Games on NFL Network: Will someone please 'splain to me why?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand what the NFL is trying to do here. The more people that get to see the games, the more money they get from advertising. So why do they want to limit the number of people that get to see their games? It doesn't make any sense. If I was running the NFL, I would want my games to be available to as many viewers as possible. And I wouldn't put games on a channel that the majority of the country can't see. Where am I going wrong here? :feedback: :beersign:

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite simply they are trying to make NFL Network a "must have" channel so they can get more cable systems to carry it (the satellite networks already have it). Additionally they are trying to make it worth the premium per customer costs ($.60/month) they are demanding of the cable companies (and which are preventing many of them from picking it up).

I liked an idea I read somewhere of the cable companies making it available "a la cart." If your cable co doesn't carry it wouldn't you be willing to pay $.60 a month for it? I know I would.

Personally I can't understand why the cable companies are fighting this so hard. NFL Network is a win-win situation for everyone. We love it out here.

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Games on NFL Network: Will someone please 'splain to me

So I guess the NFL would rather fight with the cable companies for 2 years, than put their games on a channel where everyone can see it. That makes no sense at all.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As best I can understand, the NFL overplayed its hand by thinking the cable companies would agree to add this network to their second-tier packages. When there is a game on the NFL network, it is a big-time channel, but they only offer something like 8 games per year. At 3 hours apiece, that's around 24 hours of high level programming. During the NFL season, the extra stuff on the network should get decent ratings, but there are about 7 months of off-season when viewership will dip sharply. That's the way the cable companies look at it, anyway.

I guess the NFL network just got caught between two monoplies who are working at cross purposes. The NFL wants a channel that is widely available and is devoted exclusively to its product, while the cable companies want to use the channel as bait to get people to buy more expensive packages. It's hard to stick up for either side.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're having the exact same problem with the Big Ten Network as well. The cable company we have is ridiculously stubborn about the NFL Network and the BTN. They keep saying that everyone shouldn't have to pay for the channels if they don't want them, which is bull, because it would be less than a dollar for both channels, but cost everyone $6 a month to buy a "sports package". Their idea of a sports package includes a tennis channel, 3 soccer channels, and two more channels that I would never watch. I don't care about racing, but I have to pay for a racing channel. I don't care about golf, but I have to pay for a golf channel. I could care less about country music, but I have to pay for two country music channels. We don't even have ESPNU but for some reason they picked up the Versus channel, which mainly has hunting shows(I don't hunt), because it showed one Iowa game.

Our cable company threatened to drop our CBS affiliate a week before the Super Bowl because of some ridiculous dispute with Sinclair Media. They've lost thousands of customers to DirecTv and Dish because they won't carry NFL or Big Ten Network, and we're going to switch first of the year. They have all these commercials with people saying the Big Ten is greedy and just want more money, but the cable company knows if it can put the BTN and NFLN on a sports tier, they'd rake in SO much cash around here. It's so irritating.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Quite simply they are trying to make NFL Network a "must have" channel so they can get more cable systems to carry it (the satellite networks already have it). Additionally they are trying to make it worth the premium per customer costs ($.60/month) they are demanding of the cable companies (and which are preventing many of them from picking it up).

I liked an idea I read somewhere of the cable companies making it available "a la cart." If your cable co doesn't carry it wouldn't you be willing to pay $.60 a month for it? I know I would.

Personally I can't understand why the cable companies are fighting this so hard. NFL Network is a win-win situation for everyone. We love it out here.

you are correct..There was a bill last year ( or recently) where they were trying to get an a la cart...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I posted this in Oct

I dont have it, but I have used their web site to send emails to senators, and representatives and other officials that MIGHT be able to help...

I recently got an email form the nfl network to send another email to to those people and sent it in..

I got a reply from Sen Russ Feingold and it was addressed to me ( might be a generic email, who knows?)

Anyways this is the email, along with a link

Just a quick note to thank you for contacting me regarding carriage
contract disagreements between NFL Networks and cable
companies in Wisconsin. I appreciate your taking the time to share
your thoughts on this subject with me.

As a United States Senator, I generally do not get involved in
specific business disputes. You may be interested to know,
however, that the Senate Judiciary Committee recently held a
hearing during which it discussed the federal role in regulating
sports programming. An audio recording of the hearing, entitled,
"Competition in Sports Programming and Broadcasting: Are
Consumers Winning," is available on the committee's website.

