Gamesmanship

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This question on the packers website made me think back to stuff like this, what do you guys think? Miss it?

The stories are legendary of visiting teams in Green Bay, especially during the old days, getting heat turned off in the locker room, or the short end of the stick in other ways. Does that stuff happen today, in Green Bay or anywhere else for that matter, or are there league rules against it?

Gamesmanship was still happening when I started covering the league. Paul Brown was a master of gamesmanship. The Steelers’ hotel room keys never seemed to be ready for distribution when the Steelers arrived in Cincinnati, and they were never on time for their pregame introductions, according to the Bengals, so they just ran out together. The big one was the scoreboard at Riverfront Stadium. It always seemed to malfunction in the fourth quarter when the Steelers had the ball. Chuck Noll played for Brown; he knew the tricks. They began at the airport. Sometimes the buses would pull up to the plane, other times we’d have to walk through the terminal. The Steelers PA guy once announced Jerry Glanville as “Gary Grandview and the rest of the Houston Oilers.” The Raiders were infamous for being late in delivering their film, or it would be of terrible quality and with plays missing. In the 1973 “Dirty Tricks” game in Oakland, Steelers center Ray Mansfield kept getting tainted footballs. One didn’t have air in it, one had grease on it, and then came a ball with bad words written on it. Those days are over. Now we have rules for that kind of stuff and penalties for breaking those rules. I almost like it better the way it was. I like a little gamesmanship and that’s why I still enjoy that sign that greets players leaving the visitors’ locker room at new Mile High Stadium by reminding them of the altitude at which they’ll be playing. Take a deep breath.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds funny, and it was for more of a sandlot game. The more that any sport becomes main stream, money is exchanging hands, people lose their jobs over game outcomes, and fans throttle each other for....being fans of the other team, it seems that there needs to be consistency. Most people like these pranks until it happens to them or their team. It always sounds better when happening to someone else. I like the stories but would be upset if I found out a team was acting in any way other than professional when hosting the Packers, and vice versa.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yeah I miss that kind of stuff. It gave the game character and made it fun. the NFL has become to sterile in my opinion. I miss the colorful commentary and interviews, I miss the funny nicknames, I miss the ref just coming out and signaling the call without going into detailed explanation. I miss the pre-review days. I miss knowing what a catch is, I miss the Running game, I miss the commentator's, I miss the pre game shows that were entertaining. I miss Monday night football parties. The game now is over exposed and over analyzed buy a bunch of ex jocks. Give me Cosell and Merideth, Summerall and Madden, Curt gowdy, **** Enberg, Paul Mcguire. those were fun guys to watch.

We put everything under a microscope and beat things to death. Imagine the uproar that would have occurred today if one of the receivers was out partying all night before the Superbowl. One of the biggest things I miss is sportsmanship among fans.

H

HardRightEdge

If Belichick got caught secretly filming Packer practices there would be a hue and cry in these parts on a par with the Fail Mary.

Haven't several teams been busted in recent years for piping crowd noise into the stadium, including Minnesota? The Seahawks own the Guiness world record for the highest stadium decibel reading ever recorded...137.6...just last season. In an open air stadium, no less. Yeah, I'm sure it's because of the unique acoustics at CenturyLink. It's probably not a coincidence it was against the Saints, one of the teams busted for it in the past. Seattle has figured out how not to get caught...so far.

Then there were the free agent wars between the Seahawks and Vikings not so long ago. I forget the details but it was fairly long running and bitter. One instance ran along the lines of a restricted free agent tender offer that included onerous provisions if the player worked in the other city while those provisions would not apply if he played in the tendering city. This effectively blocked the original team from matching the tender.

How about play callers holding the card up over their faces? I'm sure word got out that some team hired a lip reader. And has somebody figured out how to intercept the on field radio communications? Or has a team rigged them and not been caught yet?

Biletnikoff taped thumb tacks to his hands; when he got caught he switched to pine tar. Today, players use drugs to get an edge. Health issues aside, is there a material difference?

All that stuff in the OP seems ol' timey with the charm of bygone days when men where men, but I can say with some certainty if dirty tricks perpetrated today against the Packers were discovered, the fan base would go through the roof. Imagine the reaction when Seattle's crowd noise piping is finally found out.

Call me humorless (after all, i did dream of becoming a banker ;)), but I'd rather see the game played on the field.

Nonetheless, dirty tricks are certainly at work today. Why wouldn't they? It's what certain kinds of people do. We just have to wait for somebody who's retired to write a tell-all book to know what they are. They're just more likely to be technologically based...because we can.

And God forbid if it was discovered that Rodgers was out drinking and wh*ring 'till the wee hours the night before a losing game. If McGee had dropped that TD that he tipped to himself we'd probably not look back so fondly on his off-field habits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Yeah I miss that kind of stuff. It gave the game character and made it fun. the NFL has become to sterile in my opinion. I miss the colorful commentary and interviews, I miss the funny nicknames, I miss the ref just coming out and signaling the call without going into detailed explanation. I miss the pre-review days. I miss knowing what a catch is, I miss the Running game, I miss the commentator's, I miss the pre game shows that were entertaining. I miss Monday night football parties. The game now is over exposed and over analyzed buy a bunch of ex jocks. Give me Cosell and Merideth, Summerall and Madden, Curt gowdy, **** Enberg, Paul Mcguire. those were fun guys to watch.

