Game Management

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has forgotten more about football then most on this planet and has done a great job developing Rogers into an elite QB, but his game management is horrible and he continues not to learn, which in the end will prevent him from winning big ball games. His tolerance for penalties and poor special special teams play continue to contribute to the more talented team losing games.

A couple game management issues, end of first half he decides not to stop the clock by spending his last time out when the clock was no issue for the Bears, as it turns out Nelson gets a good return out to Pack 42, but only 18 seconds left, if he uses the TO they have approximately 1 minute left to start the drive.

1 and 10 under 2 40 to play in game, midfield, 3 time outs left most NFL coaches call a run to take it down to the 2 minute warning, assuming you end up anywhere from 2 and 10 to 2nd and 4 you have 2 cracks to extend the drive, the clock is not an issue, worst case you are punting to the Bears with 1 minute 40 seconds left and probably punting them deep into their own territory(of course that is if he kicks the ball away from Hester and demands that the team have great special teams) you can now use your timeouts to get the ball back, instead he calls for a pass which ends up in a 10 yard penalty which in turn leads to the Jones fumble...

then the horrible challenges especially the one at the end of the game, you needed that TO to still give the offense a chance.

Then finally not to immediately let the Bears score with a minute 40 or so left on 1st and goal and then to compound the mistake by playing defense on 2nd and 3rd downs...WTF! if they let them score on 1st down you get the ball back needing probably between 60 and 80 yards to tie the game in a minute 25 with a TO left, did he think they were going to block what turned out to be less then a PAT. Inexcusable.

I usually don't like 2nd guessing coaches but all these were what Lee Corso calls first guessing by the guys I was watching the game with...I know coaches hate it when they have to explain their thinking on why they did or did not do something but this is not brain surgery...if he can not figure it out hire an assistant to sit in the booth and manage the game.

Ah I feel a little better:) not really

Members online

Latest posts