You may view it by visiting

http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearing.cfm?id=2440.

I hope you find the hearing interesting, and should relevant legislation come before the Senate in the future, I will be sure to keep your thoughts
in mind.

Thanks again for contacting me. I hope you feel free to do so in
the future on this or any other issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Russell D. Feingold
United States Senator

That link does not have the page for the webcast..

Still searching for it

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If i had it, i'd probably watch it alot. It ticks me off that the NFL and cable can't agree to a price. They both make a S**Tload of money.....greedy suckers.
:soapbox:

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If i had it, i'd probably watch it alot. It ticks me off that the NFL and cable can't agree to a price. They both make a S**Tload of money.....greedy suckers.
:soapbox:

Yes you would! I guarantee it!! You don't know how many times we'd surfed through the drivel on 300 other channels on DirecTV and we always come back to NFLN. There is nearly always something fascinating - or at least informative and entertaining on. Makes the off-season go by much faster (never fast enough though).

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like a bigger deal then i thought but everyone up here runs off a satellite dish and cable isn't very popular. Our other advantage is TSN (our version of ESPN) carries the games so we're in good shape. Anyone in need of the big game is welcome up here. I have changed my mind on the network though cause I thought everyone compalined in the US just cause they ddn't want to pay for it but now I realize for a lot of people it just isn't even an option. That just seems wrong for a game like this. I like the line Frank used on Fox pregame thursday "more people have termites in their home then the NFL network" LOL nice shot

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
The NFL Network was one of the main reasons I switched to Direct TV, that, and the Sunday ticket, about 60+ more HD channels and counting, the big 10 network, DVR, many more options, etc. etc. I love the NFL network and it was a no brainer for me as it wasn't that much more expensive then my local cable company. I would strongly advise switching, as they are only getting better . .

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Have Dish Network now and I'm so glad I have it. I agree with Dodd, it's not much more expensive and you have so many more channels. NFLN, and the Big Ten Network that just came this year too. Now I don't have to miss anymore Badger Basketball games :D

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Yeah, I can understand why people would be pissed . . . I was as well. But I just switched and had a sat. installed (free of charge), and switched to Direct TV for about the same amount. Take things into your own hands and just switch if you really want the NFL Network, among other things. That will more then likely do more then just hoping the cable companies hop on board.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just a few questions

1) how much is NFL network
2) Apart from the games on thursday and saterday what do they show that u cant already see on the nfl.com

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've read NFL network costs about $.60 per customer to the cable companies which is why they are trying to keep it on their upper tiers.

Yes NFL.com has a lot of clips from NFL Network but it's like saying why get HBO if I can watch trailers on Netflix.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The funny part is, the crap the cable company is doing is just going to end up costing them LOTS of customers. They will force themselves out of business with their bonehead calls.
I'm getting cable included in my rent, so i won't get a dish. But if i ever move, you had better believe i'm gonna check into it.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The funny part is, the crap the cable company is doing is just going to end up costing them LOTS of customers. They will force themselves out of business with their bonehead calls.
I'm getting cable included in my rent, so i won't get a dish. But if i ever move, you had better believe i'm gonna check into it.

I live in an apartment building and cant get dish neither. I get high speed internet with my cable tv too.

If I still lived in my house, I would have gotten a dish. Who cares if we get the NFL Network or not. Hit them where it hurts, theyre a joke and a farce.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:

I live in an apartment building and cant get dish neither. I get high speed internet with my cable tv too.

If I still lived in my house, I would have gotten a dish. Who cares if we get the NFL Network or not. Hit them where it hurts, theyre a joke and a farce.

FYI - you might check things out. I don't believe the apartment owners can legally prevent you from having a dish installed - if that is why you haven't.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't understand how cable companies think this is a good thing........keeping their customers from getting what they want. I mean, they constantly raise our bill anyway, why not just throw it (and the bigten network) in too KEEP us as customers???
Like i said.........in the end, their dragging their feet is gonna cost them thousands of customers.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are on Dish Network out here so I'll see the game Thursday. When we got the dish put in the guy asked my wife if we wanted the NHL package or the NFL channel. Her reply......"See the flag in the garage window? Now what do you think?"

(Packers flag is hanging in garage window for Bears fan across street to look at daily)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts