of the LOS to avoid the jam.

Reaction score
Your coaches arent THAT stupid.

And neither is Al.

He'll have a strategy against TO.

Al realizes stopping TO in a game like this will do wonders in helping him get elected to the probowl.

He'll be ready.

And I wouldn't count out Troy Vincent having given Al a few pointers/tips on what to do Thursday night.

OP
OP
B

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
vechenzo said:

Bears have excelled at killing themselves. Teddies got LUCKY that the Packers beat themselves in the 2nd half.

I haven't seen much of the Bears games on purpose. I've seen too much of the soap opera, especially "as the stomach turns" that reminds of your team. I know one thing, the Bears are no where NEAR the 2nd best team in the NFC. As a matter of fact, and you WISH your team was in a position to be playing for the top seed in the NFC.

NOt trying to be insulting, just sharing MY point of view.

Ok well I thought Id try and share a point of view without getting into all the usual idiotic smacktalk BS but there's always one fvcktard that has to try and get cocky. Again, I think the pack are pretty good but have some weaknesses. No big deal. Only hope we get you guys in the playoffs.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok well I thought Id try and share a point of view without getting into all the usual idiotic smacktalk BS but there's always one fvcktard that has to try and get cocky. Again, I think the pack are pretty good but have some weaknesses. No big deal. Only hope we get you guys in the playoffs.

mmmmm. Gettin dicey. I like it. :pop:

I do appreciate your non-smack, honest post, which had pretty good analysis-especially for a guy who's a fan of neither team.

But if anyone, be it aadp, cheesey, or god forbid p@ck66 said that our starting CBs are overrated and not quite physical enough, I'd respond like I did, and expect plenty of posts in the tone of obi1. Nothing about you being a bears fan, just that there were a couple things some people thought inaccurate.

Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
But if anyone, be it aadp, cheesey, or god forbid p@ck66 said that our starting CBs are overrated and not quite physical enough, I'd respond like I did, and expect plenty of posts in the tone of obi1.

Yeah I mean if our CBs were Joey Thomas and Ahmad "Holding, 28, Defence" Carrol you'd have a valid point.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Ahmad "Holding, 28, Defence" Carrol

When I read that name I involuntarily barfed all over my keyboard/screen/desk/neighbor in the next cubicle's workspace.

And that huge, stinking, acidic pile of puke plays better man-coverage than he could.

Reaction score
This should give you a giggle or two (because, you know I find you so irresistible when you giggle):

I gotta give credit to Tiger, he posted that a while back. Hilarious stuff.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is great. He's one of my favorite Packers. But he's not invincible. The last time he was matched up with T.O., Owens had a monster game. Fact.

Al Harris also never plays well against Moss ('04 playoffs anyone? I know. Tear.)

I think Owens will challenge him. In any case, i don't think Owens is the lynchpin of the game. I think it's how the Cowboys move the ball with running and play action. If they can do just that, our defense will be on the field for a while. The Packers do well when we know what's coming. We stop the run when we play run teams. We do pretty well rushing the passer when we think it's pass. But I have the feeling if you can rush and pass well (out of base formations...<---this is important) then you can hurt us. We have to make big plays on defense and not turn the ball over on offense. Simplistically "Madden-esque" analysis, I know. But hey, that's football, *BOOM* Tough actin' tinactin'

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
This should give you a giggle or two (because, you know I find you so irresistible when you giggle):

Boy, AADP, you sure know how to make a boy vomit- er, I mean, blush!!

*giggle*

OP
OP
B

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is great. He's one of my favorite Packers. But he's not invincible. The last time he was matched up with T.O., Owens had a monster game. Fact.

Al Harris also never plays well against Moss ('04 playoffs anyone? I know. Tear.)

Here's the reason I said what I said about physicality. I personally feel (I guess cause Im a Bearfan) that Peanut Tillman is about as physical a corner as you will find in this league. He isnt is fast maybe as Harris, but against the run and against bigtime receivers like Plaxico or Moss, Tillman has historically had his way with them. Particularly against Moss. There are a couple of highlights out there of him simply taking the ball away from Moss. Anyway, Tillman was playing off T.O. all night and was beat on the slant repeatedly. Now, we give up the slant pretty often but eventually Tillman will start playing up and muscling the guy. He just couldnt do it against T.O. and gave up alot of big yards.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:

Here's the reason I said what I said about physicality. I personally feel (I guess cause Im a Bearfan) that Peanut Tillman is about as physical a corner as you will find in this league. He isnt is fast maybe as Harris, but against the run and against bigtime receivers like Plaxico or Moss, Tillman has historically had his way with them. Particularly against Moss. There are a couple of highlights out there of him simply taking the ball away from Moss. Anyway, Tillman was playing off T.O. all night and was beat on the slant repeatedly. Now, we give up the slant pretty often but eventually Tillman will start playing up and muscling the guy. He just couldnt do it against T.O. and gave up alot of big yards.

