Future

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the season is not over ESPECIALLY in the North, but lets look at the near future regarding RBs.

It is almost a guarantee that if we have a top 5 pick in the 2006 draft that Green is gone. We would almost be assured Bush or Maroney and I am sure there are other top RBs out there to build with.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we'll take a RB in the top 5, especially if there is DL help. You don't often get a chance to get an impact DL (usually only by drafting in the top 10), but RBs are increasingly becoming easy to find.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look around the league at how many mid - late round backs are tearing it up. RB is possible the most replaceable position on the offense. Perhaps not aguy of Green's caliber, but remember, we won the SB with the consistent, if not spectacular, Edgar Bennett.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly digs and TOpf...if you have a good o-line you can plug in anyone...e.g. Denver, or Davenport and Fisher's success in '03.

Green is going to have to play for very cheap wherever he goes.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green's ego would have him playing somewhere - if he's "smart", he'll do what the Rams RB did and step down as a backup.... but, it probably won't happen.

WHY ARE WE NOT BRINGING BACK WALT WILLIAMS?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Green's ego would have him playing somewhere - if he's "smart", he'll do what the Rams RB did and step down as a backup.... but, it probably won't happen.

WHY ARE WE NOT BRINGING BACK WALT WILLIAMS?
Where the HE77 is Walt Williams this issue is baffling me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walt Williams? C'mon guys.....how many teams rushed to sign him when we released him? Doesn't that tell you something? The kid runs hard but the talent level is not there to be an everyday NFL running back.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would back up one moment, DePack... Walt Williams played pretty well in the pre-season.... He's got the talent, I think this is just another case of Sherman not personally liking a guy and (bang) he's gone... TT had to make the cut somewhere and had no time to really look at this guy....

As far as no one else picking him up just yet - how many "other RB's" are having issues as the first quarter of the season ends? Two, that I can think of (out of 32).. and they already have enough depth to not be bothered with looking...

They wasted money on Ben Steele for two weeks - they can do the same with Walt Williams, as well.... Sherman's decision making skills are very obvious here.. and lacking.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True there are alot of RBs, but if you knew you had an excellent pick such as a:

Barry Sanders or
Ladanian Tomlinson

how could you pass it up. If none of the top RBs are worth the risk I agree go D. But you can't pass up a sure thing when it comes along.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie Bush would be awesome but until the Packers do something about the horrible O-Line, I don't see anyone less than a Jim Brown clone gaining any substantial rushing totals.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IP........teams are picking up running backs every day. Yet there he sits. He is a high effort guy that did well in a game or two last season for a few runs. Preseason he was playing against scrubs.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just because Walt Williams hasn't been picked up doesnt mean he's not worth the while to pick him up. You should make your own decisions and not let others dictate what you do. Remember that Brett guy?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thomson made the final call on personnel this year guys. He obviously thinks that the 3 we have on the roster are better than Walt Williams. Unless someone goes down with a season-ending injury, Walt will stay on the practise squad.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NAMES LISTED ON THE PRACTICE SQUAD ------

10 Chad Lucas --WR 6-1 201 23 1 Alabama State FA-05
17 Craig Bragg -- WR/KR 6-1 195 23 R UCLA D6b-05
34 Patrick Dendy -- CB 6-0 190 23 R Rice FA-05
35 Jerron Wishom -- CB 6-0 197 23 R Louisiana Tech FA-05
39 Therrian Fontenot -- CB 5-11 187 23 R Fresno State FA-05
45 Bobby Purify -- RB 6-0 210 23 R Colorado FA-05
46 Zac Woodfin -- LB 6-1 235 22 R Alabama-Birmingham FA-05
61 Joe Hayes -- T/G 6-4 304 24 1 San Jose State FA-05

Certainly, I wish he was there.... but he isn't!

What's more... there seems to be NO info on whereabouts....

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think we should draft Reggie Bush because he is just so good. I would then trade Ahman to some team for a 2nd rounder.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Favreforever721 said:
I still think we should draft Reggie Bush because he is just so good. I would then trade Ahman to some team for a 2nd rounder.

Dang I wish I could find my post that said to trade A. Green last year and everyone called me a crazy fool :p

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
First off, we can't trade ahaman b/c he is a free agent. I know good RBs are fairly easy to find, but great ones aren't. Example: LT, Shaun Alexander, Edge. These are all 1st round picks. I think it would be in our best interest to draft a RB in the 1st round. If we let Ahman go, we will have a need at that position. I love Ahman, but you dont get better by signing Rbs over 30 to big deals. If Rodgers is going to start nex year, he needs a viable RB to take the pressure off him. As for Reggie Bush, I'm not so sure that Lendale White wouldn't be a better option. I'm not sure Reggie has the size to be a 2 carry back in the NFL.

That being said, I also wouldn't mind getting a guy like Laron Landry from LSU. This guy could be the best safety in years. God knows our safeies are worthless and we need a playmaker on D. He could be it. Then go RB in the 2nd round.

Regadless, it's way to early to be seriously considering this stuff. I just thought I'd chime in.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you guys see that run by the Texas RB against the Sooners - he's like the "Flash".... (Course, he's only a freshman this year.... wouldn't happen)

We should make up a total listing of all RB's who are coming out this next year.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I think the Packers should go for Laurence Maroney IF he enters the draft and IF none of the current Packers RBs don't emerge.

He's a proven workhorse unlike Reggie Bush.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark Tauscher, though we should have taken Dan Buenning this past season. I love this Calhoun kid but he's only a junior and I think he might stay for his senior season.

Members online

Latest posts