We put everything under a microscope and beat things to death. Imagine the uproar that would have occurred today if one of the receivers was out partying all night before the Superbowl. One of the biggest things I miss is sportsmanship among fans.

Do you recall what got announcer Tom Brookshier fired ? LOL LOL :eek:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This question on the packers website made me think back to stuff like this, what do you guys think? Miss it?

The stories are legendary of visiting teams in Green Bay, especially during the old days, getting heat turned off in the locker room, or the short end of the stick in other ways. Does that stuff happen today, in Green Bay or anywhere else for that matter, or are there league rules against it?

Gamesmanship was still happening when I started covering the league. Paul Brown was a master of gamesmanship. The Steelers’ hotel room keys never seemed to be ready for distribution when the Steelers arrived in Cincinnati, and they were never on time for their pregame introductions, according to the Bengals, so they just ran out together. The big one was the scoreboard at Riverfront Stadium. It always seemed to malfunction in the fourth quarter when the Steelers had the ball. Chuck Noll played for Brown; he knew the tricks. They began at the airport. Sometimes the buses would pull up to the plane, other times we’d have to walk through the terminal. The Steelers PA guy once announced Jerry Glanville as “Gary Grandview and the rest of the Houston Oilers.” The Raiders were infamous for being late in delivering their film, or it would be of terrible quality and with plays missing. In the 1973 “Dirty Tricks” game in Oakland, Steelers center Ray Mansfield kept getting tainted footballs. One didn’t have air in it, one had grease on it, and then came a ball with bad words written on it. Those days are over. Now we have rules for that kind of stuff and penalties for breaking those rules. I almost like it better the way it was. I like a little gamesmanship and that’s why I still enjoy that sign that greets players leaving the visitors’ locker room at new Mile High Stadium by reminding them of the altitude at which they’ll be playing. Take a deep breath.
Gamesmanship is built right into Lambeau Field.
The opposing team is forced to enter the field through a tunnel barely wide enough for one player at a time.
I bet that plays on their minds as they are lined up like cattle in that trough. Especially if any of them have a fear of confined spaces.
I love it!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then there were the free agent wars between the Seahawks and Vikings not so long ago. I forget the details but it was fairly long running and bitter. One instance ran along the lines of a restricted free agent tender offer that included onerous provisions if the player worked in the other city while those provisions would not apply if he played in the tendering city. This effectively blocked the original team from matching the tender.
It was the poison pill provision that the Vikings used to get guard Steve Hutchinson, the best guard in the NFL at the time (a TT draft pick). The Seahawks then tried to get the Vikings' goat by signing WR Nate Burleson to a similar contract with poison pill provisions. Of course, Burleson was no where near the quality of player as Hutchinson so the revenge strategy backfired. The NFL and NFLPA both agreed to abolish the poison pill possibilities in the subsequent CBA.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL at using 'Gamesmanship' to describe something that is basically indecent, childish stupidity and archaic thinking.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
LOL at using 'Gamesmanship' to describe something that is basically indecent, childish stupidity and archaic thinking.
And here I thought you'd buy into it as part of the grand conspiracy you think is taking place. :roflmao:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of gamesmanship. I'm sure all of the teams do it, but IMO it's a lot like hazing, which I also find to be not cool. I'm not even a fan of the rookies carrying the shoulder pads or that kind of stuff. Each player deserves to be treated with respect, as does each team, and home field advantage is large enough with travel/time zone issues (which wasn't as big of a problem "back in the day") so these "gamesmanship" tactics just give the home field even more of an advantage. I'd be pretty upset if the Packers missed the playoffs because a prank costed them a win somewhere along the line. I was pretty upset when the Patriots were caught taping our practices.
I don't think home filed advantage is what it used to be. Partly because of the lack of gamesmanship. They fly on roomy charter jets, Have cushy hotel rooms, Ride on luxury charter buses, unless it's one of the older stadiums the away team locker rooms are not that bad. With all the new high tech thermal underwear and heated turf even on the coldest days at Lambeau the field is in good shape and the cold is not as much of an issue as it was. The one big advantage can be crowd noise, and most teams are good at dealing with that now. I think they should put acoustic overhangs all around the luxury boxes. So many old fans at lambeau they just don't have the lungs to generate noise.

Give me that old fashioned gamesmanship, I used to love the rumors about old giant stadium and how they would open the end zone doors to let the wind blow in the face of the opposing team. it's part of the charm the NFL has lost, it's now sterile all about statistics and precision and is way over analyzed. I want football to be fun and entertaining again. I don't want a detailed explanation. Make the call and play the game.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Gamesmanship, or pushing the rules to their limit to gain an unfair advantage (technology, bribes, etc), is in reality just poor sportsmanship. Professionals are not the only ones who do it. Colleges/Universities are often guilty too . Recruiting is just one area where they get caught. People believe that cheating is OK as long as you don't get caught. Some actually teach this to their children ! Then they act surprised when their golden child is caught cheating in school or is arrested for shoplifting . I've personally witnessed some parents help their kids cheat to win a prize/contest. Had I said anything at the time about it, I would have been looked at as not being loyal to the family.
Winning should never trump sportsmanship, even if nobody else knows, you know.

Members online

Latest posts