How couldn't he do it against T.O.? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested. Was he outmuscled by T.O.? Out finessed? That's important. Harris is very sticky with his receivers. He gets his hands into them and even if they're physically stronger (I have to believe that the Lions' Roy Williams is "stronger" than Al Harris, but Harris owns him) he sticks with them.

T.O. is fantastic, but most of the bigger plays I've seen him (and Moss for that matter) make this year have been against zone coverages. Anywhere he goes on the field it's essentially a 1 on 1 because of the offenses route combinations, and some guy (a safety usually) has to make a play on the ball in the open field. That doesn't work against talented WRs. You HAVE to disrupt them, stay with them, and have protection over the top. Owens is a great receiver, but he's not a terror underneath. He's a big play, downfield receiver guy. He's fast enough to be a deep threat, and he can still catch passes over the middle. I just think that all of that will be complicated by the Packers two-man under style defense. Remember, your Bears play Cover 2. Stud WRs and good TEs carve up that ish.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
While you guys have a serviceable pair of corners, they're a little overrated in my mind because they're not quite physical enough and a little old. I know they're both smart and experienced players which puts them in the right position most of the time, but when it comes to T.O. it will be tough to match up to his sheer athleticism. He will get open repeatedly and the key will to be to at least try and take away the big play..

This paragraph made laugh until I peed. adsdhjk kyu.....

Hold on, I had to wipe the tears outta my eyes...

How's this for "not quite physical enough?"

lol. Thanks again. That just made my day, bearsskewedperspective :D :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly. I didn't read the rest of your post after you said Harris and Woodson weren't physical enough. Question their speed, but you cannot qquestion how physical they are!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

mmmmm. Gettin dicey. I like it. :pop:

I do appreciate your non-smack, honest post, which had pretty good analysis-especially for a guy who's a fan of neither team.

But if anyone, be it aadp, cheesey, or god forbid p@ck66 said that our starting CBs are overrated and not quite physical enough, I'd respond like I did, and expect plenty of posts in the tone of obi1. Nothing about you being a bears fan, just that there were a couple things some people thought inaccurate.
You tell em PIB!!! :wink: :lol:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read Harris and Woodson a little overrated and just stopped reading. They've allowed a combine 1 TD from a receiver this year and ZERO 100 yard receivers. GB has allowed 100 yard games from Tight Ends but not receivers. They're the best duo in the league.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read Harris and Woodson a little overrated and just stopped reading. They've allowed a combine 1 TD from a receiver this year and ZERO 100 yard receivers. GB has allowed 100 yard games from Tight Ends but not receivers. They're the best duo in the league.

Wow. That's the most awesome stat I've heard all year. Just. Wow.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris / Woodson are very physical, imo. TO is a matchup problem, but I think that is because Witten will draw a lot of safety attention. I think that the real problem for gb on d is the run defense. I think that Dallas will be able to run and pass to the TE. I really dont think that TO is the key at all. The bears did get to Romo, but Romo has the 6th sense and could step up/back/left/right to avoid the sack. GB pass rush is superior this year to Chi. If KGB is out, that could be a big factor. I am not sure why detroit didnt double team kampmann or at least chip him at the LOS. I think GB will be able to pressure romo AND get him to the ground.

On offense, GB will move the ball. If gb runs the ball 8 times, that is to much...unless they are up big at the end. I would continue the 4 / 5 receiver sets. I think that Favre is due for a bad game at some point...I hope it is not this week becasue that would be a shame. I think that gb has no run game...that is if they ran like a normal team, they would be terrible. They dont have to run like a normal team, so I believe that they will end up averaging a lot of yards/carry. Run at the right time and it will be effective. 8 rushes for 65 yards would be a good nite.

6.5 points...no brainer. I am pumped for this game...I cant imagine how excited I would be if I actually liked one of the two teams playing.

Members online

Latest posts